How it works
1. Tell us about your Kindle
Answer a few questions about its condition to receive a trade-in quote. Even non-working devices are eligible.
2. Ship it for free
Print a shipping label and send in your Kindle for free—we'll verify its condition within 10 days.
3. Get paid and buy a new Kindle*
Once your device is accepted, an Amazon.com Gift Card equal to the appraised value of your Kindle and a 20% off credit toward a new Kindle will be automatically applied to your account.
|Other Trade-In Categories|
Already traded in?
Use your Amazon.com Gift Card + 20% promotional discount toward any current generation Kindle E-reader.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Amazon Trade-In program?
The Amazon Trade-In program allows customers to receive an Amazon.com Gift Card in exchange for thousands of eligible items including Amazon Devices, cell phones, video games, and more. Some trade-ins may also be eligible for a limited-time, promotional credit off of a new qualifying Amazon Device. The process is easy and convenient with an immediate offer and free shipping.
What can I trade in?
Eligible items for trade-in are listed on the Trade-In Store, and can be searched within the “Find more items” button, and within the “Upgrade and save with Trade-In” button on select new device pages. If your item is not listed in one of these locations, then we currently do not have an offer for it. The Trade-In program is constantly updated with new items, so check back regularly. In general, all items you wish to trade in must match the exact version on the trade-in device selection screen except in the case that a device comes in multiple colors.
How do I find out which Amazon device I have so I can trade it in?
You can easily find out more information on Amazon device models registered to your account by visiting your Manage Your Devices page.
How do I submit items for Trade-In?
Trade-In eligible items are listed on the Amazon Trade-In program page. Select the item you’re trading in and answer a couple of questions to tell us about the condition of your item. Once you have submitted your trade-in, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a link to print your shipping label. For step-by-step directions see the Submit a Trade-In help page.
What condition do my items need to be in?
We currently accept items ranging from non-functional to good condition. To be paid at the highest value for your trade-in, your device must be in good condition. You can find the full condition descriptions by visiting our Electronics Eligibility Criteria page. Non-functioning items may be sent to our certified recycler, but your submission may still make you eligible for a limited-time promotional credit towards the purchase of a new qualifying Amazon Device.
What if my device doesn’t qualify for Trade-in?
You can recycle Amazon Devices and accessories through our certified recycler at no cost to you and with free shipping.
How do I prepare my device for Trade-In?
You must unlock your device from cloud services prior to shipping us your trade-in. You can find instructions by visiting Unlock or Deregister Your Device for Trade-In. Before submitting a device for Trade-In, we also recommend that you (i) perform a factory reset in order to remove any of your personal content from the applicable device(s) and (ii) back up your applicable device(s) before performing the factory reset if you want to restore your settings on another compatible Amazon Device.
How do I ship my Trade-In?
Print the shipping label and pack your trade-in item(s) securely in a box or padded envelope to prevent any damages from occurring in-transit. You can drop off your trade-in item(s) at any UPS store or eligible UPS drop-off point. For step-by-step directions see the Ship Your Trade-In help page.
Can I trade in my item(s) in person?
We accept certain Amazon devices and cellphones for trade-in at select participating locations. In-store associates will review your trade-in item(s) and provide a trade-in offer based on the model and condition. Even non-working devices are eligible.
How long will it take to receive payment once I trade in my item?
Depending on your location, trade-in items may take up to 10 business days to arrive before they are processed. The packages you sent can be tracked anytime in Your Trade-In Account. Once your item is received and appraised, you'll receive an e-mail notification within 2 business days informing you whether your items were accepted or rejected. You can find the status of your trade-in anytime in Your Trade-In Account Once your trade-in value has been paid, you'll see the amount when viewing your gift card balance. Instant Payment may be offered on eligible trade-ins to eligible customers. If your submission is eligible for, and you choose to participate in, Instant Payment for your trade-in items, you will receive Amazon.com Gift Card(s) in the amount of the trade-in value at the time you submit a trade-in. You may also receive a limited-time promotional credit towards the purchase of a new qualifying Amazon Device. See the Instant Payment section of the Amazon Trade-In Program Terms & Conditions page for more details.
Are there any shipping or other fees?
When submitting a trade-in, customers will print a free pre-paid shipping label for sending in all items. There are no fees. If a trade-in item is not accepted and is returned, there is no cost for return shipping.
How long do I have to ship my device?
Ship your trade-in by the date specified in the Trade-In confirmation email you receive. You can also check Your Trade-In Account to check the date by which you need to submit your trade-in.
What do I do if I lost my shipping label?
You can re-print a shipping label by going to Your Trade-In Account and clicking the Print Shipping Label button on the trade-in order. If you have multiple packages or other shipping questions, check out our Packing and Shipping Instructions..
What happens to Amazon devices that I trade-in?
Amazon devices that have been accepted for trade-in are evaluated to determine the condition of the device. Fully functional Amazon devices may be sold as Used devices by Amazon Warehouse. If a device does not qualify for re-sale, we recycle the device through an Amazon-certified recycler.
Can I get my trade in back if I change my mind?
No, once our team has started processing your trade-in and the transaction is final, the trade-in device is unable to be returned.
Where can I find the status of my trade in?
The most recent status of your trade-in is available online anytime in Your Trade-In Account. If you need help submitting the items you want to trade in, you can contact Amazon Customer Service via phone, chat, or email by clicking the Contact Us button on any Help page. You can find full program details by visiting our Amazon Trade-In Program Terms & Conditions page.
*Limited Time Promotion Terms and Conditions
- This is a limited time promotion and we reserve the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time. This offer is valid for qualifying trade-in items submitted from 9:00 AM (Pacific Time) 10/1/2020 to 8:59 AM (Pacific Time) 1/4/2021. Once your trade-in is accepted, you can place a new Qualifying Device (as defined below) in your cart and the 20% promotional credit will be automatically applied at checkout. The promotional credit will expire at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time) on 2/28/2021.
- Your trade-in eligible device will be reviewed in accordance with the Amazon Trade-In Program Terms & Conditions and any applicable Electronics Condition Criteria You will be eligible for the promotional credit towards a new Qualifying Device only if your trade-in device is accepted.
- The promotional credit towards a new Qualifying Device is limited to one per customer and account during this promotion and may, in some limited cases, not be combined with other offers. The promotional credit towards a new Qualifying Device may be combined with an Amazon.com Gift Card value, including any Amazon.com Gift Card value you receive from your trade-in.
- The promotional credit can be used only toward the purchase of a new Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis, or Kindle for Kids Bundle (each, a “Qualifying Device”) that is shipped and sold by Amazon.com Services LLC and does not apply to other digital products, pre-owned devices, or products sold by sellers other than Amazon.com Services LLC. Shipping charges may apply. If you redeem this offer towards a new Qualifying Device and return the device, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the device, subject to applicable refund policies.
- If you (i) are eligible for and selected Instant Payment, (ii) received and applied a promotional credit toward the purchase of a new Qualifying Device, and (iii) (a) you cancel the trade-in; (b) your trade-in is not received within 35 calendar days; or (c) your trade-in is rejected, then you authorize us to charge your payment method for the amount of the promotional credit.
- Trade-In rules and restrictions apply; see Amazon Trade-In Program Terms & Conditions for details. If you violate any of these Limited Time Promotion Terms and Conditions, the offer will be invalid.