Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Jon Batiste Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,345 reviews(4 star). See all 9,528 reviews
on September 18, 2017
Interesting book. Provided some background regarding the principal characters involved with the assassination of Lincoln and the additional targets of assault and death (Grant, Seward and others).
on September 23, 2017
An excellent book, well writing, factual, including facts I had not read before. I have read several of these "killing" books and have enjoyed them all.
on June 1, 2017
Well written in a dramatic style, with details I was not previously familiar with. Puts the time period into perspective with a balance approach to the subject matter.
on May 6, 2017
Found this to be a very interesting and historical book. Truly enjoyed the follow-up on the aftermath if the people involved in this part of history.
on February 7, 2014
The book is best read by first understanding its structure. It begins with an explanation of the end of h civil war battles leading to Lee's surrender. This section is necessary to understand the background of the times, the politics,mood, and simultaneously motivations of Booth and Lincoln. It is the slowest part of the book for those who are not history or war buffs. However, you would be better served by skipping this section than the rest of the book. The next section begins the transition into a riveting page turner that really transports you to he final days of Lincoln. I couldn't put it down and due o my own distractions have had trouble reading much of anything lately. This was a fascinating book that reminds you of your most captivating teachers and museum visits in school.
on July 2, 2013
I bought this book to replace the one my brother lent me and I lent to my step-mom which she lent to a friend who lost it.....(We all enjoyed reading his rascal, 'cept my brother who buys books but never reads any.............)

This new book which did the replacement is just as good as the first book. Mr. O, whom I find Impossible to listen to on TV does write a pretty clear-cut book on this subject. I do find it hard to believe Mr. O did all the research ...but it is well written and clearly expressed. There are no new thoughts on the subject as far as I was concerned...just lots more little details. All the material has been gone over with such a fine tooth comb in the past...but, Mr. O puts down the stuff in a way that keeps you turning pages. It was a good and easy read.
I'd say, sure, buy the thing and learn what color Booth's horse was...(lots of detail !!)
on April 16, 2017
Nicley done - very simple version. Nothing new here, just an easy read.
on December 4, 2016
This was an excellent book even for adults it presented a very historical account and was quite nice to read.
on March 5, 2017
Interesting and informative. A good read. Lots of information that was new to me. It kept my interest so it was hard to stop reading until I finished.
on November 19, 2012
I will begin by saying I really did enjoy this book. I think this book got a lot of negative reviews because people took it too literally as a history book. I know that this book is not 100% historically accurate, but I don't think this fact takes away from the book as a whole. While of course this book should stick as close to historically accurate as possible, my personal view is some details were changed to make the book more interesting and for people to understand it better by connecting to familiar details.

If this book is approached as a thriller, it is a great and exciting read. If approached as a history book, it comes up a little short, and history buffs should probably avoid it. That being said, either way you view this story, it cannot be argued that it paints Lincoln as a man who believed in the phrase "One country, one destiny," a man who sought after a united America, and I think those are characteristics we can all admire.