- Item Weight: 8 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 12.8 ounces
- ASIN: B003DZ165W
- Item model number: 515-1037-00
- Average Customer Review: 4,850 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
- Date first available at Amazon.com: July 28, 2010
Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard)
- Light draws power from Kindle device. No batteries required
- Built-in, retractable LED reading light pulls out from the back cover when needed, and slides away to become invisible when not in use
- Stylish genuine leather exterior. Soft, grey, microfiber suede interior protects Kindle
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Our new design seamlessly incorporates a reading light into the cover, so you can carry your Kindle wherever you go and always have a reading light with you. Simply pull the light out to illuminate Kindle when you need it, and slide it away to be invisible when you don't. And since the light draws its power from Kindle, no batteries are needed.The contoured, pebble-grain leather (available in 7 different colors) keeps your Kindle safe and secure, while the soft charcoal microfiber interior protects the screen from scratches. The cover is designed to fold back, so you can read comfortably with just one hand
- Product Measures:
- Recommended Ages: 13 - & Up years
Our new design seamlessly incorporates a reading light into the cover, so you can carry your Kindle wherever you go and always have a reading light with you. Simply pull the light out to illuminate Kindle when you need it, and slide it away to be invisible when you don't. And since the light draws its power from Kindle, no batteries are needed.
The contoured, pebble-grain leather (available in 7 different colors) keeps your Kindle safe and secure, while the soft charcoal microfiber interior protects the screen from scratches. The cover is designed to fold back, so you can read comfortably with just one hand.
The built-in, retractable LED light pulls out to illuminate Kindle, and slides away when not in use.
Never Be Without a Light
A permanent part of the cover, the reading light is located in the top right-hand corner of the back cover. When needed, simply pull the light out and it automatically illuminates, eliminating the need for a separate power switch. To turn the light off, slide it back in to the corner of the cover.
Since the light is powered by Kindle's battery, no batteries are needed.
How It Works
The cover's hinge points are gold-plated, to ensure a reliable electrical connection. Gold is used because of its ability to make good electrical contact even with low force, and for its corrosion resistance.
On the Go
You'll never be without a reading light, and since the light draws its power from Kindle, no batteries are needed.
Amazon’s official Kindle lighted cover features contoured, pebble-grain, cowhide leather available in 7 different colors.
Read Kindle easily in the dark with Amazon's revolutionary, all-new lighted leather cover.
The hinge points are gold-plated to ensure a reliable electrical connection. No batteries required.
Read easily with one hand, with or without the light on.
Protect your Kindle on the go, and never be without a reading light
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1)The Weight - The lighted leather case is a nice weight, sturdy and comfortable to hold. In ounces it is about the weight of the kindle itself however don't let that concern you. With the case on it feels like a medium sized paperback, however it is far much more comfortable to hold. It's easy to hold the case open like a book (nice for couch and table type reading) or to fold the front back and close it with the bungee so that the bungee doesn't hang around (this is good for bedtime reading).Closing the front back with bungee keeps the case folded in position and you don't have to worry about it bothering you. BTW THIS CASE FOLDS BACK 100% - Very comfortable. In sum very comfortable to read with the case and very sturdy.
2) The uneven lighting - Amazon's pictures don't do this case justice. The light hits the ENTIRE screen. Yes if you look closely it's brighter in the top right corner than in the bottom left but Amazon's pics make it look the top is lighted while the bottom is dark. There is good light all over the screen. Trust me I'm fussy about these things - the lighting will not bother you, your entire screen will be lighted and it is extremely pleasant to read in the dark.
*Final Thoughts - Great case, good quality, works well, kindle feels very secure and protected (I would feel comfortable slipping this case into my backpack or suitcase and I think it would sustain some mild impact). Lastly hinges are a non-issue, casing of the kindle will not get damaged with normal or even slightly aggressive use.Read more ›
|Length: 4:05 Mins|
Check out my video review for a size comparison of this case against my Kindle 2 and also an actual hardcover and softcover book, and then a lights out comparison of the Mighty Bright vs Lighted Leather cover.
Sorry for the shaky camera, it's the best I could do with one hand!
If you're interested in seeing a video review of the Kindle 3 itself, check out the one I did one here:
1. The light is much better than I thought it would be. Using it in a darkened room I found that the light did the job very well. In a pitch black room, it performs even better. While the screen corner opposite the light is a bit dimmer than other areas, there is no problem reading the page at all.
2. The light gets its power from the Kindle itself, through the gold-plated hinges which attach it to the cover, so batteries are a thing of the past. When your Kindle goes to sleep, the light will go out as well. It will also turn off when you slide it back into the case.
3. The cover is slim, well-fitted and very easy to attach and detach using the hinges. The inside has good padding. The leather outer surface has a nice pebbled texture with the exception of a smooth area along the edge of the front. While stiff enough to protect the reader, the cover is slight flexible and the front easily folds behind when reading so you can hold your Kindle with one hand if you like.
4. A great plus is that the cover has an elastic cord that fits into a groove on the front of it.Read more ›
Attaching Kindle is very simple using the directions on the product page. Make sure you heed the warning to work at it until ALL the gold is covered, which tells you Kindle is securely attached. Removing is quite simple: Slide down the top hook and rotate Kindle right off. I'm using a fingertip to do it rather than a fingernail. It's quick and easy enough to attach and detach Kindle that I won't have any difficulty switching to "naked" reading at will.
The cord seems to me strong enough for its purpose, but only time will tell. When the cover is closed, the cord is buried in a "channel" in the front cover so should not normally be subjected to much stress and strain. I did remove the little "flag" attached to the cord. Even without using fingernails, it's easy to open the cord up. Others have posted about the cord being in the way during reading, especially when holding Kindle and case in "open book" form. I put the cord between Kindle and the back cover, solving the issue to my own satisfaction. YMMV.
I don't think I'll use the "book style" reading position much. I'll "break the spine" as I did with my K2's case and read with the front cover folded flat against the back. It feels good like that, but when I have good light and will be reading a while I expect I'll do as I did with my K2: Remove Kindle from the case and read "naked." Still, even brand new, the leather folds flat easily and it's comfortable to hold and read.
The light seems to me to be well placed.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Worked VERY well for our first generation Kindles. We got hot pink and black, and the pink was a great color! Read morePublished 1 day ago by Tabatha Hawkins
I purchased my Kindle a long time ago but I just had to come back to say that I bought this cover almost 8 years ago and it is STILL working as intended with daily abuse. Read morePublished 10 days ago by Gamergurl
Not having a good working lighted cover made my kindle all but unusable. Wish Amazon still made them. Waited over a year for this one. Great design.Published 27 days ago by LilyHiker
The kindle would not stay in the center hooks. I returned it.Published 27 days ago by Margaret Johnson