Salon Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 17, 2008
Gerry McGovern's "Killer Web Content" *seems* to be a primer about writing "killer content." And it is. He talks about simple ideas (e.g., "killer, not filler," or, on the Net, "in self-service mode, people go on gut instinct") in simple sentences, with lots of words in red so you get the idea. Then you put those ideas all together and think about them. And *then* you start looking at websites created from the grad school universe by professionals, all too often FOR PROFESSIONALS, that leave you - us - Everyman - frustrated or even amused (and that is not the intent). Ah, the epiphany: you realize that too many people are getting paid too much money when they have no idea how to talk to us: the folks who are surfing at 2AM in hotel rooms, trying to learn something for tomorrow's presentation to the Executive Committee. Obviously McGovern has practiced medicine: you listen to the patient, and the patient will tell you what the problem is. You listen to the customer, and the customer will tell you what she needs to hear. You listen to your children, etc.

Of course, the devil is in the details. Would that there were a standard operating procedure to ferret out the words that each of us wants to hear. Then we could fire Sales and Marketing - all they do is get us folks in Technology and Operations into trouble, right? Nope, says McGovern, you have to talk to people, relate to them, listen to them, hear what they say, abstract the content, try it out on your site. Each word is a hypothesis: true or false. Does it work? Does it bring people? You measure, you re-frame, you redesign, you re-relate. Surely it must be easier than this! All Jeff Bezos did is slap some stuff onto a website, and look at him! Right? McGovern just smiles, probably lifts a Guinness - he hints at his pleasure in Ireland - and, secure in the knowledge that you'll reread his book, just goes on about his business, writing and consulting.

Oh, it seems so simple. Oh, it's not really that complicated. Oh, it is so, so worthwhile. Read the book carefully.

David Block MD, PhD
Editor & Publisher, "The RoadeWarrior: every consultant's ezine"
[...]
david@roadewarrior.com
3 people found this helpful
on May 24, 2017
Killer Web Content made me a better web writer starting the next day. Its practical and memorable information is so useful that I use it in the web writing class I teach. It is as relevant in 2017 as it was when it was first written in 2006. Gerry McGovern has a core grasp on the nature of ineffective web writing and how to solve it with practical techniques. He hammers it home with wonderful clarity. It is a rare book that informs the way this one does. He uses real examples, plenty of photos and graphics, taking an approach that is very alive and engaged. I recommend this book to every single person who writes for the web - beginner and veteran alike.
on August 2, 2017
I decided to improve my ability of creating web content by reading several books about this topic. This is the first I read, so it is hard for me to compare it with others, but without comparisson it is ok. Since it was written 10 years ago, maybe not all information is up to date&trends, but mostof them are still relevant. Author wrote about his experiences with writing, so I find it quite usefull.
on August 24, 2013
At the time Gerry McGovern wrote this book in 2006, a lot of websites were using bland seo content just to drive traffic, but Gerry foresaw that intelligent, customer-centric content would be the ultimate tool of online business. This book is one that pivoted the discussion forward about the value of content and how to do it right.
on June 3, 2008
I purchased this book specifically to read more about the process for researching usability issues. I am not a market researcher, but I am a web developer who understands SEO, basic usability issues and general web practices. I found this book to be well-written, simple to understand and it provides a pretty good map for researching your web audience. I have actually read it twice now, finding even more the second time around.

I highly recommend this book, I still use it as a resource as I learn more about market research, something I don't particularly care for, but that is essential to my success as a brand manager and web developer.

Gerry is a genius.
One person found this helpful
on October 23, 2009
Its a simple compact informative read that does not blow your mind in a eureka style way but which focuses your thinking and teaches you when and how to grow content. It is one of those books that you will read more than once. In fact it is the type of book to keep on hand and read through when ever your website starts to get a little fuzzy.
on June 16, 2016
Met expectation. Thanks
on July 6, 2009
As a 12 year veteran on online marketing I found this book full of "Well Duh!" statements and information. Don't get me wrong. I found it also contained quite a few useful reminders. I feel the book lacked enough concrete techniques or suggestions to be very helpful to anyone who was not already an experienced salesman or marketer with decent written communication skills. However, it is a nice refresher (and probably a better choice) for anyone who might be starting a new project or who just feels a bit out of practice.
2 people found this helpful
on November 25, 2012
I liked this book a lot. It was a fun, easy read and was packed with great information. I'm sure I'll refer to it again.
on February 21, 2010
I recently took a course on how to write really good website content, and purchased the book "How To Write Killer Web Content". I am very pleased with the book, and would recommend it to anyone trying to improve their web content writing skills.