|Print List Price:||$11.99|
Save $3.48 (29%)
Price set by seller.
King of Ithaka Kindle Edition
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
This book is written in a modern style, with Telemachos and his friends speaking and behaving like modern teenagers. He spies on girls and steals alcohol, goofing off like any other 16-year-old boy might, but he isn't what I would call wild. He is very much a boy at he beginning, but hardships and experience set him on the road to being a man.
There is just a little bit of romance in this novel, but that is not what the story is about. It is about learning what is more important than strength, courage, and generosity. It is about learning to see reality instead of building too much on wishes and beliefs. It is about learning to stand on your own two feet, but still understanding the value of friends.
Barrett has crafted a compelling and unique retelling from Greek mythology. Newcomers to the story of Telemachos will delight in his escapades as well as Barrett's rich descriptions of ancient life.
This well written book uses ideas and language that are appropriate for the early teen. Boys, especially, will be drawn to the hero, Telemachos, whose experiences include adventurous situations where he does not always have the solution.
Barrett creates an unexpected Telemachos - he's afraid of the sea, and he can't do a lot for himself. I interviewed her for my column/blog and she had this to say:
"I think that both Telemachos and Penelopeia have a lot of fears that govern large parts of their lives. Telemachos knows that his father sailed away and never returned; therefore, the sea naturally holds a lot of terror for him. He also doesn't have any kind of role model; his grandfather is old and befuddled, and most of his neighbors are greedy and lazy. Somewhere inside of him he knows that he really needs to man up, but he's so afraid of growing up (and also, he has a pretty cushy life) that he closes his eyes to the abuses going on in his home. Penelopeia also doesn't want him to grow up. It's easier to spoil him, not make him work, and indulge him, than to allow him to face the suitors and perhaps lose his life by challenging them."
Neat story. I enjoyed it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Keep this in your classrooms. Tracy Barrett is a teacher's teacher.Published 1 month ago by Corabel Shofner
This is a great book to learn from from, great storyline. But, it takes some time to get into. Lol😁Published 16 months ago by Camryn Oliver
I really liked this book wasn't good at first but got very interesting. I thought that it hold a great story. I liked how it included historyPublished 16 months ago by sprtsterjunkie
Very interesting, you never want to put the book down that's how good the book really is. DON'T JUGDE A BOOK BY ITS COVERPublished 17 months ago by Jessica Nyce
I wish I had read this book before studying the Odyssey in school! Odysseus's son must face his fears and set sail in search of his long lost father, or risk losing his kingdom if... Read morePublished on May 21, 2012 by D. Emory
The King of Ithaka is a book that takes readers back to ancient Roman times. It relates to stories like Troy and The Odyssey. Read morePublished on February 26, 2012 by noname
Okay. I need to start by saying that I'm a complete and total classics nerd. I have a degree in classical studies, I've read countless papers on classical mythology, and written... Read morePublished on December 23, 2011 by E. Kristin Anderson
A wonderful book! No really! If you have or haven't read the Odyssey you will find this to be a fantastic and worthwhile read. Read morePublished on February 23, 2011 by Nicpod
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Children's Books > Action & Adventure
- Books > Children's Books > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths > Greek & Roman
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Family Life > Parents
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Ancient Civilizations
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Historical Fiction > Ancient
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Fantasy
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Social & Family Issues > Family > Parents
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Greek & Roman
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths > Greek & Roman
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Family Life > Parents
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Ancient Civilizations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Historical Fiction > Ancient Civilizations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Greek & Roman