Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 71 reviews
on July 7, 2016
Some central characters appeal to me more than others - Tal Hawkins is one of the best that Feist has created. I love the constant struggle within the character between his goals & expediency, & between revenge & forgiveness. And there is a modern-day parable in the figure of Kaspar too, who is a 'good' person with many flaws, who is exploited by the evil that he allows into his life. Fascinating!
on June 13, 2006
King of Foxes by Raymond Feist is the second book in the Conclave of Shadows trilogy with the first being, Talon of the Silver Hawk and the third being Exile's Return. This book continues to focus on Talon or Talwin as he is later known. However, towards the end of the books Pug again forces his way into the story. I wish there would be a story where those `super power' characters would have very little to no involvement. It just seems that every time they show up you know things will work out for the good guy's side. As I said in my review of Talon of the Silver Hawk, if you are contemplating reading this series I highly recommend going back and reading Magician: Apprentice and those books first. The story is much more enjoyable with all that background knowledge.

The plot of this book is fairly straight forward and continues right off of where the first book left us. Tal inserts himself into the entourage of Kaspar. Of course Tal has many reasons for being there, which I will not say here because I don't want to post spoilers like others have done. There are really very few side quests in this book. It mostly centers on Tal and his quest to avenge his destroyed people that we learned about in the first book. There is not much deviation in what the reader can expect to happen. Even though I had never read this book, I anticipated about 80% of what eventually happened. The pace of the book was fine, but I didn't feel the urgency to know what happened next as I did in previous books by Feist. I don't mean this wasn't a good book just that suspense was not as present as I have come to expect from Feist.

The characters in this book are mostly the same as the first book, and they have not changed all that much either. They are still rather bland and uneventful. There was really nothing about the characters that made me want to see them succeed or fail. In past Feist books the characters were so captivating that I either rooted for them or despised them along with the characters. The characters often drove the plot, not the plot pulling the characters. To me reading this book I just felt the characters were there and along for the ride. I can easily see how these characters could have been great, but I think Feist faltered a little in this category.

Overall, I got out of this book what I expected. A solid story with some fighting and some political intrigue. Like I said above, it's not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe Feist is a victim of his own success here. After writing several gems the well had to run a little dry for a period of time. Feist includes a decent cliff-hanger at the end to almost make sure the reader will finish off the trilogy (which I will certainly do). Most fans of fantasy will find this book enjoyable. There are no huge magical battles, or monsters, so if that is what you are looking for you may want to look somewhere else. However, if you are looking for a solid tale that will keep you turning pages this will certainly suffice. I would certainly not hesitate to recommend any of the Feist books to fantasy fans.
on April 21, 2017
Good read.
on January 18, 2013
The first book, Talon of the Silver Hawk was such an enjoyable ride that I just had to jump right into this, the second novel, because, well because I was so caught up in the characters adventures I had to keep going. This, to me, is the hallmark of good storytelling. Raymond E Feist certainly knows how to tell a good story. For the first time in years I found myself reading far beyond the time I should have been sensibly fast asleep. And yes; the suffering the next day was well worth the cost. If you love 'boys own' adventures then you will love this tale.
on January 19, 2017
Very, very good book. It will grab your interest and run with it. Very creative Medieval themed story with many different interesting cultures and just a splash of magic.
on December 19, 2014
Second of the conclave. Where the boy. Much older still wants revenge for death of his people. Discovered that some of village were alive. He set plans in action. To kill the people who destroy his village. So he sent himself as a trusted agent. So he can stop the man. But fate or other who wanted war. Was it. The duke or someone else!
on July 26, 2017
Bought these for my son to keep. We all love these.
on February 5, 2016
Raymond E Feist does it again - another great book in the Krondor saga and sequel to Talon of the Silver Hawk
on September 27, 2015
Exactly what i've come to expect of Feist's works! Yet another homerun in the riftwar cycle.
on December 23, 2014
I've enjoyed this series so far. I hope amazon gets all of Raymond E. Feist's books. I've also read the magician seres and that's really good to