Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42,592 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45,852 reviews
This is the fifth e-ink Kindle reader that I've bought. My wife and I were early adopters of Kindle, and when we buy a new Kindle, the old one goes to the next niece or nephew in line. I loved the original Paperwhite, with its small size, touch screen, front-lighting, and virtual keyboard. The all-new Paperwhite is a definite step up, and for me, it was worth the move, but others will have to decide for themselves. If you read a lot, and you don't already have one of the newer e-ink Kindles, it's definitely worth upgrading to the Paperwhite. If you have the original Paperwhite, the upgrade is well worth considering. Although I've only had the new Paperwhite a few hours, I'm already glad I upgraded. Here's a summary of my initial impressions of the new Paperwhite.

SIZE: It's the same size as the original Paperwhite - 6.7"x4.6"x0.36". The weight has been reduced slightly from 7.8 ounces to 7.3 ounces. The Paperwhite is very comfortable to hold in one hand, which is how I usually read. The really good news is that if you have a case for the original Paperwhite, it will also fit the new one (thank you, Amazon). If you buy a case, I highly recommend that the case include the magnetic AutoWake function. It's much easier to turn the Kindle on and off without fumbling for the small power switch.

LIGHTING: The front-lighting is noticeably improved over the original Paperwhite, which had slightly visible shadows coming from the bottom edge where the LED lights were located. (It didn't bother me, but some readers were annoyed by that.) I couldn't see any shadows in the new Paperwhite, where the lighting appears brighter and more uniform. With the Paperwhite's front lighting, you'll never need a clip-on light, even in total darkness.

TOUCH SCREEN: The text appears a bit crisper with more contrast, even though the 212 ppi resolution is the same as the original Paperwhite (but it's much better than the 169 ppi of the earlier Kindles). Unlike backlit tablets and phones, which wash out badly in sunlight, the Paperwhite is very readable in any lighting condition from total darkness to bright sunshine, simply by adjusting the lighting level. The touch screen's responsiveness has been noticeably improved. Swiping the page with a finger or touching the left or right sides of a page turns it immediately. With my old Paperwhite, I sometimes had to swipe or touch twice. The new Paperwhite is definitely more responsive with faster-turning pages.

BATTERY: According to Amazon, "A single charge can last up to eight weeks (based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at ten)." Certainly not all Kindle readers fit this profile. As much as I read, and because I download so many books that I leave the wireless turned on, I routinely recharge it about once every week or so just to bring the battery to full charge. In any case, the battery life is several times that of backlit tablets and phones. With the high-speed chargers that are available now, battery life shouldn't be an issue with the new Paperwhite.

OTHER COMMENTS: As a touch screen e-book reader, the Paperwhite has no physical I/O, aside from a power button and a recharging/data port. Unlike earlier e-ink Kindles, there's no provision for audio output, so you won't be reading audiobooks on the Paperwhite.

NEW OR IMPROVED FEATURES: The X-Ray feature from the original Paperwhite has been retained and improved to be more context sensitive. The new in-line footnotes that can be read without losing your place will make footnoted nonfiction books a more enjoyable experience, as will be the new navigation feature that lets you scroll forward and backward without leaving the page you're on. I haven't had a chance to play around with those very much, but what I've seen so far looks very promising. The new Paperwhite does not include FreeTime for kids or the built-in version of Goodreads (now owned by Amazon), but these features are expected to be added in a software update by the end of this year.

SPECIAL OFFERS: It's $20 more if you want to eliminate the special offers. You can do this at the time you buy the Paperwhite, or you can do it later online. Honestly, you get used to the special offers very quickly, and in my opinion, it's not worth the money to do away with them. Also, they don't interfere with your reading - you only see them when you turn on the Kindle, and after swiping the screen with your finger, they go away.

THE VERDICT: The new Paperwhite is the state-of-the-art e-ink ebook reader. With improved screen contrast for better readability, a more sensitive touch screen with faster page turns, and some new or improved features that enhance the reading experience, it was worth upgrading from the original Paperwhite.

Note: I also have a Kindle Fire HD 7", which I use for web browsing, emails, apps, and music, but for most reading, I prefer the Paperwhite, unless a book has color photos or illustrations.
----------------------------------------
Update (10-31-2013): After using the new Paperwhite for a month, the added feature that I love the most is the Page Flip. When you're on a page, swipe up from the bottom, and a slightly smaller pop-up of the page appears. The pop-up has page turn arrows to go back or go forward in the book (you can also just swipe the pop-up page). When you're ready to return to your original page, press the "X" in the upper right corner of the pop-up, and the pop-up page goes away. It's as close as you can get to holding your finger between pages in a printed book while you flip pages. This is really a helpful feature.
5150+ comments| 11,523 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have loved and used my Kindle Keyboard for years now but I missed not being able to read it in a room with low lighting or in the dark. I purchased a Kindle Fire and I also use an iPad 3 but for ease of reading on my eyes I prefer the Kindle Keyboard. I wanted to get a Kindle Paperwhite e-Reader but I held off until this new generation was released before I spent my money. I got this because I wanted to reduce my eyestrain from reading in the evening and I just love this new tablet. It offers the perfect balance of a lit screen with reduced eyestrain and high clarity and contrast of the text.

I have added a video of the Kindle Paperwhite compared to a Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle Fire. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and I will try to answer them.

I love that the text on the screen is crisp and clear. I use the Kindle because my declining vision caused me to stop reading books. Reading was my number one hobby my entire life and I just loved it. The Kindle has brought back that reading experience and now with the crisper text and lit screen I can enjoy my reading in every type of environment. I laid my Kindle Keyboard and the New Kindle Paperwhite side by side and the comparison of the quality of text and clarity is amazingly in favor of the new Paperwhite. The new lighting system and screen clarity is where this Paperwhite design really is outstanding. With better contrast, lighting and custom designed fonts, the text just pops out of the screen like you have not seen in an e-Reader before. With 221 PPI (Pixels Per Inch) this screen provides a 768 by 1024 pixel screen that just makes the old Kindle Keyboard look old fashioned. Technology certainly does move quickly on.

My favorite time to read is the last two hours of the evening before bedtime. Unfortunately that is the worst time to use a non-lit screen e-Reader. I went to using the Kindle Fire and the iPad 3. Unfortunately I noticed eyestrain that limited my reading time and I did not get the full enjoyment of spending my time reading. This new soft lit screen is unobtrusive and for me my eyes do not get tired of reading like they do on the Kindle Fire and on the iPad. After reading on the other backlit tablets I feel like I have that 1000 yard stare with dry and tired eyes. This lighting effect is softer and easier to read without the tired eyes and blurry vision. I am glad that I finally made the investment to get an updated Kindle Paperwhite.

There are 8 font sizes and I recently learned from one of the brilliant people who added a comment to this review that you can pinch and zoom on the Kindle Paperwhite to expand the font size or decrease it like you do on a powerful tablet, this is a great feature. There are 6 different font styles and they are Baskerville, Futura, Caecilia, Helvetica, Caecilia Condensed and Palatino. The fonts have been fine tuned to offer additional sharpness and clarity which is great for reducing eyestrain and fatigue. I love the new dictionary feature that creates a Vocabulary Builder which is a list of the words that you looked up and you can review the list and use flashcards to enhance your vocabulary and reading skills.

I thought that I would have trouble making the transition from the Kindle Keyboard to the New Kindle Paperwhite but it was a breeze. I think that using a touch screen and using finger swipes to turn pages and emulated keyboards like on the Kindle Fire and iPad made it a natural transition to this new Kindle. There is a minor learning curve of learning where to touch the screen but the changeover was fast and easy. The capacitive touch response of the screen is very nice. It makes the New Paperwhite respond quickly to finger touches, menu changes and page turns and the faster CPU helps there also.

What I like about the Kindle Paperwhite is that it is a dedicated e-Reader and it combines the best features of the Kindle e-ink and the iPad/Kindle Fire.

* Ultra lightweight at 7.3 ounces and easily held for hours with one hand. I love the size and weight as it is comfortable to hold for long periods of time and you don't find yourself laying down the Paperwhite like I would be doing with my iPad 3.
* Lit screen for reading in poorly lighted areas like the iPad and Kindle Fire but without the eyestrain. The lighting level is adjustable.
* High clarity of the text and contrast for easy reading
* Fast charging time in 4 hours
* Ability to be easily read in the sunlight with no screen glare.
* WIFI connectability
* Battery life of 28 hours (of reading time) depending on the WIFI usage and screen brightness used.
* Touch screen control
* Easy page turning and access to the onboard dictionary, access to Wikipedia and X-Ray.
* Easy to access menu and setup was a breeze
* 25% faster response for loading books and page turning thanks to a faster microprocessor.
* Small, thin and highly portable
* Able to carry 1,100 books
* My favorite feature is the adjustable text size and font style!
* Custom tuned fonts add clarity and crispness to the quality of the displayed text
* Since I review a lot of books I love to highlight sections and text as well as take notes on the screen.
* Translation of foreign language that is used in the book
* Web surfing is possible but still slower than a good tablet. Who cares, this is my portable ebook reader with 1,100 books in it. I have other devices to browse the web and read my email.
* I like the rubberized feel of the back and it is similar to my Kindle Fire. It makes the Kindle Paperwhite easy to grip and hold with one hand and just have it lay in the palm of my hand without a case.

This tablet gives me the best reading conditions in the daytime and also in the night. It has a lot of great features but I wanted to post a review that provides a strong comparison between the new Kindle Paperwhite, the Kindle Keyboard and the Kindle Fire when used as purely a reading device.

-------------------------------------Kindle Paperwhite---------Kindle Keyboard----------Kindle Fire original
Screen size: -------------------- 6 inch------------------------6 inch E Ink Pearl----------7 inch color LCD
Resolution: ---------------------768x1024-------------------600x800---------------------600x1024
Weight: --------------------------7.3 ounces------------------8.7 ounces-------------------14.6 ounces
Overall Size: --------------------6.7"x4.6"x0.36"-----------7.5"x4.8"x0.34"-------------7.5"x4.7"x0.45"
Battery life in hours of reading: 28 hours----------------28 hours----------------------8 hours
Charging Time: -----------------4 hours----------------------4 hours------------------------4 hours
Eyestrain: ---none under all reading conditions---yes in poor light----------yes due to backlighting
Memory: -------------------------2 GIG -------------------------4 GIG ---------------------------8 GIG
Number of books: -------------1,100--------------------------3,500----------------------------6,000
Included charger: --------------No---------------------------Yes--------------------------------Yes
WIFI Connectability: ----------Fast and easy--------------Fast and easy-------------------Fast and easy
Speakers: ------------------------No----------------------------Yes--------------------------------Yes

Other considerations:
* No distraction from email
* No distractions from text messages
* No distractions from phone calls.

Pros:
* You can use a capacitive stylus on the screen to help keep the screen clean.
* Great battery life and fast charging.
* Perfect form factor for size and weight for a hand held portable e-reader.
* I don't need to use the stupid book light that never worked well anyway!
* Faster page tuning which for me really makes a difference.
* Connection to the WIFI was fast and easy.
* Downloading my book library was fast and easy.
* Even though the screen has slight texture to it is does not show fingerprints as bad as a glossy screen like a Kindle Fire or an iPad

Cons:
* It still costs extra money for an AC wall adapter. It comes with a USB to Micro USB cable that you can use for charging and connecting to any AC USB wall adapter or computer USB port. I don't need another USB power adapter but not getting one just makes Amazon look cheap in not supplying one with the product.
* They charge extra money to remove push ads to your Kindle Paperwhite
* No speakers and no ability to have the book read aloud to you using text to speech.
* Dropping the memory to 2 GIG with only 1.25 GIG available. I know 1100 book storage is a lot but memory is getting cheaper and not more expensive. I already own 703 Kindle books and I continually purchase more. I would just have preferred more memory.

Summary:
Overall considering all the issues this is a great e-Reader. It is the best available at this time. I do feel that Amazon always gives some things and takes away others. Things like memory/book storage capacity, text to speech, speakers and AC wall chargers disappear from new products and sometimes return in others. I also don't care for the ads still being pushed in our faces. This is still a solid 5 star product and you can't go wrong with buying one. It is just that sometimes the things you lose seem to mean more to users than to Amazon. I don't mind them saving some money but raise the price $10 and put in all the features that users will need like a charger. This product with a few other features left in could have be a 10 star item with no regrets!
5150+ comments| 9,985 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2013
I had a kindle keyboard. I still have. I'm not sure I'm ready to part with it. I'm rather attached. The kindle is *the* e-reader. It's fantastic. I had my kindle keyboard for a couple years and I couldn't imagine reading on anything else. There were times I left my kindle at work and had to read on my ipad. I hated it. However I found the keyboard interface to be cumbersome and just "old". I wanted something new. So onto the paperwhite.

Mine was a gift. I have the wifi only version. Why would you need the 3G? Just download several books at once and you are good to go. I will say that the paperwhite light is fantastic. Have you watched the videos on the paperwhite. It's not a "traditional" backlight. It does not shine the light towards your eyes, but rather down at the screen. GENIUS!!!! I sit at a computer all day. I do not want more light shining at my eyes. Which is why I loved my kindle keyboard for so long. I haven't had the paperwhite very long, but I keep it at about a medium brightness so far. I love that I can now read in bed with no other light. The paperwhite is light weight. It's rather small, but about the same width as the kindle keyboard. I put both kindles on the same page of a book and more lines were rendered on the paperwhite than the keyboard. But the font isn't smaller. Somehow more words are fit on the page. I like the touchscreen interface. I really found the keyboard keys to be tedious. I kind of sort of miss the page flip buttons though. I loved those. Since they were on both sides of the kindle, they were easily accessible no matter what I was doing at the time or how I was laying. IMO the jury is still out on whether or not I can live without those buttons. So far I'm doing ok, but I will confess to missing them greatly. I also preferred the sliding power button on the kindle keyboard rather than the push one on the paperwhite.

But overall the paperwhite is fanastic. It's a huge upgrade and I'm thrilled with it!!! If you still have the kindle keyboard don't think twice about upgrading. You will love the paperwhite.

*UPDATE

I really really miss the page keys. I find myself turning pages that I don't mean to. And I'd *really* want to be able to turn the page with my left hand when necessary without reaching across the kindle to tap the right side of the screen.

The battery doesn't last 8 week. What the heck? No way.

I also confirmed that I really like the sliding power switch. I mentioned that in the initial review but after using it for a few weeks I realize how much I miss the sliding power switch. I could turn my old kindle off with one hand. I haven't quite mastered that with this kindle since I have to push the button. Maybe once the case (which was really backordered) arrives that will help, but I can't grip the kindle well enough with one hand to push the button as well with that same hand.

I still love this kindle. Reading in poor lighting is so much better, but I wish some things had carried over.
review image
11 comment| 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 28, 2014
I've used many Kindle's over the years, starting with the original one which I still have and still works to this day. The Kindle PaperWhite addressed many of the issues I had with previous Kindle models and generations and this new 2nd generation PaperWhite brings some small but noticeable improvements over the 1st generation.

I'll go over some of the basics and elaborate on them as needed, starting with the screen:

*** SCREEN ***

The Kindle PaperWhite comes with a nice 212 ppi screen which is noticeably crisper and bolder than the standard, entry level Kindles, yet still slightly lower than the Kindle Voyage which boasts an impressive 300 ppi resolution. While it's nearly impossible for the human eye to see individual pixels at 300 ppi, 212 ppi isn't that far behind. UPDATE: The new screen boasts an impressive 25% increase in contrast (the manufacturer, E-Ink, claims it's actually a 50% increase) and a 22% better reflection prevention. This new display is called "E-Ink Carta" and replaces the 1st generation PaperWhite's "E-Ink Pearl" display. Faster page turns are also achieved by the new display due to the way the screen handles changing the "e-ink" between pages. Comparing my 1st gen and 2nd gen side-by-side, I didn't notice a huge improvement in contrast or "ink" saturation, however, when comparing my 1st gen to my brother's 2nd gen, the difference was very noticeable. So, either I got stuck with a dud, or I just need to tweak some settings on mine.

The screen is a touchscreen and is very responsive and accurate; something that is sometimes a problem with touchscreen eReaders that are either unresponsive or inaccurate, forcing the user to press harder or very precisely touch areas of the screen to get a response.

*** BACKLIGHT ***

One of the biggest complaints of the 1st generation PaperWhite was the backlight, mainly due to the noticeable shadows seen at the bottom of the screen, especially when used in dark rooms or at night. Although I personally felt the shadows were not that big of a deal and most of time I never even noticed them, because so many people complained, Amazon went ahead and fixed it so this is probably the most noticeable upgrade from the previous generation.

The backlight can be adjusted, as needed, which is nice as having it at a high-brightness level at night is actually hard on the eyes and for some people, makes it difficult to use for long periods of time. The opposite is true in bright light situations where the backlight being turned up higher actually helps make it easier to read.

*** BATTERY LIFE ***

Amazon claims the Kindle PaperWhite can go weeks (up to 8 weeks mentioned on some websites out there) but in real use case scenarios, the battery life is nowhere near that level. While the PaperWhite does have decent battery life, it is more likely to be in the one to two week range, not four weeks and certainly not eight weeks, especially if you're using WiFi at all to download new books, or to get your daily reads delivered such as newspapers and blogs.

The PaperWhite charges very quickly so you shouldn't have any worries about topping off the battery as needed. The battery life is perfectly acceptable and adequate and you should have no problems even on week or two long vacation, for example, especially when compared to alternatives like a tablet, Chromebook, smartphone, etc.

*** SIZE AND WEIGHT ***

The new PaperWhite is the same size as the last generation which is nice because it allows you to reuse your current case. While I'm sure this has irritated the case manufacturers, it certainly is a nice thing for us! Even better, although the PaperWhite retains its size, it does take a slight trim in the weight, coming in at 7.3 ounces, compared to last generation's 7.8 ounces... again, not really noticeable, but a small improvement nonetheless.

Regarding cases, I would strongly recommend getting one of the magnetic cases because they automatically turn the PaperWhite on and off simply by opening or closing the cover. It's a simple AutoWake feature but it does come in handy as you don't have to mess around trying to find the tiny on/off switch every time you put your PaperWhite away or take a break from reading. I'm not sure which case I have but I think it's the Amazon brand case and it works really well. I do know I bought them at the same time as they had a bundle sale at the local electronics store I purchased them from.

*** PROCESSOR AND ON-BOARD STORAGE ***

This new generation PaperWhite is noticeably peppier and much more responsive than the first generation, mainly due to the new "E-Ink Carta" screen which has replaced the older "E-Ink Pearl" display. While the first generation wasn't slow by any means, it is nicer to have the faster response time as it helps avoid tapping the screen twice to turn the page, only to find out you've skipped a page and have to go back!

On board storage is 4GB (increased from 2GB just recently) which will handle a library of thousands of books, not to mention you have free, unlimited cloud-based storage for your content. If you got a PaperWhite with 2GB of onboard storage, it still is one of the new versions but it was manufactured before Amazon made the switch to 4GB of storage. Unless you have over 1,000 books, you won't even notice the difference as the 2GB is capable of holding about 1,100 books I believe.

*** X-RAY FEATURE, HIGHLIGHTING, AND DICTIONARY ***

Amazon has kept the X-Ray feature so those of you who have the previous generation and are considering upgrading, rest assured, the X-Ray feature is still here and has been upgraded to allow more functionality. More and more books are being preloaded with X-Ray data by Amazon and even it it's not there, you can always use the Wikipedia option to do a search.

Those new to the X-Ray technology, it is a capability on the PaperWhite that allows you to click on a character name, for example, and find all references to the character in the book. This is very helpful for novels when a character name comes up that you've seen before but forgot the details about. It's also helpful for non-fiction books when you need to find all references to a particular item or topic.

The "highlight" feature allows you to highlight (in black-and-white of course) a particular passage in a book and save it so you can go back to it at a later time. You also have the option of turning on an option that shows you other popular highlights from other readers of the book. This is a VERY useful feature, especially for non-fiction books as 99% of the time, the highlights other users have made, point out very important sentences and paragraphs in the book. Note that this feature does not show EVERY reader's highlights, it only shows the most popular ones and even tells you how many readers have highlighted a particular section. Again, this can be turned on or off if you find it distracting.

The dictionary feature works by allowing you to click on a word you don't know or need clarification on which brings it up in the dictionary.

*** OTHER MENTIONABLES AND REVIEW UPDATES ***

Something to keep in mind is the PaperWhite does not come with audio output so unlike the Kindle Fire tablets, listening to audiobooks is not an option on the PaperWhite. If you need audio features, you may want to look at the Kindle Fire lineup as audio capabilities are not available on the PaperWhite, standard Kindle, or the Kindle Voyage.

As has been the case for a while now, the Kindles come in either a "with special offers" or "without special offers" version. Personally, I always buy the "with special offers" version because the advertisements, mostly for books, do not bother me as they're really only seen on the screensaver and are not seen when reading the book. Sometimes they actually recommend books that may interest you, but more importantly, I really don't think it's worth spending the extra $20 just to get rid of them. If you think they'll bother you, get the "without special offers" version, or you can upgrade to that version at a later date after purchasing the PaperWhite.

*** CONCLUSION ***

This is still my favorite Kindle as it packs the most bang for the buck and is very affordable, especially when Amazon throws it on sale. While I don't think it's worth upgrading from the 1st generation, if you don't have a PaperWhite at all, I'd definitely recommend going with this version. Those with the first generation: I'd really recommend holding off for the moment until more substantial upgrades are made to the PaperWhite, but if you want to upgrade anyway, you certainly won't be disappointed.

*** If this review was at all helpful to you, please take a second to let me know. You can also post a comment or ask questions in the comments section below. I always try my hardest to get you the most information possible to hopefully help you make a confident decision on whether or not to buy a product. Thank you for taking the time to read my review! ***
1313 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2013
A must have for avid readers. The various Kindle products are all for different types of consumers, and I find that this specific product is most suitable for the avid reader. I am a very heavy reader and have had a lot of eye issues due to straining from the light on my iPad when I attempt to read through that (also, I despise the Kindle "app" for third party devices), so the Paperwhite was a MUST HAVE for me. While, my mother is the occasional reader and is heavy on the social networking and apps (but has also had issues with the iPad straining her eyes, especially at night), the Kindle Fire is more for her. I absolutely love all of the functions of the Paperwhite, it does not hurt my eyes and the sleep mode photos are very charming. The battery life is fantastic and while I'm a little disappointed it does not come with a wall adapter at the price that it is at, the wall adapter is fairly inexpensive and I did not feel that I was going out of my way to purchase it separately. That being said, I don't think Amazon would be going out of their way to simply include it by default. Overall, I love this product and I believe that every avid reader should own a Kindle Paperwhite.
review image review image
on June 7, 2014
I miss being able to use the buttons on the side of the Kindle to turn pages. It was much easier to read with my Kindle in one hand and a cup of tea in the other that way. This Kindle doesn't stay charged nearly as long as my Kindle Keyboard does. I don't know where the claim that it stays charged for 8 weeks comes from. I read for maybe a couple hours a day at most and the Paperwhite stays charged about a week. The smaller size is nice. It fits into my purse more easily than the Kindle Keyboard and I like the light, which is the main reason I am keeping it. I was never able to find a book light that I was happy with for my Kindle Keyboard and it was easy to forget to take the light with me if I was travelling. I also find that the touch aspect of this Kindle is somewhat inconsistent. The biggest annoyance is that sometimes I am trying to turn a page and instead the Kindle thinks I am trying to look up the definition of a word. Then I end up with ridiculous words saved into my vocabulary builder (things like "that" and "can.") I'm keeping it, but I'm no totally wowed. Mainly, I wish they would incorporate the buttons to turn the pages. I really miss that feature.
on February 25, 2015
Quick Review:

Pros:
• E-ink screen
• Fantastic battery life
• Lots of storage for books
• Standard Micro USB charging
• Large enough size to comfortable read on
• VERY adjustable and great backlight

Cons:
• A bit too wide to use in only your left hand
• Screen size may be too small for you if you’re used to a tablet (iPad,Android, whatever)
• No Epub support
• Feels somewhat brittle

Bottom Line: Get this e-reader if you want to read text. Get this if you want the convenience of reading like a book, but being able to carry more books, read in the dark, and don’t mind a digital format, and dislike eyestrain. Get this over the normal Kindle for the backlight.

Long Version:

The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite. Where do I begin? As you hopefully know, the Paperwhite is an e-reader. That’s what it is, that’s what it does and that’s what it was made for. This device is NOT a “tablet” in the way we usually mean. It doesn’t have a color screen, it won’t run angry birds(Everyone still plays that, right?), and it won’t play you videos.

But that’s ok!

Since a very young age, I’ve been an avid reader. Everything from the Hardy Boys to hundreds of Star Wars novels are in my library and I love reading them all. I am a 911 ambulance EMT in a busy city in the southwest. While the days are usually decently busy, sometimes they aren’t and usually during a regular day I might have an hour of downtime here and there and I would always have a book with me. Maybe a textbook for my classes, sometimes just a good ol’ spy novel, but always there. If you’ve been into a book you know the letdown feeling you get when you finish a good one; especially if you don’t have another one to read right afterwards. I can tell you that some days at work are really slow and I’ve been able to get through a book that I didn’t anticipate doing and I’m left with nothing to read. I would usually turn to my phone or something. Not the same. So I began experimenting with eBooks. First on my phone, then on my computer, then on an original Nook Color, then…I hated them. I hated staring at a screen, especially at night, I hated the battery drain it took to read for a couple hours, and I often found them cumbersome to use.
Finally, this last month, I took the plunge and dove into the kindle world. Not the Fire HD word, but the world of e-ink. I have to say I’m thrilled. First off, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about still reading off a screen. I’m not a paper snob, but that’s all I’ve ever used besides an LCD. The reading experience on the Paperwhite is great. First, the screen doesn’t feel like an LCD screen. It isn’t the super smooth glass screen of a tablet. It has a rougher feel to it which, in my opinion, makes it feel more like a page. This has a drawback of being a little less responsive than most of us are used to on a phone or tablet. But think about it, all you are normally doing with it is touching to flip the page. When holding this one handed with my left hand, I DID find it difficult to turn the page without having to readjust my hand or use my right hand to touch the screen. I could very easily turn the page back though. This issue was solved by holding the Paperwhite in my right hand. From there, my thumb could easily tap the screen to go to the next page. If you hold the Paperwhite by the top, you have to make sure to tap the screen far enough down the sides to do the page turn. If you tap too high on the screen, it opens the settings which is annoying when you really want to turn the page when the climax is close. Holding it by the bottom, I have found, doesn't give you enough room to tap the sides and turn the page.

The touchscreen is usually just used by taps, which you have to mean to hit. Light taps I have found to be unreliable, so you have to mean what you do. I’m not saying you have to pound on it, but you have to be a little forceful. This goes with everything from the on-screen keyboard to the page turns. The swipe to unlock can be a bit slow taking sometimes of upward to 1.0 seconds to register and open. The screen flashes and then resumes you wherever you were when it went to sleep.

The backlight is great! Most screen lights shine the light into your face, but this one reflects it back onto the page and then back to you. Plus, you can get the backlight REALLY low. Almost non-existent. This is awesome for reading at night. It seems like the page is lit up without looking at garish. I can read on this for hours without eyestrain and I feel like reading on my Paperwhite is like reading a page in a book.
Also true to their word, the Paperwhite performs just like a paper page in sunlight. I can safely use it in direct sunlight with no glare at all and the device doesn't heat up like a phone or tablet would in the sun.

The screen changes are a bit slow and they change in a transition format. What I mean is that they don’t just pop in. Sometimes it reminds me of turning a page. I think this is a product of how the E-ink screen works. Either way, it doesn’t bother me.
Technical stuff. Yes, this thing has an “experimental” browser, but it isn’t great. I mean, this screen isn’t an LCD and black and white. Again though, this ISN’T a normal tablet. I did not buy it with the expectation of doing web browsing or using apps. The Wi-Fi works great and connects right away. I use it to download books and then turn it off again to conserve battery.

Speaking of battery, it’s great. I went about 3 weeks without charging it and experienced no drops at all. This was with the backlight on a low setting the entire time. I ended up charging it last night because I just wanted to see how fast it would charge. I charged it from about 70% up to 100% in about 30min.

Lastly, the formats. This device supports PDF, MOBI, and a host of other formats that you can find in the description. But I do want to point out that it does NOT support EPUB format. This can be overcome through using Calibre to convert the book, but this gets a bit sticky if you have an eBook that is protected using DRM. If you don’t have the license on the kindle, you won’t be able to use it on there. So keep this in mind if you’re coming in with a library of eBooks already. Do some testing and see if you can convert them to a kindle usable format. When viewing a PDF, you will find that if it is a scanned image of a page, this images will be of poor quality on the kindle. A PDF that is using text will display just fine, but images will be hard to read in my experience. Lastly, one of the most annoying things on the kindle is the library display. It just gives you a list of all eBooks on your device. You can select viewing only the ones downloaded on your device, viewing the ones in your amazon library, or both. So, finding books on the device can be cumbersome. The best way around this that I have found is simply to search for the title of the book. This means that you have to know the title, which sometimes you don’t, especially if you put an entire series on the device at once.
You can also access the kindle store and buy through your amazon account directly from there. I have found both purchases on the kindle and those on the site and sent to my kindle to be quick, speedy, and flawless. I have had zero problems downloading books to my Paperwhite.
Over all, this is a great purchase for me and I love it. It can hold many, many books and provides a pleasant reading experience comparable to that of a book just without the torn pages and bigger space needed to carry more than one book. I can read in the dark without an extra light and I can do so without eyestrain or bothering my partner in the ambulance with a light turned on. It also doesn’t kill my night vision with a bright light shining in my face. Which, as you may imagine, can be really annoying in EMS at night when a sudden call interrupts my reading session. I enjoy this device far more than I did my nook color and far more than reading off of a LCD screen. It may be smaller than an iPad or tablet in terms of how much it can display, but with easy page turns it doesn't really matter.
on April 12, 2014
I love my original Kindle. I bought this one anticipating that it would be an overall improvement in my reading experience. My hope was that I'd be able to read it in a dark room while my significant other slept without having to turn on a light. Basically, I expected the backlight to work... you know... the #1 most advertised feature it has.

The lighting is incredibly uneven. I have added a photo to the gallery for you to view. The lower left corner is dark. I can't read text in that area while in a dark room unless I turn the screen up to the point where it is entirely too bright in the other areas.

When I noticed it, I thought, "Fine, must be defective. I'll just go to Amazon and get a replacement." No dice. Amazon's replacement system will only allow me a refund or a store credit to be used towards another item. So I have to send in the Kindle, wait for a refund, and then purchase another one? All because Amazon screwed up? I fail to see how that makes any sense.

When filling out the return/refund form, I select "Defective/Does not work properly." I am then notified that I can't get a replacement because "We only offer replacements if the return is as a result of our error (e.g., item arrived damaged or was lost)." So, I can only get a replacement if the item arrived damaged (which it did), but still can't get a replacement. Asinine.

I will update my review when Amazon remedies this problem.
review image
1111 comments| 509 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2016
I bought this kindle in 2014 and was quite happy with it , although page turning frequently was difficult- kindle was not responding to touch at first, and then went multiple pages ahead, and it was quite difficult to return back. Translation was often not working, and I had to restart the kindle. Eventually after less than two years of light use it stopped charging. All my attempts to get help from customer care we're not successful. After few suggestions such as to use a different chargers or to restart the kindle I was eventually told that electronics sometimes works and sometimes does not, and I was reminded that I could download kindle books on Apple devices.
This is very sad because I like the idea of kindle even though a have multiple Apple devices and do have kindle application on them.
However I don' t want to support a poor quality product and inferior customer care by buying another kindle.
on December 17, 2013
I love my Paperwhite -- Great display, a joy to read, compact size, light weight, great battery life. I do, however have one issue that buyers should be aware of. If the Paperwhite finds a Wi-Fi connection, it will insist on using it. The Paperwhite does not have the option of turning off Wi-Fi and using a 3G connection. This can be a problem if you are somewhere that you really don't want to use Wi-Fi. Personally, I've had this problem in hotel rooms with "Pay-for-Use" Wi-Fi. It would seem so simple to just turn off Wi-Fi and use 3G; but it can't be done.

Yes, I would buy this Kindle again; but I am disappointed that I cannot select the use of Wi-Fi or 3G. I paid a lot more for a 3G Whitepaper. It would be nice to be able to use it when I want to use it. Users considering the purchase of a 3G Paperwhite should be aware of this restriction.
77 comments| 386 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse