Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 222 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on October 18, 2009
If you're a big KH fan, who wants to know the back-story of Roxas' time in the Organization and who the 14th member is, then you might want to check this out. If you're a newbie KH player, you might survive understanding this without playing any of the other KH games. Several people's testaments say they haven't had much of a problem. It is recommended though, if you want to completely understand everything, you play the PS2 games first. But, it's not bad for stand-alone players either. I got my younger cousins hooked right away with it. (And for those who haven't touched this game but reviewed it anyways, like the one below me, I can only say that you intentionally want to lower the ratings...)

Pros:

+ Vibrant colorful transition from its PS2 predecessors. It's like you're staring at a PS2 game inside a DS. Not bad for pushing the system to its limits.

+ The difficulty level is just right, because the Panel system affects it greatly. You can be 10 hours into the game and still be level 6.

+ Platforming is back compared to KH2. You'll be doing a lot more pushing columns and jumping around.

+ Beautiful FMVs (even though, they're just a few)

+ Dodge roll is back!

+ Some new orchestrations by Yoko Shimomura. Don't expect majority of the game to have new ones because you're going back to the same worlds from the PS2 games.

+ New parts of the PS2 worlds created. Meaning, even though we go to the same worlds as before, a lot of them have new environments made for them. So, we're not always completely in the same familiar area i.e. Agrabah's marketplace area and outside Cave of Wonders.

+ This is a long DS game. At least 25 hours and up, depending on what you do. (Not including multi-player so just consider that extra.)

+ The new Panel system, which you can customize how many things you want. It also limits what you have in your inventory. You gain a new panel piece for every mission you beat. It gives you the strategy on how you want to do your battling. Picture the Chain of Memories cards but not in a card deck. Also, you'll be using potion a lot more at the beginning of the game so it'll go quickly. You have to constantly add to the Panel deck and alter it several times.

+ New Secret Reports are added for this game. I've yet to come across them so I can't wait to read them.

+ Roxas' diary entries are interesting to read.

+ The game's script is witty and good. Good enough that it makes me dislike Larxene 10 times more now.

Neutral

o The tutorial is long but it's not as long as KH2's.

o In the Panel system, they give you level-up panels, which allow you to obviously, as the name says, level up. You have to keep collecting them to increase your level but sometimes, you won't have any place to put them.

o The story will start off very slow but it gets better as you go along. Everyone recommends the 250th day and up to 300th for the story to really pick up. For me, I don't really care. It's already good as it is. I'm less than 80 days in at this point. Unfortunately, I'm playing this game already spoiled so I know what happens. Plus, the secret behind the 14th member...

o You'll only be using the stylus to control the camera to look left, right, and up. Which, I don't have too many qualms about.

o You have customizable options on your camera control and other things.

o Yes, you might find some parts of the worlds/scenes repetitive, but the ice cream eating has a somber meaning behind it.

o There is a meaning behind the title! If you still don't understand what it means, go look it up! :P

Cons

- The camera can get a bit shaky at some times when you're up against something.
- The D-pad will hurt your thumb at the beginning so please, take a break in-between playing it!
- When locking onto an enemy, I wish they allowed you to switch from one enemy to another like in the PS2 games.

That's all I really have to say about it for now. Be prepared for a slow moving story but a well-worth reward ending. :D
on September 29, 2009
This is going to be a bare bones review, because I'm only on Day 23.
The graphics are spectacular, especially for Nintendo. Nintendo has never been known for their graphics (always pixelated and basic) - but the improbable is possible when you mix Squeenix and Nintendo. They've managed to combine the best of both worlds, artistry and technique. Tetsuya Nomura's brainchild has been unleashed on the DS in such magnificent fashion. You know this game is something only HE could have created. Everything from the music down to the sound you hear when you're trying to select something that you're unable to at that time mimics Kingdom hearts 1 and 2. How they managed this feat, I don't know. When you look at Chain of memories for the Gameboy Advance, it was NOTHING compared to this. It was just a failed attempt at an original game. 358/2 Is NOTHING like Chain of memories for the GBA (i hated CoM and the card system). This is a game unto itself. A game that delves into the history of the organization, and more specifically Roxas. This takes place before, during, and after Chain of memories.

if you've never played KH before, then go ahead and play the first one. After that, it's up to you which you choose to play next. I would leave KH2 for last that way you'll have a better understanding. It's like a book with many volumes. They should be read in order, no?

So far my only 2 negs. about the game would be;
1)NOT ENOUGH VOICE ACTING. HAI QUINTON FLYNN I PAID MONEY TO HEAR YOU AS AXEL, kthnx.
Seriously. I'm all for reading, especially since there's some in KH 1 and 2 (less in 2) but I want to HEAR the cutscenes not read them. That is reminiscent of Chain of memories. I suppose they had to though, to keep the file size smaller.

2) I'm not too fond of the panels. Setting it up and all, it's a learning experience and with a learning experience comes a learning curve. I'm sure ill get used to it, but so far, eh.

Well that's it. I'll edit this as i go through the game.
on October 31, 2015
Ok so I got this game a while back and apparently my first review didn't post for some reason so here it goes. I spent countless hours playing this game I enjoyed every last cutscene and text dialogue. So much so that I decided to replay it. However I will say gather as much heart points/badges as possible and watch your panels. Make good use of the space given
on September 27, 2015
Kingdom Hearts is my favorite series of game and this one is no exception, it's a must have for anyone who is a fan of the series! If you are new to the series I would still highly reccommend it, the story is played out so anyone can jump in to this wonderful universe.

Game took me about 40 hours to complete and had fun each second, it was a truly wonderful experience!
on June 6, 2016
Haven't finished it yet, but I love it.
It provides hours and hours of gameplay. It also take you (as Roxas) into familiar worlds from Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 and delves even further. There are new rooms such as completely different Cave of Wonders and access to a hall above the Beast's Castle foyer and the top floor of the ballroom. The extra challenges (at least in solo mode) are complex-but-doable, and very fun.
I wish they had made a version of this for PS2 or some reasonable console. The touch-screen is hardly utilized and the game can played without using it at all.
Highly enjoyable game. As a fan of the series, I recommend it.
on December 17, 2015
I like it, but halfway through I don't know what happened, but I just *lost interest*. It's crazy for someone who's a die-hard KH fan to say that, and to even give a KH product less than 5 stars... It was probably the mission based platform that bored the bejezus out of me, scaring me away....The concept is awesome though, and it really gives you a sense of the Og13 Nobodies' lives.
on July 17, 2015
This game is a lot of fun. Great graphic quality too and step by step! If you like Kingdom Hearts I'd add it to your collection! It definatly goes into the history and background story a bit too so I feel like its a very important game to play in the series.
on December 27, 2015
This game was really fun until the ending hit me in the feels so hard that... nevermind, just know that it was bad... Then I played it LAN and that was SO MUCH FUN! Though if you go through all the stuff to unlock Sora, he sucks, REALLY BADLY. His final is Ars Arcanum, the same as those homing projectiles when you fight-- the final boss-- on --the second phase--. They look neat but they always miss and they deal NO damage.
on October 28, 2009
As a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, I knew I was going to buy this game the instant it was announced. That being said, I kept up on the news as it was coming out and pre-ordered the game here on Amazon. Now that I've beaten the game I feel justified in giving a review.

First of all, the storyline is excellent as always. Fans of the series will know exactly what is going on. To me, it seems like they explained the story clearly enough for those that just picked up the game to have a rough idea of what happened in the rest of the series. The game continues the plot by filling in most of the missing details while simultaneously setting up some mysteries for future games in the true Square Enix fashion.

The Nintendo DS does a good job with the cutscenes which look almost as good as a the original Kingdom Hearts. Thankfully, they put in quite a few scenes, fully 3D with voice acting, into the game and you can watch all the scenes again once you beat the game in the Theater Mode. At a quick estimate there were over 30 minutes of cutscenes. As for the actual game graphics, they did a decent job. My only big concern while playing was that the Keyblades are obviously 2D in a way that sticks out when you turn the camera at odd angles. This isn't much of an issue, but it is noticeable.

The controls are pretty much the same as the PS2 counter parts which makes the game intuitive for fans. The small controls are a little bit problematic and I found my fingers getting a little tired of hitting the same button over and over for my next big concern with the game. For some reason that the boss level enemies in this game had way too much health. I was in Proud Mode, which is more difficult, but as the game progressed it got to the point where I would just run away from enemies rather than waste 10 minutes where I'd have to smash the attack command to even kill it. Additionally, all of the enemies will disappear when they're pushed too far from their spawn point which was another problem since some enemies actively run away and your attacks can send enemies flying.

This lead to several instances where I was just annoyed because I was almost finished killing the enemy and they would disappear only to respawn at full health. It seems like they gave the enemies large health to offset the amount of damage they'd receive in Mission Mode, which can be multiplayer though I haven't had a chance to experiment, but it seems like they could have differentiated between multiplayer health bars and single player health. Another small issue I had was telling the depth in the game where sometimes I would get hit by attacks I didn't think were close enough, but I attribute this to the small screen on the DS. Another issue with the battle system was the camera system which didn't work very well. Though the added an "auto-lock on" feature later, it wasn't very helpful when you are hunting a specific enemy.

Another big issue I found was that regular attacks just don't do much damage. The only way to effectively hurt enemies with attacks is through the combo finisher moves which makes upgraded keyblades useless because they generally extended the number of hits in a combo and most latter enemies aren't stunned by regular hits and will counter attack before you can finish your combo. Magic is the most effective route but it is limited by how many magic panels you equip which brings me to the next point.

Another feature that annoyed me at first was the "Panel" system. It is an inventory system but instead of equipping just items and abilities it also applies to your level. Yes, to level up you must equip level panels otherwise you have no stat gains. This was annoying at first when your options are very limited but by the end of the game I found that the panel system was pretty fun and helped make the game more strategic by expanding the customizability of your character.

All these faults aside, there is plenty to do in the game. The main storyline is composed of several missions that a player takes care of to progress to the next story bit. This is either good or bad depending on you preferences. I found it helpful since it allowed me to play the game between classes without getting trapped into a long saga. Additionally, there is a multiplayer mode that allows you to play through the plot again with up to 3 other people. I haven't had a chance to use it with anyone else but you can do "Mission Mode" alone in order to play as a character other than the main one, Roxas. Additionally the game has a challenge mode that applies restrictions to the missions you've already completed. Both modes allow you to obtain more upgrades to make your character better.

In summary:
+Plot is excellent
+Graphics are great
+Lots of post-storyline events
+Gameplay similar to others in series
+The battle system had several annoyances that detracted from my enjoyment

Though I pointed out a lot of flaws I generally enjoyed the game. The storyline was touching and I wouldn't turn the game back in despite the hardships. I'm not sure that non-fans of the series will bother with all the extras, but for the rest of us those add another level to the game and allow for much more playability.
on December 26, 2013
I played it and played it and played it, thinking that it would get better, but it never did. It was NOT the same Kingdom Hearts games that I've come to expect from the franchise. Overall I'm a bit disappointed, but it was still an all right game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.