Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Someday (Sunrise Book 3) forum

Kindle download to a nook?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 275 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 5, 2011, 6:30:53 PM PDT
YA Librarian says:
This has been a very interesting topic. I just recieved a gift card for my Bday and I was thinking of buying a Kindle, however when I went to my public library I saw their ebooks can be downloaded on almost all devices save a Kindle. :( That hurts. I love Amazon dearly but i think they are shooting themselves in the foot. I also agree with the statement beta vhs.

Im a high school librarian and we are currently looking at e readers. We have decided to go with the nook only because students will be able to download from public libraries in our area. It will also give them more options. I'm no expert but it sounds like the nook is winning. I hope Amazon changes their strategy.

Posted on Apr 15, 2011, 3:01:36 PM PDT
Tammy says:
I think the problem is with Barns and Noble not Amazon. Amazon let me read my Kindle books on just about everything, iPad, Ipod, iphone, PC, Mac, Android Phones and Kindle. I bet they have no problem with selling books for the Nook.

Calibre is great, but even it can not get around DRM locks.

It would be so nice if we had a 7 inch android/kindle in color.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011, 3:44:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2011, 3:45:34 PM PDT
MissAngelaB says:
Of course you can read epub formated books (barnes & novel, and several other publisher/retailers) on kindle. The problem is that amazon (tropid/.amz) DOES NOT work on anything other than the kindle. Which makes it seem like amazon just wants to use their foothold to sell more kindles... which is really apparent when they refuse to allow resellers on amazon to sell everyhing apple EXCEPT ipads which has the kindle software to read the kindle formats (tropic/.amz).

The Nook allows every format from every digital book seller except amazon because amazon formats(tropic/.amz) are proprietary and amazon would need to tell B&N how to let the nook read it.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 11:11:38 PM PDT
jbs says:
I'm sorry, Angela, but that's incorrect. Kindle does NOT support epub, although there may be a way to convert the books. However, the DRM can be stripped from Kindle books, allowing them to be converted to epub books which can then be loaded onto the Nook. http://bit.ly/glfxKG

Amazon came around on book lending, which used to be available on Nook but not on Kindle. Hopefully, they will also come around on epub; this is a big advantage Nook has over Kindle, imo.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011, 7:07:48 PM PDT
MissAngelaB says:
"but that's incorrect. Kindle does NOT support epub"

Thank you for the clarification. ^_^

Yes you can remove the DRM legally, as long as you live in a country where such a thing is allowed without breaking any laws. In America I understand that it is Illegal to remove the DRM. My advice still stands that the greatest power lays with the consumer to choose by voice and spending habbits. I personally send quick emails to publishers that I want their books for my Nook, but refuse to pay for it and illegally remove the DRM and now that is yet another $$Amount that they don't have in their pocket because I can't put it on my nook.

The publishers will at some point realize that they either need to also be selling their books on B&N.com, or start pursuing Amazon to allow their books to be made available for reading on the Nook. At least one can hope.

Regardless, I refuse to buy a Kindle because of their decision to make their e-books as extremely proprietary and only allowing a kindle(device or software) to have the ability to read the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011, 12:04:30 PM PDT
J. Reilly says:
My husband told me one of his night nurses has a nook and she claims she buys books for her Nook from Amazon. I am trying to figure that out now, I'm searching the net looking for how to do this. I might have to go talk to his nurse to see how she does it. I see this is an old message so maybe it's been resoloved?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011, 8:29:09 AM PDT
Tammy says:
She "rooted" it. This makes it an android tablet then she got the android Kindle App for it. If you don't know what "rooted" means you can Google it. This will break your warranty. The Nook is coming out with a new operating system soon and it will be an android one that you will get free. I doubt it will have a Kindle App in their store, but you never know. iPad, iPod and iPhone have Kindle App in their iToons store; so lets see if Barns and Noble will before "rooting" a Nook.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011, 11:18:50 AM PDT
J. Reilly says:
Thanks Tammy. I will wait and see what happens with the Nook. I have been thinking about upgrading to the color Nook anyway? Anyone have any ideas on this? Or finding an affordable used iPad now that they have the iPad 2 out. The used ones aren't selling for much cheaper, sheesh. I was going to buy the Kindle until I learned I can check out library books with my Nook. Too bad Amazon won't let you do this with the Kindle or I'd have switched.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011, 12:25:10 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Hang on J. Kindle is coming to the library too I read on Yahoo news. (I'm holding out for a Kindle/android/color...please Amazon guy.)

Posted on Apr 24, 2011, 4:35:20 PM PDT
My frustration was also exacerbated by the kindle proprietary insanity. I bypassed them an got an iPad then I downloaded the free apps for B

Posted on Apr 24, 2011, 6:46:33 PM PDT
J. Reilly says:
Thanks James but iPads are too expensive for some of us and I don't really need that much power in an ereader. I was hoping that I could buy a used iPad for relatively the same cost as an ereader now with the new iPad2 but sheesh, they're still at almost $400 when I could by the 2 for another $100. Seems silly to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011, 9:44:43 AM PDT
Tammy says:
How is kindle proprietary? You do have it on you iPad right? It works right? The Kindle is only made to read Kindle books. Just as iBooks only works on Apple's iPad/iPhone. The Nook books only work on the Nook. Amazon and Barns and Noble have apps that let you read their books on iPad/iPhone and computers. However, iBooks only work on Apple products.

The new Nook update is on Barns and Noble. They have thrown the ball into Amazon's court now. (Sorry, folks no kindle app for the Nook.) But the other stuff looks so good. I think I might buy a Nook. Please Amazon guy save me...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011, 10:57:59 AM PDT
MissAngelaB says:
The Amazon Format is Proprietary. Apparently so is the iBook format. Think of it like this. I buy a paperback book. I can read said paperback book any time I want, I can pick it up of the shelf and read it anywhere I want.

Epub format can be read on any device that supports ebub format (iPad, iPhone, android, nook, kindle, blah blah blah TM Pending) because epub format is an open source non proprietary format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB) that I can "take off the shelf" and read on any device I buy of MY choosing.

The original Kindle supported only unprotected Mobipocket books (MOBI, PRC), plain text files (TXT), Topaz format books (TPZ), and Amazon's proprietary DRM-restricted format (AZW). (Note where it says proprietary)

Now if you have researched how to get your amazon books onto your nook or other e-reader of your choice instead of having to (A) Buy a kindle, (B) Download KINDLE software to your computer, or (C) Download Kindle software to your iPad/iPhone/Android then you know that Amazon has been increasingly switching their books over to their TPZ or AZW DRM restricted formats, unless the Publisher of the book has made the format something else (e.g. epub).

If you have researched how to get your amazon books onto that favorite e-reader of yours, then you should also be aware that BREAKING DRM is against the current US copyright laws, as well as laws in most larger nations because they all have decided to start creating international copyright laws that are having wide sweeping effects. Yeah you may not think those pesky laws effect you buy in time they will.

You also then should be aware that "rooting" your system also has possible negative effects, your warranty will be null and void. Why is that a big deal? Well here it is, if you do something that "Bricks" your e-reader (which is a fancy word techs use to imply that an electronic device is no better than a brick or a paperweight because the software no longer works) then you will need to go out and buy another e-reader.

Please I implore all of you, even if you DO purchase your books from amazon, and now apparently Apple iBooks, please please please complain to the publisher of the book that you want to be able to read your e-book on a device that you choose to read it on, and not some device that a company says is "OK". In the long run it will keep people from having to "root" or "break" DRM Laws. Book sellers such as Barns and Noble, Amazon, and etc would not be in business without the publishers selling their books through them to us.

The power of how you spend your $$ speaks louder than words for most companies. I don't have a problem with amazon wanting to sell kindles, however those sales should not be because they have books available in a format that only a kindle (Hardware/SOFTWARE) reads. There are, I promise, more people who don't want to bother with trying to figure out how to break the DRM and who do not want to root their devices than there are people who can and will.

Oh and stranger things than a company pulling their software from a device have happened. Also who says that Amazon will be around 20 years from now? What then, when your books are in a format that died with Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011, 11:59:25 AM PDT
J. Reilly says:
Tammy, the Kindle format may not be proprietary but the Kindle itself is. I can check out library books on my Nook and share books with friends who have a Nook. No can do with a Kindle. Now I'm told BN are making it so you can buy books from Amazon on the Nook, eventually. Can't do that with the Kindle. It's proprietary because if you own a Kindle you have to get your books from Amazon, no other source can download to Kindle.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 12:13:51 PM PDT
J. Reilly says:
Thank you Angela. Since I have been thinking of getting a different ereader your post has been very helpful to me. I bought the ereader because of illness, my shoulders are degenerating due to illness and I can set the ereader on my lap or a pillow if I'm lying down, and read without holding it and worrying about the pages flipping if I fall asleep. I don't have to hold on to it IOW. So, there's a reason some of us really need the ereader but I see and understand your points.

I had wanted to switch to the Kindle because I prefer Amazon's pages and have been flipping between Amazon and BN to look up books I might want. Mainly Amazon keeps a good record of what I've looked at, BN doesn't, it's just convenient and a pain to go between 2 websites but...

Being able to get books for the Nook at the library is a deal breaker for me. Yes, ereader manufacturers have proprietary software because they are in the business of making money. True I can download kindle ereader to my Mac because amazon wants me to buy their books but, I can't download BN books to a Kindle or Amazon books to a Nook because they each want me to buy from them. You lose a lot of freedom in where you can shop.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011, 1:22:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011, 1:25:20 PM PDT
MissAngelaB says:
J. Reilly, I support buying whatever e-reader you want. Actually I encourage competitive business, because some people prefer the Kindle, and others love their Nooks, while yet others prefer whatever e-reader they have chosen.... What I do not support is not being able to buy a book from Amazon and read it on a Nook, or vice versa.

I bought the book, the company I bought it from gets a cut of the profit. If I buy a book from Amazon, they get a little bit of $$ from that purchase, just as B&N does. I therefore should be entitled to read it on whatever device I have chosen as my favorite, just as others should be able too read it on whatever device they find most comfortable.

If you want a comprehensive comparison between the e-book formats and e-reader formats as well as links to more information on each, here are some links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers

That list might not include ALL of the formats/readers but it is at least one of the more extensive lists. I think that B&N has some pretty good features for their Nook that the Kindle doesn't, and vice versa. It all comes down to what we as a consumer want in a device and prefer. If there was any "One" better product we wouldn't have so many companies (HP/Dell, B&N/Amazon/Borders, Best Buy/New Egg/Fries Electronics, McDonalds/Burger King, the list quite literally goes on for thousands of pages worth).

What I am proposing isn't to slap Amazon or B&N for wanting to compete. I am proposing they be slapped for not realizing their products will still sell, just as well if not better, regardless of where the e-book was purchased. It is solely why my stance is that the publishers should be yelled at by the consumer, because they are the ones that give B&N/Amazon/Other the ability to sell books to begin with.

Yes it is a painful painful thing to have to get in touch with every publisher of every book purchased. However in the long run it just benefits us as the consumer to tell companies what we really want. In this instance the companies that really matter are the Authors and Publishers of those Authors, who can keep publishing books because their consumers buy the goods from those companies. Currently because of how this little e-reader war is being handled their are a LOT of Authors and Publishers who are not having their books bought because B&N/Amazon refuse to work together in this one aspect of allowing their books on each others devices.

That little bit of profit could potentially create a long term problem for those companies, as those companies rely on their publications being purchased to maintain their expenses, and the profits giving those companies the ability to expand or publish further.

Really, what e-reader someone likes the most doesn't matter to me, I'm more concerned with my favorite authors and publishers being able to continue producing publications for me to enjoy.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 1:36:40 PM PDT
J. Reilly says:
I agree Angela, I was only stating the main reason I decided not to switch the the Kindle is because I can check out library books on my Nook and you can't do that with a Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011, 1:41:33 PM PDT
MissAngelaB says:
J. Reilly ^_^; Yeah I caught that ;)... Sorry I'm just passionate about this, particularly because I own a small publishing company and have a tenancy to go off on things I'm passionate about. Also I appolagize if how I state things sounds a bit off putting or more like lecturing. Unfortunately I'm one of "those" people who just can't seem to sound any other way at times. Talk about the fights I've had with family/friends because of it.

I've also read in several places where a lot of schools have chosen the nook for that same reason, the ability to get e-books from libraries.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 1:47:09 PM PDT
J. Reilly says:
I'm that way too Angela, LOL. Don't want to get me into a political or religious discussion, so, no worries. ;-) I will try and write the publishers to put pressure on the manufacturers to allow people to have freedom of choice when purchasing ebooks. ;-) It also makes it more competitive. Sometimes the book is cheaper at BN, sometimes at Amazon. We should have choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011, 1:49:51 PM PDT
MissAngelaB says:
^_^ "Don't want to get me into a political or religious discussion, so, no worries."

LOL I'm the same way there.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 6:11:25 PM PDT
Can't you download the software that is used to load Amazon Ebook on your computer, and install it on your Nook? Nook uses Android so if you can't load the software then someone can create an App.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011, 8:56:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011, 9:00:59 PM PDT
MissAngelaB says:
You would still need to "crack/root" the Nook in order to get the "kindle software" on the nook. Which again kills the warranty for the nook.

Edit----- The kindle software for the Linux operating system is different from the kindle software for the windows operating system, which is different from the mac version, android version, iPhone version, etc etc etc... The way each "operating system" works is different from one another. There is no way to install a PC version of the kindle software on the Nook.

Also how the Nook Android OS works it would make it difficult, without cracking/rooting the nook, to just write an app for the Nook. Amazon would also need to "authorize" a version of the kindle software to work on the Nook first.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 9:27:03 PM PDT
J. Reilly says:
I guess what I was hoping was that Amazon sold books for the Nook and vice versa. Guess not. Ah well, it's one of the reasons I had so much trouble deciding on an ereader in the first place but it is helpful to have the ereader because of shoulder pain. I do still read paper books, currently reading Merle's Door, an excellent book if you're a dog lover.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011, 8:50:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011, 8:57:14 AM PDT
Tammy, The problem is not B&N. The Nook uses ePub which is a universal format used by Gutenburg Press as well as many other ebook readers, but the Kindle has a proprietary format .AZW/.AZM which is based on mobipocket format.

The B&N books can be read on all the devices you mentioned with the exception of Kindle. It can also read .PDF, .TXT and Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents along with a few others.

The new update to the B&N Nook also now makes it a full fledged table with Web, Email and downloadable apps.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011, 11:18:09 AM PDT
Phong Nguyen says:
I started with a Kindle. I brought over 20 ebooks from Amazon. Then got fed up with the propriety formatting and switched to a Nook.
I figured if I'm going to continue spending money and re-building my book collection with ebooks, heck I would want it in an open format.
Never went back. No regrets. Except, I wish I had never brought the Kindle nor the 28 plus ebooks from Amazon in the 1st place.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  162
Total posts:  275
Initial post:  Feb 3, 2010
Latest post:  May 14, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 39 customers

This discussion is about
Someday (Thorndike Christian Fiction)
Someday (Thorndike Christian Fiction) by Karen Kingsbury (Hardcover - February 1, 2008)
4.8 out of 5 stars (175)