Workplace Solutions Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Discover it  Kansas Fire TV Stick Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 10:24:30 AM PDT
L Clark says:
I paid $359 for my original Kindle with a promise from Amazon that all Kindle books would only be $9.99. I won't pay $13.99 for this Kindle from one of my favorite authors.

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 8:23:30 AM PDT
MNGrouser says:
Doesn't your $359 Kindle become sort of an expensive paperweight then??

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 12:09:02 AM PDT
I think there is a BIG problem when the traditional book prices are less than Kindle prices. Today, I wanted to purchase a book and it was $12.99 for the Kindle, and $10.50 for the print version. Part of the allure was convenience and lower book costs. Up until now, I was satisfied with the cost of my e-books, but this was from a new writer (relatively), with a large publishing house (Macmillan). Was it done to cover costs or just because they could?

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 11:51:40 AM PDT
Princess689 says:
It is sad that our favorite authors' kindle ebook is more expensive than the hardback and the paperback. I read the books on my IPhone and my laptops - glad I didn't buy a Kindle like I started. I refuse to pay more than 9.99 for these ebooks. You can't do anything with them like resell as you can with the traditional books. You can't even lend them without a 14 day restriction if you want to introduce a friend to a good author! I have begun waiting until the book is offered as a used book, then make my purchase. I hate doing it but will not be gouged.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 1:39:53 PM PDT
i agree about the inflated prices, but the kindle has the advantage that the print can be made to a reasonable, readable size. the newer books are using smaller and smaller type to save costs i presume, but after a certain age, the type face is too small to be read comfortably or at times in the newest paperbacks, at all. maybe this is the price we pay for being literate and living long enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 1:50:04 AM PDT
Ravenwald says:
what i wonder is when they first started selling e books i read somewhere that you'd be able to download the book to a kindle for free is you'd already bought the physical book. this idea seems to have fallen by the wayside!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 9:27:45 AM PDT
I agree with you. I love my Kindle but I am not happy about the ebook prices.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 8:13:08 AM PDT
I love my kindle, but prices higher than $9.99 seems ridiculous at this point. There are plenty of book options under $10 for the kindle. I have enough patience to wait until the "get it now" price comes down. I like to watch for good buys on kindle e-books and buy several of them. By the time I am finished reading those the price might be down on the others that I want.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 5:54:35 AM PDT
highlandlas says:
If you're buying paperbacks, then the book prices are generally lower than the Kindle price, but $9.99 - $14.99 for a Kindle book is at least $10 cheaper than buying a hardback and, personally, I prefer hardbacks when I buy books. When an author I like comes out with a new book, I don't want to wait until it finally comes out in paperback. I can't wait for the next Reacher book to come out and will gladly spend the $15.00 or whatever it is to get it on Kindle rather than paying $26 or more for the hardback. Reselling is not an issue for me because I don't resell my books (which is one reason my "office" is overflowing!). Buying the book on Kindle means I can keep it forever and not have to find the space in my bookshelves for it. Not to mention the convenience of being able to take it everywhere, read it everywhere and not have to lug around a 5 lb. book in the process. Kindle will fit in my purse or tote and I don't even realize it's there -- not so for the hardback books I so love.

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 5:23:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2011 5:25:32 AM PDT
kruizerchick says:
The whole I reason I got a Kindle (the price was eye-brow raising when I bought mine) was because I could get new books at $9.99. I have always waited for the paperback because I didn't want to pay the hardback price. Now that the Kindle pricing has been raised, I refuse to buy them. I am now waiting for paperback editions again. Or I am reading cheap books by unknown authors. Some of these actually turn out to be pretty good, but man... does anyone care about grammar and just plain sloppy content anymore? I read one of these $2.99 books the other day and, while the story line was actually pretty good, I almost couldn't stand the number of grammar issues. (Even you are self-publishing, at least get your mom to proofread your book!! Geez.)

Oh, and by the way, highlandlas... I have seen some Kindle prices exactly the same as the hardcover price. One was over $17. REALLY not paying that!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011 4:01:53 PM PDT
Robin says:
I agree that the prices are too high. The publishers are price-gouging. They don't have to pay for the paper or binding or shipping or storage or any of those costs. This Reacher book is $14.27 in hardback and $13.99 for the kindle? That's absurd. I love my kindle, but I can find a lot of books for $9.99 to read, and then get the others from the library if I really want to read them. You just have to be patient.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011 11:10:53 AM PDT
J. Stewart says:
highlandas, not sure what you are talking about when you say hardcover books are generally $10 more than the Kindle prices. This book is a perfect example. There is a token coupe dimes in price difference between the hardcover and the Kindle price. Sometimes the Kindle price is actually higher thanthe hardcover price. It's almost never $5 less let alone $10. Perhaps you are the extreme minority that pays the cover price for hardcovers (but if so, why are you posting at Amazon)? Otherwise the stat doesn't jive with reality.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 11:41:21 AM PDT
S.M. O'Brien says:
It's unfortunate that I won't be able to immediately read the latest books by my favorite authors (W.E.B. Griffin, Lee Child, J.A. Jance, John Sandford, etc.) as they are released over the next few months, but I simply will not pay a dead tree price for electrons that I cannot share or sell. I've gotten my money's worth from my kindle this last couple years, and I can make myself wait for someone to resell their hard copies of my favorite authors' books at a fraction of the original asking price...
Hmm, tell me, Big Six, what profit will you realize from that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 3:28:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 3:28:52 PM PDT
Robin says:
I agree with you. Or I'll buy it in hardback at Amazon or Costco for the same price and lend it to everyone I know. There are a lot of books out there, and I'll choose to only buy books that are reasonably priced to read on my kindle.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 4:45:34 PM PDT
I understand that the publishers are a lot of the problem for the price of the Kindle books, but Amazon is a huge company and if they refuse the stock the book until the price comes down that knocks a huge chunk of the profit off the top of the greedy publishers paychecks. Amazon sells a lot of books for them. We can also look at the other side it is sending more people back to their libraries to read the hard copy.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 8:17:31 AM PDT
Quiet Girl says:
I will not buy any book over $9.99. I was given the Kindle as a gift, and had no interest in purchasing it specifically due to the problems with sharing and the pricing issue. However since I have it, I have read a lot of very bad .99 to 3.99 novels. I will again go back to paperbacks, more because I can dip into them and re-read favorite sections and skip over the boring sections

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 4:27:13 AM PDT
Despite all our protests, nothing has the power to move publishers more than their profits and losses statements. If you don't like the price, don't buy.

And a word to Amazon; you have power. You are capable of bringing your customers reasonable prices. If you refuse to sell a Kindle book at the publishers' demanded prices, the loss of revenue for you is temporary. For the publisher, it is an opportunity lost--and so are the profits.

The bankruptcy of Borders portends the future of print book selling. Its death is the canary in the mines of the publishing industry. The paradigm is changing and so should publishers. To ignore the readers is certain death.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 3:49:54 PM PDT
I too paid $359 for my Kindle only to discover I couldn't download wirelessly. Now Amazon.com has changed wireless carrier to Alltel BUT only for the new Kindles - not the first generation Kindles like ours. So I got screwed both ways!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 10:46:01 AM PDT
No, it means that people won't _pay_ $13.99 for this kindle book. There's a bell curve to piracy, the more unreasonable people think a price is, the higher likelihood that that thing will be pirated extensively. You'd think that the book houses would have learned that from the music industry, but apparently not.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 4:11:11 PM PDT
stkhlder3 says:
What you are saying is true, and I have a few authors that I cant wait til the price goes down to 9.99, but I also love not having to find places for hardbacks anymore! I love to re-read alot of authors so it is not just the price of the e-book, it is not having to find the storage of the books, Now I have a bit over 160 books on my Kindle and I cringe at ..Where would I put all the additional books????

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 4:35:14 PM PDT
I could understand a marginal increase to allow for the cost of living, but a 150% increase ($9.99 to $14.99) is too much to accept. There are plenty of authors who would be willing to sell their books at sub $10. Perhaps these authors should start a cooperative website and sell their ebooks directly without the exorbitant profiteering?

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 10:34:05 AM PDT
I just bought my Kindle 3G. I can down load on the Kindle or from Amazon's website. I am a dedicated reader and a very fast reader. I spent in excess of $200 last month. Certainly much less than if I were purchasing a hardback or paperback. I love my Kindle because I hate shopping and also cannot store all the many books I read. I end up donating them to the library. Now I have a very compact library and can reread anytime I want. I find just the new releases are $14.99. I have been reading books that are .99 except when a best seller or new release is available that I MUST have. I live in Hawaii and the lowest book prices are available at Costco - 15.99 to 19.99. Electronic reading is excellent for me.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 5:48:16 PM PDT
Fred Forbes says:
I just ordered 2 recent releases in hard cover because they were within $1 of the kindle price. When they are that close, just can't bring myself to go higher for the kindle version which is far lower cost to produce and can't be passed around. The problem is the kindle version is handled as an "agency" arrangement (Thanks to Steve Jobs and Apple) and the seller has to leave pricing to the publisher - hence that notice on the high priced kindle books. Guess that does not apply to hard covers so the low ball prices are one form of Amazon's revenge. As they point out, let them price it and a lot more will be sold.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 6:11:48 AM PDT
lordbishop34 says:
I have a problem with the pricing as well, but I will likely get this in audiobook form. If you havn't tried it the Reacher books are best enjoyed in audiobook form.

As for this pricing, there is only so much Amazon can really do, they have to have content remember ebooks are easily put up for download anyhwere. Book companies do not need companies like Amazon and B&n to sell ebooks, they can do it from there sites. So Amazon and B&n have to be careful how they negotiate with publishers. Remember people rate the devices by the quality of the new Best Sellers they carry. Their are plenty of good books on Kindle at good prices, more then anyone could probably read in a lifetime, but people focus on the new best selling authors..its what is important to them so Amazon can't just refuse to carry a certain book because they will get a bigger backlash then the prices cause.

Eventually publishers will realise the sweet spot for generating profit with ebooks, ideally it won't take too long. Still hoping the library lending will start soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 7:04:40 PM PDT
Robin says:
I find more and more books are priced too high, and I buy fewer and fewer. I would rather buy the printed book at Costco for the same price as the e-book on amazon, or a dollar more. At least I can take that to a used book store and sell it, or donate it to a library and share it with others. As I find fewer books for my kindle, it becomes less likely that I will buy the next generation kindle (or any other e-reader). I paid almost $400 for my KindleDX (my third kindle, thank you very much), and find I don't use it as much as I'd like to. This is how the price point will impact Amazon in the long run.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about