Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2010, 4:16:02 AM PDT
No paper, no printing, no shipping, same price?... wow that Kindle is a great idea! Now that I'm a Kindle I get to pay the same price as hardback? This is the second series I am dropping on pricing principles.

Posted on Apr 21, 2010, 6:15:48 AM PDT
gms says:
The hard cover book is $0.49 cheaper than the Kindle. Why? It does not make sense. gms

Posted on Apr 21, 2010, 10:59:27 AM PDT
SuTx says:
It would appear that the publishing industry has its collective heads in the sand. E-books are an opportunity rather than a threat. There are other authors and other publishers, and, in the long run, competition and our unwillingness to pay bizarre prices should straighten this mess out.

Posted on Apr 21, 2010, 1:47:31 PM PDT
I would like to know why the Kindle edition is more expensive than the Hardcover edition.

Posted on Apr 21, 2010, 6:32:23 PM PDT
Seajohn says:
I bought a Kindle because the lower price of the e-books would quickly cover the price I paid for the device. At the new prices it would be more cost effective to return the Kindle, buy the book and then sell it to Half Price books. This would also allow others to enjoy the book without the publisher getting additional funds.

I really hope that people don't pay the inflated price for the e-book, so that maybe the publishers will rethink the prices. I can't imagine how it is more expensive to produce and distribute an e-book than it is to print and ship the book. It seems like any other industry would relish the ability to produce the product when the customer wants it with no inventory going to waste.

Posted on Apr 22, 2010, 7:24:40 AM PDT
This has gotten way out of hand ! It's ridiculous. After investing $270.00, we start off beautifully paying 7.95 or 8.99...then, whammo ! We get wacked for prices for Kindle books at prices more or less equal to the Hard cover version ! This is totally unfair and immoral. How can Amazon do that to all the loyal customers and anybody ?
Amazon should address this issue or it's going to get ugly comments like here on this blog page ! It will result in much less business for Amazon and will bring severe criticism on a national scale about the ripoff Amazon did to its KINDLE customers. Not good for anybody. Please pay attention to what is being said.

Posted on Apr 22, 2010, 8:22:00 AM PDT
Amazon is unconscionable in not protecting purchasers of Kindle who expected to pay a maximum of $9.99 per book. Once read, we cannot pas along our book to another person to read so the consumer is being ripped off.. It's a wonder noone has commenced a class-action lawsuit against either Amazon or the greedy publishers

Posted on Apr 22, 2010, 11:41:54 AM PDT
It's absolutely ridiculous to have to wait forever to buy a Patterson book. But then the publisher AND Amazon add insult to injury by jacking the price over the cost of the hard cover. I will NOT buy future books from this publsher in any format. I can't believe that James Patterson allows this to happen. Shame on all of you greedy people.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010, 7:21:50 AM PDT
Brian says:
Amazon has nothing to do with the pricing of this ebook. 5 of the big publishers got together and as of April 1st decided to go with an Apple style agency pricing model (Random House has opted out and is still doing things the old way). Amazon no longer buys the 'book' at a wholesale price and then decides what they'll charge for these publishers titles. Instead Amazon is like a consignment shop selling the books for what the publisher says and getting a straight commission (and you'll also pay sales tax on the ebook now if the pub has a presence in your state). The reason so many print books will now be cheaper than the ebook (at least for the short term) is that with print Amazon still decides what they will sell it for.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010, 7:40:51 AM PDT
C. Tunbridge says:
I love James Patterson and the Womens Murder Club Mystery, but I am NOT buying anymore. I refuse to buy the Kindle version when it is MORE than the hardback version. (Or when it is the same price.) I will wait until I can borrow it from a friend and not pay anything to the publisher or author!! These authors need to rein in their publishers!! Or are the authors getting greedy too?!?!

Posted on Apr 26, 2010, 9:41:41 AM PDT
J. Gossert says:
I saw an interview with James Patterson and he justified the price of hard cover books by explaining that you have to pay not only for the costs of the physical book but everyone involved from the author to the book seller. I understand that. However, isn't it better to get $9.99 for a book than to get nothing? Because while I will pay $9.99 to read something on my Kindle, anything above that I will simply borrow the book from the library or find something else to read. They seem to think that raising the price will force us to pay it and that's simply not the case - at least not for me.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010, 9:47:47 AM PDT
Loralea Grey says:
I feel that e-book owners are being jerked around by publishers and Amazon. Why should they let Apple decide what the rest of the world should do. I have to believe that more people are reading on Kindle, Nooks and Sony Readers than are going to be reading on and IPAD, and so let's be fair to those readers. And as many have said, ebook readers can not sell their books (which really is a crock) to other readers or even loan it out to someone that isn't on their same system of reader. Unfair! I've complained to Amazon, but complaints don't seem to be changing anything. I'll wait to read Patterson books until they drop in price.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010, 2:18:39 PM PDT
This sounded like a really interesting series; and, so far, I haven't read any books by this author. What I think I will do is not buy any of these books for my Kindle (or new hardback), but will go to the very good local used bookstore. I still occasionally get hardbound or softbound books, if there is a reason. As far as I'm concerned, the ridiculous price is a good reason.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010, 6:01:09 PM PDT
Dear shortsighted publishers,
Looks like it is back to the library for me until sanity prevails. You can have my $9.99 if you want or you can have me borrowing the best sellers from the library. Which way do you make more money?

Posted on Apr 27, 2010, 3:27:09 PM PDT
I have to agree with all of the above posts ... I saw the interview w/Patterson and thought he was full of it then and find I still feel the same way ... there are a lot of folks who are working for less, lot of folks who are doing without but who would still pay 9.99 for a good read - now Patterson (with mega bucks) decides to stiff the working class - what a guy!!!!! Hmmmm does he work gor the government?????

Posted on May 2, 2010, 3:45:39 PM PDT
S. Copeland says:
You know, the publishers may not care at all about the delayed release of books] The price could go down to $9.99 or even $8.99 and produce a WHOLE NEW WAVE of Kindle downloads thereby keeping the book on the bestseller list for even longer... we may all be missing the high ebook price/release delay point altogether... just sayin'

Posted on May 3, 2010, 2:10:46 PM PDT
Book lover says:
Love the series but I will NOT pay that much for the kindle edition...this is a good example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face! Lower the price guys...then I will buy it

Posted on May 3, 2010, 6:06:51 PM PDT
Francine says:
I will NOT purchase this or any other Kindle book that sells for more than 9.99. If the price doesn't go lower, I will simply NOT read the book. No skin off my nose but I hope that enough of us who do that will send a message to the publishers or who else is responsible for the prices that are as high as buying a hardcover. Duh!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2010, 5:28:36 AM PDT
deenie says:
Since publishers seem to be setting these prices, it seems that contacting them directly or not buying any of their books might have a greater impact. Hitting the pocketbook always seems to work especially with the volume of kindle readers and current economy.

Posted on May 4, 2010, 7:53:34 AM PDT
Pottericia says:
At least I can resell the hardcover, can't with the Kindle.

Posted on May 4, 2010, 9:28:49 AM PDT
Deb says:
I've asked Amazon for a button similar to the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" for the books where the publisher determines the price at or above a print edition. It should say something like "I'd like a fair price for the Kindle edition". They could then forward these "requests" to the publisher.

I haven't heard back from Amazon about this idea.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2010, 9:49:43 AM PDT
C. Tunbridge says:
I've asked Amazon for a button similar to the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" for the books where the publisher determines the price at or above a print edition. It should say something like "I'd like a fair price for the Kindle edition". They could then forward these "requests" to the publisher.

WOW...I LOVE this idea!! Good thinking!! I think that is a great way to get feedback to the publishers.

Posted on May 6, 2010, 7:02:35 PM PDT
Kat says:
I,also,don't understand why some ebooks cost as much or more than hardcovers. I mean, since there's no paper, binding or dust jacket used on an ebook, seems like the expense involved would be less.
Anyway, while there are at 3 book listed that I'd like to read, including this one, I'll just wait patiently till the price comes down. Actually, I've been getting the free ones when I can find a good one. I've found some pretty good stories this way.

Posted on May 14, 2010, 6:32:37 AM PDT
E. Kosh says:
Why would I buy this on Kindle when the hardback is $14.50. PLEASE honor the $9.99 that was promised to me when you sold me the kindle!

Posted on May 19, 2010, 11:47:52 AM PDT
I've started rating the books as 1 and telling that it's because of price...on the 9th Judgment it's working! There are more 1s than any other rating. And most importantly DON'T BUY anything over 9.99! Because anything we accept over that will become the new standard.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Apr 21, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

This discussion is about
9th Judgement (Women's Murder Club)
9th Judgement (Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson (Paperback - March 1, 2011)
4.5 out of 5 stars (870)