Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services biglittlelies biglittlelies biglittlelies  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-33 of 33 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 18, 2011, 5:27:20 PM PDT
Too high of a price-going to the library unless I am traveling and don't want to carry a hardback. Also-libraries have books to lend electronically to all except Kindle these days. Whats with that?

Posted on Sep 30, 2011, 9:05:52 AM PDT
The Doctor says:
My wife hates reading which she blames on medical school so does not understand my love of books. Fortunately, the Kindle has been a great peacemaker in our marriage as I do not have to find extra room for the hundreds of books on the Kindle. However, when I object ot the publisher's price on the Kindle version I too resort to buying the hardback or resign myself to a wait till the price drops because either I am too cheap to spend the extra or I am sensible in waiting.

I just wish that the books would be no more than 9.99 as I seem to remember this being the promise when Kindles were first sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011, 9:12:58 AM PDT
J. Stewart says:
But if you prefer the Kindle why do you switch to hardcover which usually will still cost just as much if not a little more? Sure, once in a while it may be a buck cheaper. Do you really later re-sell the old hardcovers? Or do you just not buy from Kindle on principle?

I think the publisher's (not Amazon's) pricing scam is frustrating, but I still don't buy hardcovers. That's would just be shooting myself in the foot since I prefer the e-format over the big, bulky hardcovers.

The $9.99 "promise" has been covered extensively here for over a year, since the publishers first established full control over retail pricing. It was never a "promise" or "guarantee" and even if it had been, there's absolutely nothing Amazon can do about it. They were often selling us those titles at a loss and were fine to continue to. But Apple and the publishers changed the model and the publishers have been very clear that they expect a higher profit margin on the e-books because they believe the margin erosion with paper books had become unsustainable. So with sales volume shifting very rapidly toward e-books, they saw it as the last chance to recover a more comfortable margin or risk the long term viability of the business. As consumers we don't have to like or agree with that. But buying the hardcover doesn't change it. Only a LOT of us not buying at all would change that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 9:37:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2011, 9:50:14 AM PDT
Elena says:
I agree about the quality of the books. I've just got a Kindle for the first time and began by downloading some free classics - George Eliot etc. But the content was dreadful - spelling and grammar errors, no paragraphs, no indents etc., just endless pages of run-on text - and this was so irritating that I gave up trying to read them. It's really put me off. Are all Kindle books like this or only the free and cheap ones?

Posted on Oct 19, 2011, 9:44:03 AM PDT
For the most part, I've found the books on Kindle to be formatted correctly--especially the newer releases by major publishers. It's the 'indies' that aren't taking the time to do it correctly. And yes, I agree with you, it's most annoying and it detracts from the enjoyment of reading, when there are an abundance of errors.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 10:00:03 AM PDT
J. Stewart says:
Most Kindle books I have read -- probably over 100 total -- have at least a few minor errors and some formatting mistakes. But most are minor and not that distracting. What you are describing sounds far worse. I haven't used much of the free or super cheap material. The electronic content is provided by the publishers. Newer books tend to be formatted from electronic masters but older books are sometimes scanned and converted and are more likely to have mistakes.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012, 6:07:25 PM PST
Amazingly, I am finding new authors at the $2.99 price that I really enjoy... sorry old authors with greedy publishers! : )

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2014, 2:54:45 PM PDT
Since when does $9.99 to $14.99 = 150% increase?
It's an increase to 150% of the original price but represents a 50% increase in price.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about