Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Sixth Man forum

Kindle Pricing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2011, 2:30:03 PM PDT
Samantha says:
Please stop complaining about the Kindle pricing in your posts for review. I'm still not sure if I should get The Sixth Man because of having to go through so much complaining about pricing. If you can afford the Kindle, you can afford the download. You did not have to get in your car, waste gas, time, or carry around a 4 pound book. Be upset about the publishers that will not allow their books to be downloaded to Kindle. I had to go and buy 2 hardcovers from my favorite authors because of this and I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE BOOKS IN THE HOUSE.

Posted on Apr 30, 2011, 7:43:04 PM PDT
J. Paliwoda says:
I agree Samantha. The Kindle whiners do not understand basic economics/business principles, and as a result it's hard to assess the literary merits of a book.

Posted on May 3, 2011, 8:42:12 AM PDT
Excellent points. I'm intelligent enough to decide for myself how much I can spend. I want to know from the reviews whether it's worth my time to spend ANY money on the book at all!

Posted on May 3, 2011, 9:01:43 AM PDT
I have almost 800 books on my kindle, and I have only paid for about 30 of them. I don't complain about the prices, since they are set by the publishers. Most of the books are well below the regular price, and I have them all in one small, easy, compact device. Get over it.

Posted on May 4, 2011, 6:59:57 AM PDT
i dont know, i think we are being taken advantage of...books at 9.99 are ok, but to jump to 14.99. come on...this is bull

Posted on May 4, 2011, 8:29:09 AM PDT
As an avid reader, an author and a recent publisher I understand this business from multiple perspectives. There is a certain amount of income that needs to be made to pay the author to write, the publisher to edit and the book printer to print. However, I have noticed a recent trend by publishers to set the Kindle price slightly higher than the printed Hardbound price. This is ridiculous. I know exactly what effort is necessary to write, edit, and convert to eBook and there is no excuse for setting the Kindle price the same or higher than the printed price, even with rising prices due to a faltering economy. Kindle prices should be set a 1/2 the cost of the Hardcover book regardless. I have no problem paying for books and have also enjoyed free book promotions. I think the issue is less about the actual cost and more about common sense and economics. The digital age is changing the publishing world (not arguing for better or worse) and the publishers need to use common sense when pricing these items. I myself recently self-published due to a contract dispute with the publisher about the outrageous price they wanted to charge for the digital version of the book and the amount on profit for the print version. I want to make a profit but I prefer to not be greedy about the amount I am charging for my intellectual property in this economy. Hopefully we can all use our conscience as our guide.

Posted on May 16, 2011, 11:03:52 PM PDT
I own a kindle and about 30 titles so far (I've had it for 4 months) and I do not understand why there is complaining from either the users or the non-users. If the price is too high for the users, then don't buy it. It's simple supply and demand and if you pay it, they will charge it. Duh! To the non-users who are complaining about the negative reviews due to Kindle price, why are you reading them? You should be able to tell what they are within a few sentences. (3 seconds? 4?) Did it really waste that much of your time? And why shouldn't they complain on the review site? Isn't that the quickest way to get the message to the publisher/author? I assure you, they check the reviews before anything else. I get so sick of people who feel that they have to vent/post/tweet every time they get upset about something and then post it out there for the whole world to ...
Oh.
Never mind.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011, 11:08:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 16, 2011, 11:09:27 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 3, 2012, 5:52:52 AM PST
SLOreader says:
Publishers have a legitimate interest in protecting booksellers against the insurgency that eBooks represent. I agree with allovercoffee's fine comment, but to ask the commercial world to be guided by some collective conscience...charming but naive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012, 1:13:28 PM PDT
Don 3535 says:
Sorry I disagree. When Amazon shows the book in various forms as being from 2.98(I'm not counting good used) to 4.98 for new paperback or even hardcover and while going to Sam's and seeing the paperback for 6.36 all the while I see 8.99 for the kindle....... You do have to think , or do you consider the diff as meaningless. Great if you are only reading 1 or 2 books a month, but I don't think kindle readers are only reading that little.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Sixth Man forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
The Sixth Man
The Sixth Man by David Baldacci (Hardcover - April 19, 2011)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,214)