Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Kindle Publishing Bible: How To Sell More Kindle Ebooks on Amazon (Step-by-Step Instructions On Self-Publishing And Marketing Your Books) (Kindle Bible Book 1)
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on January 31, 2013
There is some good information here, BUT, it is poorly arranged and not well written. He jumps from topic to topic in no particular order. It appears to be a stream of consciousness piece -- he seems to have written about whatever struck his fancy on a particular day. He talks about how he posts books when they are basically in the rough draft stage and then polishes them. He needs to take this one back and do some more polishing. He should describe a step-by-step process that takes someone from conception to publication and promotion. He doesn't do that.

All that being said, the book does have a kernel of good information.
on September 25, 2013
I has so much to do over the past couple of weeks, I didn't get a chance to read the book until tonight. I have to say that with every page my respect for the author grew. Tom clearly knows his material. I think that for anyone looking to get started writing books for Amazon, The Kindle Publishing Bible is a valuable resource. What really impressed me was that the author "sprinted to the finish" instead of just offering up fluff. I loved the useful tips and links. I found myself with my Macbook open and taking notes. I will be going back to this book several times in the coming weeks, I'm sure. Because I am an "online guru" and apps expert, I can think of many ways to extend the reach and market penetration for this book. I'll be sharing those ideas with the author on his Facebook page. Whenever two or people come together to share an idea, each leaves richer and better off for the experience. Thank you Tom for a well written book! Full Disclosure: I had never heard of this author until two weeks ago when I bought the book.
on March 28, 2013
This is my review of The Kindle Publishing Bible. DISCLOSURE: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. It's also a long review because I want to articulate the points so that I can be as clear in my opinion as possible.

For this review, I will use excerpts from the text in certain places to illustrate points. I will endeavor to keep these quotations as short as possible to keep from revealing much of the content.

Overall, I would say that there are some useful nuggets of information for those completely new to self-publishing on the Kindle platform. However, there is some advice that, as presented, does need to be mentioned as potentially damaging to new authors. What is and what is not potentially damaging and the implications are a matter of opinion, but those things are for the customer (you) to decide. I merely present the other side of the argument and allow you to make a decision.

Judging the title of the book with the blurb vs. the content of the book, I cannot match them together. The title excites my expectations. When I see the word "Bible" in a book's title, I expect one of two things: a holy text or the end-all, be-all guide on the subject--the ultimate source to which there is no equal. And "Bible" indicates that the book should be useful to people of all levels of experience in the given subject. This book is geared toward very new people with no idea of how to proceed, but once they get some movement on their titles, the few bits of useful information are obsolete.

The author spends a great deal of time early in the book on titling and presentation of your book, and while I agree that titles must grab reader attention, they should--more importantly--reflect the book in hand in an accurate, appropriate way. This book may have sold less copies as, "Basic Strategies for Newbies in Self-Publishing," but it would've been a much more appropriate title.

On to the potentially damaging bits:

At one point, the author discusses a concept known as Frictionless Blogging, and further, Frictionless Publishing. Basically, frictionless blogging is submitting content to make it visible to the public in order to motivate yourself; you don't want people seeing unedited content, so you force yourself to improve the live document quickly. The author discusses publishing said unedited content at $0.99, then racing through the editing process because the live book needs the work.

From the book: "For frictionless publishing, I write the book, finish the chapters and then post it on Kindle with minimal or no editing immediately for 99 cents. At this stage, the book is definitely worth at least 99 cents so I know that anyone who reads it will get a lot of value out of it and will NOT be disappointed in their investment."

I would recommend that most people not follow this piece of advice. I'm sure that some authors are capable of producing flawless (or near perfect) content on the first pass, but the overwhelming and vast majority of writers are not. The last clause states, "and will NOT be disappointed in their investment," but I think you'll find the opposite to be true; people get angry about paying for unedited material. Even downloading and reading free books results in reader backlash if they feel like their time has been wasted, the book isn't properly edited, it has lots of mistakes, and so on.

I was a bit disappointed with Chapter 6: How to Get More Reviews (the ethical way) and How to Handle Bad Reviews. I actually expected to skim the chapter while looking for things that I didn't already know, but the chapter was quite short. Two methods are discussed: asking people you know to review the book (with a disclosure of their relationship to you) and using the 1000 Top Reviewer list. No mention was made of advanced reader copy giveaway programs. No mention of book bloggers. No mention of dealing with small, local, or internet media sources who review books. Nothing about blog hops/tours, guest blogging, publicity (other than one page about getting reviewers), the pros and cons of social media, having your own blog, newsletter, or anything else. Thus, I was a little shocked when I saw "Bible" appear in the title.

From the book: "Some authors will tell you it's unethical to ask your friends, family and colleagues to review your books. That's bogus! It's only unethical when positive reviews are paid for or given in return for something else, or when reviews are made without disclosing the relationship between the author and the reviewer."

Yes, it's better if a reviewer discloses any relationship with the author, but it's better to have completely third party reviewers. In the opinion of most authors I've talked with and myself, readers with a close relationship with the author should be actively discouraged from reviewing. Reviewers with a financial interest or personal interest in the book (friends, family, editors, cover artists, collaborators, proofreaders, or anyone else connected to the book) may be violating conditions of use agreements by reviewing the book on a public marketplace/website. Some could be in violation of FTC regulations for non-disclosure of financial interest in the product or, in some instances, the law itself. Aside from all of that, reviews from unbiased third parties will always be the strongest recommendations, and that should be where you put your focus.

Unbiased third party reviewers who do not receive compensation are always ethical sources of reviews and always legal.

Kindle Select is mentioned as one of the keys to success, but spending any time in author communities will bring you to the quick realization that the KDP Select program isn't as useful for authors as it once was. Some are still seeing success with the program, but like all other programs, strategies, tactics, or whatever name you want to use, a few are going to succeed exceedingly well, some are going to do well, many will do okay, and most will see little or no result. The same holds true with advertising, marketing, publicity, standing on the street side waving books in the air, and any other sales strategy out there. And I hate to put such a focus on scrutinizing the KDP Select program as part of this review, but it's the one given the most focus as the key to success in this book.

The author doesn't discuss building a readership at all beyond writing more material/books (yes, that's important), KDP Select (your results may vary), and gaining reviews quickly (yes, that's important, too, but take care in how you do it). Also important is organizing and connecting with your readership. Building an email list, Twitter following, Facebook fan page, or fan website/forum are ways to engage readers and let them know about new releases. These methods aren't discussed in this book; instead, there is a link inside the book which is for the author's How To Make Money With Twitter ebook. (It's linked to a sign-up-here-to-receive-your-free-ebook style website, the type which collect emails for further marketing by the list owner.)

I glanced at the 3-star reviews prior to writing mine, and I agree with their assessments, also.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to recommend this book to anyone looking to get into publishing. I feel that there are more comprehensive sources available which offer a better value for the cost. In its present form, I believe you could gain equal or better value from reading free blogs on self-publishing and marketing books. At 108 pages (PDF), 6 of the pages are front matter, and 21 of those pages in the back are bonus material included from other books by the author or links to videos/blogs.

That leaves 80 pages of material that, in many cases, can be found on the internet for free, are a bit dated, or are, in my sole opinion, potentially dangerous for authors. I cannot advise anyone to spend the $5.97 list price for the title.

And it is unfortunate. I feel bad about writing this review. I don't like writing negative reviews for books. I don't like getting a book for free, especially at the request of the author to review the title, and have to give out a review like this.

As an author, I know what it's like to get a less than stellar review. It hurts. That's probably part of the reason I'm even discussing it here. I debated for days on whether I should even post this review, but in the end, I decided to do so. Given the number of positive reviews this title has received and the lack of mentioning of the points in my review (at length, anyway), I decided to share my opinions and hopefully steer those who would've been unhappy with the book in a different direction.
1414 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
This book is an excellent value.

I have on my computer over 30 different programs and books about writing and selling Kindle books. Tom's book "The Kindle Publishing Bible" is one of the best.

His advice is solid, easy to implement and very practical. He doesn't seem to hold anything back.

Great information on choosing a title and some excellent resources to help you get the best title possible.

I agree with his advice that "choosing a title is a process not a procedure.' Take your time and let the perfect title percolate to the top.

All through the book are little tidbits of wisdom not just for marketing your book but also for writing. Great advice about always stopping your writing in mid-sentence. I'll let you read the book to find out why. Very insightful.

If you want to sell more books than Tom's book The Kindle Publishing Bible is a must have.
on January 17, 2014
When I saw the keyword, "Bible", I was expecting a knock out book that would be specific and concise with "how to's" plastered through out the book. There were some - but not enough to make me go, "Woe! I never thought about that!" It just seemed too vanilla for me. Love the title. Bought the book in paperback. Not one for my collection.
on November 21, 2012
Not only that. I PAID for this book. I didn't even wait for him to put this book on free promo! Why? Because I have been watching him publish book after book, and I wanted to know his secrets. I'm a member of the group he refers to, and I paid a lot of money to receive the information he puts out in this book. So I have very mixed feelings. Giving him this review is probably going to help him sell his book, dang it all.

It's a good book. It's well written. Its very easy to read. It's got a great title. Dang again. It helps you remember that this is a process not to take personally, just do it and get on to the next project. The information is superb. Tom has added his own special marketing formula which is worth far more than you will pay for this book, but I'm not going to tell you what it is, you'll have to buy and read the book yourself.

I don't know Tom personally, but I've read his posts, and I like his ethics. Nothing says you can't use your experience to help others and make money at the same time. Dad gum it!

The only thing negative I can say about this book is that I'm not having as easy a time working through this process as Tom does. I agonize over my title and key words and getting it perfect, but that's probably because I'm an old codger. But I do know from watching so many other people succeed that this information is solid gold. Good luck in your writing and publishing career.
on November 2, 2013
I really like the tips Tom gave. Obviously he speaks from real experience having published a number of books already on Kindle.

I really appreciate how he combines the principle he's teaching with examples and other resources for further learning. Some of his lists (like websites for free book promotion for example) are great!

The only thing I found a touch distracting was the almost self-help feel. Some new authors may need the "rah-rah" but not me. But this doesn't distract from the quality of the book.

On the whole, I found myself taking a lot of notes and plan on creating a to-do list based on the tips Tom supplied.
on March 13, 2014
A recent trend among this type of authors is to flood Amazon with "how to sell ebooks" ebooks, most of them containing the same info repackaged under a different title. Desperate self-publishers buy these books like hotcakes even though there is no evidence whatsoever that the proposed techniques really work. If you look at the other titles by the same guru, they are not selling. So what can you learn from a guy who can sell only ebooks on how to sell ebooks and can't sell anything else?

Yes, I almost forgot to mention that all of these 5-star reviews are fake. This author and similar smooth operators procure 5-star reviews by swapping reviews with other authors. There are large threads devoted to review exchange among authors on the CreateSpace Community webpage and in the General forum of the KDP Community website. Or you can just contact random indie authors and ask them to exchange reviews (don't have to read the books). In case you are wondering, nowadays you can't post reviews of your own books under different identities on Amazon.com (you could before December 2012).

These crafty authors also know how to manipulate the helpful/unhelpful votes on book reviews. I haven't figured this one out yet. As another reader mentioned, the author in question can generate 20 or 30 unhelpful votes in one day for the reviews that he doesn't like. Did he sign up for 30 credit cards just for this purpose? Fascinating!
on May 31, 2014
The work is well balanced and definitely not boring which it could have been. I previously read
his Formatting Bible and i enjoyed that also. More please. Blessed be. I write a lot about healing
and Angels and that is difficult to package so i need all the help i can get from earth and above.
on March 13, 2014
This is positively the best book I have ever read on Kindle Publishing. I am very impressed with the author. I am even more impressed to see him putting into practice some of the lessons from the book.

He has a long description utilizing his key words. He uses HTML in the headings for the the different parts of his description.

Last year I spent hundreds of dollars purchasing info products from so called "Kindle Gurus." I purchased Tom's book for 99 cents on a Kindle Countdown deal. I kinda feel like I stole it from him. I have gained more from this book than the hundreds of dollars I have spent with the gurus. They would take several chapters from a book like this, rewrite them, create a long sales page and maybe a video. At the end of the page you would find a price tag of $19.95 or more.

If you wish to make money with your Kindle books or Create Space or any books then you should buy this one even at the full retail price.