Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on December 25, 2012
This is the fourth book in the series (+ the one novella in between), and it's still good. I really do think Shelton may be my most favorite cozy writer ever.
Becca Robins, in Killer Maize, is slightly annoying as she obsesses over her attraction to two men (Ian, the younger hunk who is officially her boyfriend, and Sam, the cop she finds attractive and -- unfortunately -- kissed once) AND over the fact that her second ex-husband shows up at the local fair where she's working for this book. I wanted to smack her more than once and tell her to accept her attractions and decide what to do about them! However, this is good; it means that Shelton has made Becca seem just that real.
I also found this mystery to be ... well, more mysterious than the previous tales in the Farmers' Market series. There's a murder, and Scott, Becca's ex-husband, is acting very suspiciously. But then, so's half the tiny town of Orderville. Other than Scott, there seem to be no really obvious candidates for killers, and even the cops (yes, Sam, too) are acting strangely.
I liked all that. The killer, the motive for murder, and the reason for the odd behavior of so many people don't become clear until the end, which means the book is quite fun to read.
My only disappointment is that the end feels too much like an end. I hope Shelton isn't finished with this series, as I've really liked it!
If you're a cozy fan, The Farmers' Market series is excellent. But you could enjoy Killer Maize just on its own as well.
on February 16, 2013
In Paige Shelton's 4th book in The Farmers' Market Mystery series, A Killer Maize, jam-maker Becca Robbins heads to the Swayton County Fall Festival to sell her jams beside carnival rides and corn dog vendors.

The fair has less than stellar turn-out and rickety rides, but that's not the worst of it. Becca's second ex-husband is there, running the shooting gallery. That's makes for some deliciously tasty backstory smeared across Becca's already complicated love life.

But the worst happens when the ferris wheel operator, Virgil is found dead. Whispers of gypsy magic surround the festival and the murder.

Becca begins to wonder if her ex-husband might be keeping more secrets than he did during their marriage.

Ms. Shelton does a fantastic job re-creating the sights, smells, and sounds of a local county fair. Made me long for my town's fair next summer.

Each new character was introduced with such telling details, they came to life in my mind.

I must confess I wasn't quite sure who the killer was or why until the very end. I love a good, well-plotted mystery.

The writing is very clean and makes for a very quick, smooth read. Reminded me of a nice sake. You forget you're drinking it and just enjoy its effects.

I loved learning more about Becca and watching her love life evolve further. This is my favorite part of a series: coming back to characters I love.

After this book, let's just say I will never ever set foot in a corn maze.
on May 2, 2013
A decent book although Becca is getting annoying with her immature behavior. Her relationship with Ian was interesting.The one with Sam is boring and predictable. I'm likely to stop reading these books. It's decently crafted but I don't care about Becca anymore and figure she's made another stupid relationship choice.
on May 26, 2014
I like this series of books. It takes place in S C and I live in N C. I have friends who work at farmer's markets so I can relate to their careers. The characters are down to earth, just everyday people. Mysteries are my favorite read, and this series keeps you guessing to the end. If you like light mysteries, these are for you.
on January 9, 2013
Love the stories and the recipe s. Can't wait for the next story. Also enjoyed the other recommendations. Looking forward to making the different recipes. Made the strawberry jam from the earlier book, absolutely delish.
on March 18, 2014
as with the other two books in this series that I have reviewed above, these are excellent stories; the writer has a knack for developing her characters well, having good story lines and excellent endings. Excellent series.
on August 4, 2015
Really enjoyed reading this one and meeting one of her ex-husbands. Never been in a maze but after reading this I am not sure I want to. She keeps me turning pages and looking for answers.
on December 10, 2012
Becca and a few of her fellow Bailey's Market vendors are moonlighting at a small county fair, but the fair seems to be a total dud -- until someone turns up dead.

Becca's ex-husband, Scott #2, appears out of no where and discovers the dead body of the ferris wheel operator, Virgil. Virgil was a recent acquaintance of Becca's, and she feels bad that she didn't get to know him better before his untimely demise. Her guilt drives her to investigate, and she quickly finds herself on the trail of "gypsy magic" in this odd little town.

While investigating Virgil's past and murder, Becca is also struggling with her relationships with Ian and Sam -- who does her heart belong to?

I did enjoy the character development, especially the relationship between Becca and her ex. But, I wasn't a fan of the main plot... it seemed to be a bunch of different tangents muddled together to form one weird story. I definitely hated the resolution to the mystery of Virgil's death. Everything came together pretty awkwardly, and the actions of the characters defied logic so much that it left me feeling unsettled. The resolution seems to be a reoccurring weakness in the installments of this series, which is really unfortunate. I'm not sure if I'll continue reading this series in the future.
on July 21, 2015
It ws a comfortable cosy mystery and I enjoyed this first title. I plan to read the others in the series. I like the characters and the romantic tension that I feel will continue.
on February 15, 2016
It's ok as far as cozy mysteries go. Would recommend to someone looking for an easy read without having to pay too much attention.