Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on August 9, 2012
As a fairly new author in the world of ebook publishing, the absolute worst part of the process was getting the formatting right. My books are non fiction, & the standard method taught by most is fine for fiction, but looked pretty sad for my non fiction books, particularly the auto indents that appeared on everything, whether I wanted them or not!

I have two books re formatted with Lis's instructions now, and they look great. Clickable Table of Contents, nice headings, sub headings, & indents only where I wanted them to be!

Was this easy? To be honest the first book was a struggle, (but this was more due to me being pretty challenged in the html department.) The second re format however, was a breeze, as I now had a "template" to work from. Had I taken the time to download the example files that are provided it would have been a lot easier I admit.

The instructions are clear, logically laid out, & pretty easy to follow. No expensive software required and the end result is great. For someone totally new to code, files, & linking this may be a bit beyond them, but there is an option in the book to contact the author, who will inexpensively do the job for you.

Perhaps my only criticism (& the reason for 4*'s) is not getting a clear enough picture of the relationship between the 3 files that are required. Once I got my head around that though, everything fell in place nicely.

This is a great guide for non fiction authors willing to spend an hour or two grasping the concepts of proper formatting. No more outsourcing required!
on August 23, 2012
My book, Liberty Inherited, was already out in paperback when I decided to offer it on Kindle. Not knowing any better, I just uploaded the same file I used for the paperback to the Kindle converter. Based on content, the Kindle version of book received great reviews but there were some complaints about the formatting.

I saw Liz Sowerbutts' book the Kindle Nonfiction Formatting Guide and decided to give it a try. I am glad that I did. Now Liberty Inherited is a fully formatted book with navigational Table-of-Content, functioning external and internal links, properly formatted graphics, and a vastly improved text, all of which the original version lacked. Additionally, the properly formatted book looks equally well on all Kindle devices. Overall, the changes I was able to make using Ms. Sowerbutts' guide has increased the book's readability and has created a much improved experience for the reader.

In the guide Ms. Sowerbutts takes you step-by-step through the process of properly formatting a nonfiction book for Kindle devices. The steps are fairly easy to follow and, if everything is typed in correctly, will produce a top-notch formatted book. You just need to have faith in the process and pay extremely close attention to what you are doing.

The only negative I found in the guide is that it does not explain the insertion of graphics very well. It touches on the subject, such as what size they should be, but then in very vague terms tell you how to insert them in the file. For several hours I was left trying to figure out how the image files would show up in the formatted book. Fortunately, about 10 years ago, I had taken an HTML class and I slowly began to remember how to insert an image if I was using HTML to create a website. I decided to use the same method and it worked. Ms. Sowerbutts would have saved me a lot of time and frustration if she had provided more detail on images and graphics in the guide.

Final verdict: it is an excellent guide for formatting a book for Kindle and I give it 4 STARS only because it did not sufficiently cover images. For the price, I say give it a try. You may be surprised how easy it is and, once learned, you will be able to format all of your books. This is very important to anyone serious about writing Kindle books as it provides knowledge that you can use over and over again. This makes the guide a must-have tool for any serious Kindle author.
I bought and read this short eBook as one of the books to help me write my own "Book Publishing Instructions" book. As I bought and read it near the end of my writing process, it was only marginally helpful, and I ended up using none of the ideas presented in this book. If I had bought it earlier in the writing process, it would have been more helpful. By the time I bought it, I already knew most of what was presented in this book. I was primarily seeking an easy way to enable the Kindle Table of Contents button and the Kindle Guide through submitting an HTML document to Kindle Direct Publishing.

Though there were a few hints that were helpful, I ended up finding my own way. Nevertheless, if one is looking to publishing their book solely on the Kindle, this is a good introductory guide. If, however, one wants to publish their book for the iPad, Nook, and as a paperback, there are other more complete guides which might be helpful.

So have you read lots of other Kindle Publishing Guides? You may not need this book. Have you read no other guides? Well, then maybe check out this book as well as a few others.
on August 9, 2012
I write fiction, but wanted to learn a little more about adding charts, maps and other pictures and found this book fit the bill very well. It gave me just what I needed, and more. The instructions are clear and concise and I'm sure I will be consulting it frequently as I learn more. Readers also have the opportunity to get templates from the author -- a great bonus. I noticed a few small typos toward the begining of the book, but they weren't enough to spoil the reading or the content. If it were possible I'd give it 4.5 stars, but since it deserves better than a 4 I've given it 5 stars. It's definitely worth a look.
on September 16, 2012
I found this book by Lis Sowerbutts extremely useful. First, the book itself is neatly designed -a good example of a well formatted non-fiction book. I have read other books about the subject before, and none of them look as good as this one.

Explanations and instructions are clear. Thanks to her, I found out about a few programs and services that will definitely use, like Notepad++, and Scrivener.

I had always been reluctant to learn any HTML (I even run a web site without knowing anything about it), but after reading Lis's book it sounded not so dreadful, and I am giving it a try.

A pair of reviewers commented there is some confusion regarding the different sorts of files involved in creating a Kindle book, but a two-minute Internet search can give one the answer.

Moreover, Lis's customer service is superb. If one subscribes to her newsletter, she will send some sample files to practice formatting and conversion. Her newsletter is informative too.

In the end, if the book I intend to format by myself does not turn out as good as it should be, I would definitely hire Lis to do it for me.
on September 27, 2013
We were looking for a guide on ebook formatting for non-fiction books and this is probably the best one around for the genre. Her straightforward no-nonsense approach to the subject is a refreshing change from the hyperbole in some of the books on formatting.

We ended up hiring her for our final formatting because there was a lot riding on the success of our venture into ebook publishing. Her competence and professional service were evident throughout the process and we ended up with a Bestseller in a few short days after publishing ("Morehouse Farm Critter Knits"). We recommend not only the book, but also her formatting service.
on November 7, 2012
Highly Recommended Best guide anywhere with a straight no nonsense, time saving approach to formatting your book!

This guide will help you achieve those 5 gold stars from your customers when they purchase your product. The professional look of your book will in turn allow you to achieve more sales. A professional appearance for your product is a must to set you apart from all the others when you are selling in such a global market.

This author has gone out of her way to provide an excellent tutorial with descriptive information and graphics and also includes follow up after your purchase with updates and additional resources.

Save yourself time and frustration - buy it now! This is one purchase that will pay for itself almost immediately.
on April 4, 2013
I purchased Lis's e-book to help with the conversion of my printed book. Unlike other guides, Lis does not promise I'll be able to "convert any book in two hours!" On the contrary, she details many common pitfalls, and gives clear paths to avoiding them. I was a bit intimidated by her frank assessment of the unforgiving nature of conversion - but I would rather get the real story before wading in up to my neck. As a bonus, readers can sign up for helpful and encouraging e-mails from Lis, and download example files. All this makes me feel like I have enrolled in a course with a good teacher, rather than just buying an e-book manual. Thanks Lis!
on January 12, 2013
I have written many non-fiction works for Kindle - and have routinely come across little formatting questions that no one seemed to be able to answer. Then I found this book (thanks to a colleague who recommended it). It is a great guide for non-fiction writers who want a workable table of contents, not to mention dealing with other Kindle challenges like bullets. Get this book if you write non-fiction for Kindle. It will save you a ton of time and a lot of headaches.
on January 12, 2013
I've been following this author on her blog for many years now and I always appreciated her no-nonsense approach.

I bought all her ebooks on travel tips and when she announced the publishing of her Kindle Nonfiction Guide, I was sure she knew what she was talking about.

So I tested it when I was preparing my "future nonfiction ebook" and I can testify that her instructions are easy to follow and that it works !(even if I'm allergic to HTML)