Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > A Journey: My Political Life forum

Kindle pricing - again!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2010 4:36:13 PM PDT
What happened to the idea of saving trees and saving money with a Kindle? $3 difference between e-format and real book. Come on, book industry, make it worth while!

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 4:47:25 PM PDT
Phil Wheeler says:
Yes, at this price I'll wait for the paperback version: It's not like he left office yesterday.

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 2:57:15 AM PDT
W. Damour says:
And although he may have more to say than George W. in his reflections, I'll not pay twice the price to read it. At least not until I can borrow it from the library. Would never (do you hear me?) ever pay that price for an ebook.

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 7:10:16 AM PDT
I absolutely do not see this price as fair. Not compared to other new books and not in light of the sales info I was given, when contemplating my purchas of Kindle. Books were to be 9.99, or less, books could be converted to voice, etc. and I paid 259.00 for the device. No fair! I won't pay it.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 9:33:45 AM PDT
C. Andersen says:
I simply find it outrageous that Amazon could even think about selling an e-book at a price higher than a printed book!
There is only one thing to do and that boykot Amazon and buy your books elsewhere.

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 8:50:38 AM PDT
I so agree about the price!!! It is ridiculous that they want to charge $17 for the Kindle version!!! The hard cover is $18 and change. They are completely missing the point of the Kindle. Sad.

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 9:29:22 AM PDT
David Dixon says:
As is often the case, I imagine we'll see the price drop to $9.99 once the book hits the NYT Best Sellers list in a week or so. This is how Amazon works when they're the ones setting the price of a book, as seems to be the case with this one.

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 10:00:03 AM PDT
Does anyone know if we can buy Kindle books from Amazon UK? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 6:18:16 AM PDT
REP says:
Agreed!! Kindle purchases should be much cheaper than hardcover. Kindle users are not destroying trees to read a book and should have some advantage in choosing to be paper free.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 11:18:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2010 11:20:45 AM PDT
I bought a Kindle the first month it was available. As an avid reader, I am very happy to be able to carry "my library" in my purse. However, when I purchase the Kindle edition of Blair's book, I am the only one who will read it. The price, therefore, is $17 per reader. For one more dollar ($18), I can purchase the hardcover and share the book with many people, lowering the cost to less than $4 per reader. Guess which edition I will buy!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 5:55:10 PM PDT
R. Jones says:
I thought the publishers set the prices of the Kindle version.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 5:54:19 PM PDT
David Dixon says:
Sometimes it's the publisher setting the price, sometimes it's Amazon. If it's the publisher, you'll see a little notice under the price saying something like "Sold by: Macmillan This price was set by the publisher" like is shown for Johnathan Franzen's new book, Freedom.

There's no such notice with this book, so it's Amazon setting the price.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 7:43:55 PM PDT
K. Roberts says:
19.99 for Ken Follet's new book on Kindle? Outrageous. I bought my kindle on Amazons repeated statements that most new books would be 9.99 or less. So far I am seeing 14.99 and more. What a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 4:38:24 AM PDT
David Dixon says:
No, what Amazon said was that most NYT Best Sellers would be $9.99. And when most books have hit the Best Sellers list, Amazon has lowered the price to $9.99. Obviously, they can't do that for a book that hasn't been released yet or one that just came out as they aren't on the NYT Best Sellers list yet. Amazon loses money when they do this as they're still paying the publisher their original asking price, but they do continue to do it.

However, of course, Amazon was recently forced to strike deals with publishers that allow the publisher to control the price. So we've seen a lot of $12.99-$14.99 books like the aforementioned Freedom. My suggestion is that if you don't like those prices, don't pay them and maybe the publishers will learn from it.

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 8:34:12 AM PDT
David Dixon says:
See, book is now $9.99.

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 6:38:23 PM PDT
Well , it's back to hardcover for me . Back to the good old days of buying 15 dollar hardcovers and selling them back for 10 on amazon a week later . See how the publishing houses like going back to the old book swap days . I actually prefer reading on my itouch because of its compactness and carry around ability but its not worth such a cost differential .

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 8:45:15 AM PDT
They are very very greedy at Amazon but one day soon somebody will come up with some software which allows downloads into a Kindle from a fairly priced site.

Try being a writer and selling on Kindle... They take a massive 70% then a delivery fee... The independent writer has no choice but to charge stupid prices for a reasonable return. If you are happy with only a few $s per book they will let you keep 30% !!!!! Just want some cheap items on the site.

They make Ryan Air seem like philanthropists!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Journey
A Journey by Tony Blair (Hardcover - September 1, 2010)
3.9 out of 5 stars (106)