Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2012 6:59:53 AM PDT
K. Wasson says:
I think it is ridiculous that the Kindle price is double the price of the paperback!

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 6:09:22 AM PDT
Bonnie says:
The price of this ebook is outrageous! I know this is irrational, but I am starting to resent Nora Roberts because of this. She made something like 23 million last year. Greedy much?! I am so pissed off. Good god!

Oh, and K. Wasson, there is no paperback yet. It's a new book, so hardcover. I don't know why they list it that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 11:51:37 AM PDT
magick says:
Authors do not set the prices. The publishers do.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 1:51:37 PM PDT
Bonnie says:
I know that. Didn't I say "I know this is irrational"?

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 9:49:51 PM PDT
cyberbook says:
Nora should still do something about it! She made plenty of $ from her fans and this shows that she did not care that her fans being gouged!

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 10:06:55 AM PDT
Missy says:
i will be headed down to walmart tomorrow and buying the hardcover. Not spending 15 dollars on a digital book that I have no rights to. I agree, this price is NUTS. How do they justify this price?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 8:53:48 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
They justify the price by pricing it by what the market will bear. People are buying it at 14.99 (it's a current top 10 Kindle book at he time of this post), thus why not charge it?

As any aside, pubs just chose not to discount their books and take a loss on it the way amazon and other retailers do.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:19:30 AM PDT
Bonnie says:
"Not spending 15 dollars on a digitalbook that I have no rights to."

Annnnd.... that's exactly what the publishers want. So, it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 7:51:18 AM PDT
Missy says:
well with my brothers discount card at walmart i got the book for 13 bux. so glad it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 6:07:54 PM PDT
Bonnie says:
"well with my brothers discount card at walmart i got the book for 13 bux. so glad it worked.
You clearly don't get it. Why are you in a kindle book discussion forum anyway? It's really rather irritating. It has nothing to do with print books and everything to do with ebooks and their pricing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 7:37:06 PM PDT
Missy says:
What are you the forum police? Do I look like i care if you are irritated? The topic was about a specific book being outrageously priced. Just because you are ok with spending that much on a ebook doesn't mean everyone has to fall in line with your opinion.

Not that I have to justify myself to you but I am in a kindle book forum because I own several ereaders and buy ebooks. I commented in this thread because i wanted to BUY this book in ebook form but was shocked and flabbergasted by the price.

Personally I really wish I could have gotten this as an ebook considering my over crowded bookshelves but like the OP said, 14.99 is too high a price for an ebook.

And on your previous comment you stated publishers don't want to sell e-books? because you are right, clearly i am not getting how you came to that conclusion. Its my opinion that publishers WANT ppl to buy ebooks more than print ones because its CHEAPER, they can control your sharing of them and they make MORE profit on them. So please, explain why you believe that publishers are trying to steer buyers away from e-books and back to print ones?

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 8:23:27 PM PDT
Grammie says:
Having put this book on hold at the public library, it was ready for me on the day of release. I would have paid the old 9.99 to have the ease of reading it on the kindle, but I'll just muddle through the hardback for free. To sidetrack, I also had put Frozen Heat on hold but when I saw that the ebook was reduced to 9.45, I purchased it for my kindle. If the publisher of Delusion in Death had dropped its price, I would have made the purchase. I also have to comment that I resent having to pay the sales tax for ebooks, which automatically raises the advertised price. I don't care what pockets the money is going into, it's coming out of mine.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 11:15:30 PM PDT
Missy says:
Great post Grammie! I completely agree. I would also have paid the 9.99 but a 50% price increase is insane! I got a physical hard cover for less than a non physical e-book and that to me is just nuts. I know there are people that would pay this price for an ebook but I won't be among them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 7:54:15 AM PDT
Grammie says:
I also obviously agree with Missy for comparing the ebook prices with hardback prices. This discussion on the kindle forum is about pricing after all, and you have to look at paper copies to make comparisons. That does not boot you out of a kindle forum. It validates your point. And it is the smart shopper who compares . . . and sometimes we have to Just Say No to an ebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:40:15 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
"This discussion on the kindle forum is about pricing after all, and you have to look at paper copies to make comparisons. "

I don't think that one HAS to look at paper copies to make comparisons. There are many people, like myself, who no longer read physical books, and thus the physical book price has no bearing in our consideration of whether or not to buy the ebook.

People should pay what they are comfortable with. THe book is still selling very well via Kindle (in the top 10), on iBooks (top 10) and even better on BN (in the top 5). People are paying the price.* If they price isn't hitting your sweetspot, then wait until the paperback is officially released--Penguin will drop the ebook price to 7.99.

Because of all of this, I just don't see the need to complain about prices--particularly a luxury item such as ebooks. (Clearly a first world problem).

*(As an aside, I've noticed that with Penguin books, once they become NYT best sellers, they usually drop to 12.99 for while).

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 11:50:50 AM PDT
Missy says:
So because YOU don't see any need to complain everyone should just shut up? Clearly not everyone agrees with you. Clearly some of us are not happy with the 50% mark up.

And even if you DON'T compare the price to a physical book its still a 50% Mark up from the last ebook released in the series. And that to me is an EVEN BIGGER reason to complain about the price.

Its arrogant and insulting to come to a public forum and basically tell people that they are not allowed to complain about an outrageous price hike just because YOU don't feel like its a reason to complain. If you don't have a problem with the price then why are you in a thread that is complaining about it in the first place?

Just because the book is selling well doesn't mean buyers don't have a right to discuss their displeasure with the price of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:01:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 12:08:23 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
"And even if you DON'T compare the price to a physical book its still a 50% Mark up from the last ebook released in the series."

The last ebook released in the series was Celebrity in Death, an upon its release the ebook was priced at 14.99. It only went down to 7.99 upon the release of the mass market paperback. That is a FACT. Delusion in Death is following the exact same pricing trajectory as Celebrity in Death. (New York to Dallas was also 14.99 when it was first released and dropped to 7.99 upon the release of the mass market paperback). Given that the mass market paper back of Delusion in Death will not be released until April 2, 2013, that's why the ebook copy is not 7.99.

And, no, I don't think that everyone should just shut up--if I thought it, I would have said it (or typed it, rather). Nor did I say that no one was allowed to complain. I said that I didn't see the point because it's a luxury item. No where in that statement did I tell people to shut up or that they aren't allowed to complain. Please do not put words into my mouth.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:17:01 PM PDT
Missy says:
thats weird cause i could have sworn i got the last e-book for 9.99. I will have to look it back up on my account. I know I didn't pay 14.99 for it. and I DID get it not more than a few weeks from the release date.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 1:35:10 PM PDT
Grammie says:
The highest I have paid for an "in death" book is 12.99. To show how strange the pricing is, I bought Fantasy In Death in 2010 for $6.39. Now that it is in paperback, it is $7.99. Does anyone else think there is something wrong with this picture?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 1:49:01 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
You probably purchased that book before Penguin joined the Agency Model. Now Penguin prices their books. Instead of giving discounts (and possibly taking a loss), the Agency Publishers just charge half of the list price. Amazon (after paying half of the list price for physical books) then discounts it. So, yea, Amazon discounts and is willing to take a loss--publishers are not.

There have been price drops for HarperCollins ebooks already due tot he settlement, with Hachette and Simon & Schuster price drops soon to follow.

Penguin and Macmillan are fighting and want their day in court.

Random House can continue to use the Agency Model bc they aren't a party to any lawsuits because they joined the agency model a full year after it began, and thus cannot be said to have colluded. (Note it's the collusion that is at issue here, not the Agency Model which is a legal price mechanism).

So, in theory, I don't think there's anything wrong with ebooks being priced the same as the mass market paperback. Actually, it's more than theory because I've bought quite a few 7.99 ebooks that matched the price of their mass market counterparts. Different parties still need to be paid (author, editor, marketing/advertising, distributor. Instead of printing & storage costs there's online storage and bandwidth to consider). I can see why people think it's counter intuitive, though.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 8:41:43 AM PDT
I won't pay it. I'll borrow the book from a friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 11:17:59 PM PST
Frank Shaw says:
$18 for an ebook...bloody outrageous.
And books are a "luxury" item ? That's just sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 11:17:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 27, 2013 11:19:08 PM PST]

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 4:26:42 AM PDT
Today is April 2, 2013, the paperback is now out for $7.99, and they are still charging $14.99 for the Kindle download. Something needs to be done. I just won't pay it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 2:30:13 PM PDT
Kansas says:
Even worse is when the paperback is released and the ebook is more expensive than the paperback. example: Delusions in Death paperback $7.01, ebook $7.99. This is not just Roberts, but is the case of a lot of authors. It has influenced my purchases. I feel insulted by this policy by publishers. No paper, no ink, no rights, no resale, very little lending and more money. DLH
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about