Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11,235 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 18,336 reviews
on June 13, 2015
I bought my Kindle in 2009. I had saved up, working as a university ticket writer. Every time an errant driver would shout his head off at me, or I had to walk the lots in the pouring rain, or use chemical heaters in every pocket of my jacket just to stay warm, I thought about the Kindle I was pinching pennies for.

When it came in the mail it was in a soft brown cardboard box with pleasant white packaging on the inside. It took me all of five minutes to figure out how it worked. And I have since used my Kindle, this exact model, without interruption for almost six years now. In the world of consumer technology, that is an eternity.

The battery life - provided you turned the Internet off - was phenomenal. My Kindle could charge for 30 minutes and run for three weeks of nightly readings before needing another charge. I've never seen such a hard-working and efficient little device. I started to personalize it, the way crazy people do pets.

I took my Kindle to Aruba, and used the 3G there to write emails to my family when I couldn't find a decent internet cafe. I have brought it to on countless road trips, plane flights, and my Kindle was with me in Paris when the Charlie Hebdo shootings occurred. And more than all of this, my Kindle was beside me every night at home, through multiple moves, sparing me the great burden of every bibliophile: five boxes of books at least in a moving truck, every time, weighing hundreds of pounds. That's a lot of work. By contrast, my Kindle slips into my girlfriend's purse.

Well, Amazon, I know no one is going to read this review. And I know it probably won't help anyone, because who is really in the market for a six year old e-reader? But I did want to write this. I had to write this. Because after so many years, it's time to move on. My poor Kindle is starting to have trouble waking up in the morning. Sometimes the top bar disappears, and sometimes my Kindle forgets how many books it has. It's time to put my Kindle down for the last time, and pick up a new one.

That Voyage model is looking pretty nice.
on January 21, 2016
An Ode to A Dear Friend
My dear kindle has powered down for the last time. Now it makes a final journey to that Great Amazon Warehouse in Kentucky.
My kindle was always there for me, always charging properly and never forgetting my page. She joined me for lunch most days and supported me through midnight heartburn and early morning bus rides. We traveled small slices of the world together; visiting Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, the Caribbean, Washington DC and the airports of Dallas and Denver.
We had six years with each other and enjoyed nearly two thousand books on rainy evenings and sunny afternoons.
But alas, her old age could not compete with 24 pounds of exuberant toddler. She fought hard at the end, rallying her buttons with out of the box youth on good days. Regretfully, she never recovered from the paralyzing effects of being grabbed, thrown and stomped. The mobility of our youngest family member signaled her death knells.
I will miss you, Kindle, though my pain will be lessened when Amazon credits me for donating your poor, broken body to science and refurbishment. My hope for you now is to teach others and maybe share a library with a new friend (if you believe in that sort of thing).
A new kindle will soon join my daily quiet moments, but know that the touchscreen, keyboard-less frame, lighter weight and haptic page press will never dim the memories of the books we've shared. So long friend, so long.
on January 12, 2010
I received a Kindle for Christmas this year and am loving it so far. I was online last night and found a few "books" for sale through Amazon.com touting that they knew how to find all the free books available on a Kindle. I nearly spent my $1.99 to buy the instructions, but then something hit me...Amazon lets you sort books by price when you look in categories - so before I spent my hard earned $1.99, I decided to check it out.

Long story short, I wirelessly downloaded a Kindle library of classics last night (50 books in all); titles like: The Art of War, Edgar Allan Poe's Complete Works, Beowulf, The Odyssey, The War of the Worlds, The Phantom of the Opera, War and Peace, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, The Iliad, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dracula, A Christmas Carol, Treasure Island, and many more. I expect to buy all of the books I downloaded would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 at $5/ea...all for FREE on the Kindle. I'm sold.

(Not only are the free books great, but a new release that typically costs over $20 when it hits the shelves can be had for $9.99 most times in the Kindle store. No, you don't get a new book for your book shelf, but you also don't have to keep buying bookshelves.)

I searched other genres as well and found many free downloads in History, Spirituality, Fiction, Non-Fiction, How-To, and every other category Amazon listed (about 15 - with hundreds of sub categories of course).

So, how did I do it? To save you the $1.99 - and wasted time reading a "book" about something that really only takes about five minutes to figure out - here are the step by step instructions (accurate as of January 2010):

1. Go to www.amazon.com.
2. Login to your Amazon account.
3. On the left side of the page, where it says "Shop All Departments," hover over "Books" and a sub menu will appear, click on "Kindle Books"
4. Again, on the left side of the page, under the "Browse" header, scroll down a bit until you see "Kindle Books" again...these are the categories available. Select one that suits you.
5. This will likely bring up the "best sellers" automatically. Which cost $9.99 usually. At the top right of the listing, change the "Sort by" drop down menu to "Price: Low to High".
6. Click on the books you want and "buy" them for $0.00.
7. In about 15 seconds, the book will show up on your Kindle - and you can enjoy your free books!

NOTE: As an unexpected bonus, Amazon likes to suggest other purchases based on your activity. Since you're downloading free books in a certain category, after you download it, the suggestions come up and show you 5 - 10 more free books in that same category that are popular. So, as you start searching the free books, don't be discouraged by the unknown titles you may see at first...get your feet wet with a few you do find and want, then watch the suggested items - you might be surprised - you might not be able to stop before you've amassed quite a library.

So, if you're a Kindle reader, hopefully this helped save you $1.99 - and much more maybe.
44 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2016
Awesome e-reader! Works well in any lighting condition! Key product features include:
Slim and Lightweight: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines. At 10.2 ounces, lighter than a typical paperback
• Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle, anytime, anywhere; no monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
• Books in Under 60 Seconds: Get books delivered in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
• Improved Display: Reads like real paper; now boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and even crisper images
• Longer Battery Life: 25% longer battery life; read for days without recharging
on July 15, 2015
Bought this in May 2010 for $259 and it's still running like a charm. I haven't come close to denting the memory capacity and it's so comfortable to use, plus I love the pink wrap I bought for it. I've been tempted to buy a newer kindle but the free 3G capability is pretty awesome. I have zero issues with having to click a button the side of the device to turn the page, rather than the newer touchscreen version. Funny side note: I only JUST found out about the firmware update....I've been running off the original firmware all these years x.x
review image review image
on February 11, 2017
I've had my Kindle 2 since Oct 2009. I was so delighted with it I even named it. My Kindle seemed utterly magical to me. I could download the Complete Works of my favourite 19th and early 20th century authors for little or nothing at all and they'd be there in a matter of seconds! ! For a book-lover with a limited budget, Kindle 2 was a dream come true. Now, 8 years later, it still is. I recently considered updating to a Voyage because of the built-in reading light but the newer Kindles seem industrial and cold, not user-friendly. E.g., my Kindle came with a small instruction book for getting started and was altogether easier to get going than my friends' newer versions that come with a USB rechager and no information on starting the Kindle! Then, today I saw that my Kindle 2 could command as much as $495.00 if I chose to sell it. I used to joke that I'd prefer to be buried with my Kindle than sell it and even at $495 I still won't part with it.
on January 14, 2016
I have had this Kindle since it came out, so 8 years? I bought a decal to pretty it up and a case to keep it in at the time as well, and use it daily. I slip it in a plastic bag when I go to the beach to keep it sand-free. I travel with it, it has fit in many purses easily. Always awesome. I was looking at the new models but don't see what I would gain from them. Once in a blue moon mine will freeze but just reboot and it's good to go again. The battery lasts forever if Wireless is turned off, so I turn if off when I don't need to sync page location to my phone or when I'm not looking for new books. I have no wear or tear on it or its cord. Whisper net is cool. I only use this for reading books, the experimental features it has never amounted to much. I only wish when I get ebooks gifted that they would be auto-delivered without my having to be told about them and going to look through my email around the promised delivery date to approve them.
I love my Kindle 3G - 2nd generation. I have probably had this for 2 ½ years. I love all my Kindles but this is like an old workhorse - steady and mostly dependable (I have two Kindle keyboards including this one and then a Fire).

I am a bookaholic and a reviewer. I keep gathering books - both digital and hardcopy - and I probably have at least 3,500 unread Kindle books at this point. I do like reading on this Kindle. But I am old school enough that I still like hard copies of books once in awhile, too.

The screen is easy on the eyes. I did buy a book light since the screen isn't backlit Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light (Kindle Version) Black and it works very well while camping or just needing a bit more light.

This second generation Kindle was the first one I bought. It is sturdy. I've never had a problem with it and it still runs fine. So why get two more? Storage. I have that library of about 3,500 Kindle books and this second generation only holds about 1,500. Yes, I know Amazon has a "cloud" but I am old-school and like all my books on MY library shelves, not Amazon's.

Positives:

1. I love the 3G on my Kindles. I can look up book info or download books almost anywhere in the world almost instantly. WiFi is just not as convenient until you're actually connected to it.
2. I love the battery capacity. With the 3G turned off, I probably have close to two months use time. And even with the 3G turned on, I probably have close to a month.
3. I love the Text-to-Speech feature. My Kindle can read to me if I happen to be at an exciting point in a story and need to drive/go somewhere. I just plug it into my car's audio system or earphones and continue with the story. And it reads to me in either a male or female voice. This is a plus since I am partially deaf and can sometimes understand one better over the other. It's not an audiobook experience since the reading voices are faintly robotic but it'll do in a pinch.
4. I especially love taking my Kindles on trips with me. Rather than loading ten books in my suitcases, I have access to all the thousands I have bought and access to many thousands more.
5. I actually like the toggle controller on this model Kindle as compared to the 5-way controller on the newer Kindle Keyboard. The 5-way tends to get caught under the Kindle cover I have and makes the right control harder to use. This isn't a problem with the toggle controller.
6. I love the adjustable text size - great for tiny print (or bleary eyed days).
7. I LOVE having the built-in dictionary.
8. I DOUBLE LOVE having the capacity to highlight sections of whatever I might be reading and write my own notes.
9. I am so glad that I'm able to sort my books into different genre collections on this Kindle. I can't on my Fire. This was a later free software upgrade to the Kindle, thank goodness.
10. Very handy - you can right click on a book title and sort into a collection; or go directly to the Amazon website and read more about the title (very useful when you have as many books as I do); or delete from the Kindle (doesn't delete from your permanent library on the Amazon cloud).
11. You can also right click to search around in the book, or see highlights, or notes.

Negatives:

1. Can't increase storage capacity. How much of a problem would it have been to put a microSD expansion slot into all the Kindles? I know that Amazon can get people to buy more Kindles this way but I would have bought the updated models anyway PLUS storage cards.
2. I have had some plug contact/charging problems. I believe this is common since I just had my Fire replaced because of the same problem. In this case, I've been able to get around it by wrapping the cord around the Kindle and the plug is able to make proper contact this way. Not optimal but doable - and I like this Kindle so much I want to keep it working.
3. I have noticed the Kindle locking up when I have been highlighting quite a bit in a book. This doesn't happen on my newer Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display. It can be quite annoying.
4. The damage to my budget is devastating because of my lack of self-control. Just one more book...

I have just written about things I've used my Kindle for. I haven't downloaded anything from my computer onto it - I HAVE a netbook and use it. I don't listen to music on it. I have an MP3 player and use it. I have used the web browser but it is very slow and cumbersome and as noted - I have a netbook and use it.

The Kindle overall is easy to use: buy a book, auto download, and start reading.

NOTE: I now have a Fire and use it more than my netbook. I will be reviewing the Fire later and will write more about that.
on May 18, 2009
Wow. At first when the kindle had come out I thought it was just an expensive toy to flash at your intellectual snob friends, but you know what? This thing is actually really awesome! Here are my personal comments on the kindle:

NO MORE EYE STRAIN!!! Not having your eyeballs scorched, seared and scarred by the traditional computer screen is really nice. If you're anything like me, reading from most computer monitors is many times quite painful. I get terrible headaches if I read too long from the usual white background of most sites. But, you don't have to worry about that with the kindle! With the great technology of electronic ink, there isn't any back-lighting pounding relentlessly like the desert sun on your tender eyes. This means you can read for longer periods of time without eyestrain.

NO MORE NECK STRAIN!!! Since you can position the kindle any way you like, you can elliminate neck strain and shoulder pain. :-)

IT'S OH, SO GREEN!!! You know, they should have made the kindle green because it sure is going to save a lot of trees, especially if more avid readers like myself invest in the kind little kindle (or the big one :-).

CHEAPER READING MATERIAL: It seems that most books are at least somewhat cheaper than their hard-copy counterparts, whether they be hard-cover or soft-cover. You can also get some books either for free or almost free. Most classics like Alice in Wonderland and Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes mysteries are good examples.

NO MORE NEWSPAPER FOLLY: If you read newspapers a lot, sometimes you get ink all over your fingers and hands. Also, it can be quite cumbersome to fight with a huge, non-cooperative newspaper on the toilet... or anywhere else you may read.

LIGHTER TRAVEL: I can't leave my house without taking a mini-library with me. Although this is probably good exercise, it will be nice to not lug around 50 pounds worth of books where ever I go. This is especially nice for air travel since you can fit more of your other stuff in your carry on.

USER FRIENDLY: The kindle is very natural and user friendly and it's nice that you can go to the last page read without any fuss. You can also do searches which of course you can't do with the paper version.

I don't read too many blogs so I can't comment about that aspect of the kindle. However, all in all, it's great for newspapers and books. As far as magazines go, I guess it would depend on what kind of magazine you're talking about. If you buy it for the pretty colors and pictures, the kindle isn't the right way to go (at least for now). But, if you are mainly interested in the verbage, the kindle is primo, uber-cool, bravissimo!
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2010
Well, there are over 14,000 Kindle reviews at the time I am writing this, so I am not sure what more I can add to all the things that have already been written--except for this, MY opnion. Let me preface my review: I am not an Amazon fangirl or Amazon hater either one. I do not work for Amazon. I am trying to be fair and honest in my evaluation.

I have been eyeing the Kindle every since the first one came out. I was waiting until the all the "bugs" were worked out, including many of the negative review's concerns regarding both the Kindle 1 and 2, and for the price to go down, which it did. However, I still held off not sure I really needed the "bells and whistles" that the Kindle offers over my other basic reader that is somewhat limited in its use. There are also several other very nice readers out there by Sony, BN and others that made the decision a tough one. The competion is really fierce, Amazon needs to be vigilant.

I read most of the Kindle reviews (a time-consuming process!!) and weighed all the options. I compared the Kindle 2 features with other readers such as the different Sony models and the new Nook. I looked at reviews and videos from other websites for many different readers. Reasons I finally took the Kindle plunge:

1. Amazon has been in the forefront of the ebook reader line. Nearly every electronics website recommends the Kindle over other brands--and has so consistently for the past few years. I figure experience counts for something. Amazon has the size and power to have a very good product if they so chose. I hope they continue to do so.
2. Amazon seems to have good customer service over all when you compare the percentage good vs. bad review numbers and the comments people have made. I personally have always had good luck with them for my other purchases. In this tight economy and with the competition growing among ebook readers, I suspect Amazon will make every effort to keep their customers happy. I hope, anyway.
3. Whispernet. I was not sure I "needed" this feature, but it seemed so very convenient that I decided to give it a try. It allows you to order and download a book over the 3G network without connecting to a computer. It is wonderful-no more tethering to my computer!!! Main drawback is the money I am rapidly spending on books since this quick and easy feature allows for instant downloads! I like the fact that it can be turned off when not in use to help spare battery drain.
4. Selection. Amazon has a huge selection of ebooks. I have seen the reviews where people complain that Amazon does not have what they want. I am sure that happens with all ebookstores. So far, Amazon has had everything I have wanted and more. If they want to stay on top, they will keep it that way--the Nook and Sony are watching.
5. Design. It looked and sounded great in all the many videos I watched and reviews I read. I also tried other in-store models of other readers when I could. Now as a Kindle owner, I do think it is one of the easiest to navigate, read, and look at. It is slim and light and very intuitive. I have not had any problems at all with the readability of the screen as some have mentioned. I am really puzzled by those reviews. I also found I really like the keyboard and the online search feature--maybe a little too much! I would like to see folders, although I thought I saw somewhere that is forthcoming, or maybe I have not figured it out yet. At any rate, it is not "obvious" if it is there. I also have not had any trouble with the 5 way toggle switch as some reviews noted.
6. Go to sleep feature. This is a very nice feature that helps save battery drain. The pictures are cool, too.
7. Long battery life. So far the Kindle seems to have a very long batter life. Other readers do also, and I was afraid the Whispernet feature would be a problem in that sense. It is not.
8. Accessories. There are a boatload of really cute skins, covers, and screen covers available for the Kindle. Other readers have them, too, of coursde, but I really like the ones for the Kindle. I have a skin that looks like a colorful bookshelf and it is so cute!
9. Choice of Kindles. I got the Kindle2, but am considering the DX also because of the huge screen. Nice to have that choice available even if you don't get both.
10. The user support manual included on the Kindle itself, the paper owner's manual, and the Amazon website all have instructions that are all very easy to follow, a huge relief!

Features I did NOT like and hope Amazon will change in Kindle 3--I will upgrade if they do:

1. No SD card. I would really like to see an external memory device added. Evidently the Kindle 1 had it, not sure why Amazon did not include it on the Kindle 2. However, there is a generous internal memory.
2. No owner replaceable battery. I would like to be able to buy and replace the battery myself. With the economy as it is, I would like to know my device is going to last a while and when the battery does finally fail, it will be a simple, relatively inexpensive thing to fix.
3. Expensive additional warranty. I know a LOT of electronic things offer the option of buying an extended warranty and think it is a good option. I just wish the price would come down a little.

In summary, I am so thrilled with my Kindle 2 that I don't know why I waited so long to get one. I do think all the reading and waiting was profitable--but I should have done it much sooner!

Amazon, you got a great product here. Keep up the good work and you have at least one happy, return customer here. SD card and battery please. Remember, the compeition is watching.