Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
Format: Video Game|Change

on October 20, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is an amazing series, and this game includes all of the fun of the first Kingdom Hearts game with a twist! The game follows the main plotline of KH but in virtual representations of the words that are glitched and require fixing with the help of Sora! This game differs in game play where you play as Sora alone, and includes action commands like KH BBS and KH3D. Great game with more detail adding to the overarching game!
on February 10, 2011
This is the game I have been waiting for, for months! Most people anticipated Black Ops and Fable 3 while I longed for the American version of the Japanese cell phone game "Kingdom Hearts Coded" to be released here in the states. I remember at the New York Comic Con seeing the Japanese version of Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded and thinking to myself "I need this game right now!!!". So finally after months of waiting I got my hands on the game and couldn't have found a better reason to dust my DS off.
Firstly this game is flawed. The first pretty big for me was the weird type of "cartoon" cutscenes where the Characters just stood on the top screen and had cartoon bubbles do the dialouge while once in a while they moved a head or arm. It seemed out of a bad comic book and while I understood that it was probably just trying to remain faithful to its original cell phone version I think it took away from the overall story. Seeing a beautiful cut scene with music and excellent graphics is fantastic but then jumping to the "comic book" cut scene takes you right out of that cinematic mood. Eventually however I did get over this issue.
The second however I COULD NOT forgive. The camera is HORRIBLE. I have always heard people complain about the camera movements in the KH series but until Recoded I have never encountered such issues. I had numberous times during the 20 hours I played the game that I just got quickly frustrated and wanted to shut my DS because I couldn't get the camera directly in front of me. I remember running away from a boss but the camera would not adjust and I couldn't see where he was coming from. By the time I locked onto him he hit me and I died. This game has one of the most awkward cameras I have ever played with in my life. Basically its you move then adjust the camera and keep repeating the process everytime you move. It can be very annoying. This issue alone almost made me give the game 3 stars.

The story however for Re:Coded was something that seemed particularly interesting to me. Basically Jiminys Journal from Kingdom Hearts has been erased and in its place is one single entry "their hurting will be mended when you return to end it". So King Mickey decides to digitalize the journal and try to find out (via some weird matrix/tron type machine) the meaning behind the strange entry. I dont want to ruin anything else with the game so I wont delve too much into the story but let me say for starters, Unless you have played Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 you will not have any idea what is going on in the later of this game. While I do love Kingdom Hearts it really monopolizes its fans to buying every system to keep up with the "story". Every Kingdom hearts story ties into each other and the games have been spread across 4 different consoles.

Kingdom Hearts > Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories > Game boy advance
Kingdom Hearts 2 > Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 > Nintendo DS
Kingdom Hearts Birth By sleep > PSP
Kingdom hearts Re;coded > Nintendo DS

I have personally played EVERY single game but it is almost impossible for new players to jump into the series and have any idea on what exactly is going on.

I sincerely did enjoy this game alot but as far as for continuity sakes, it isnt important. Unlike 358/2 Which introduced us to Roxas, Axel, and Xion (who were a huge part of Kingdom Hearts 2 and Probably will be part of Kingdom Hearts 3 due to teasers) Re;coded offers no situations of characters that will ever be carried over to another Kingdom Hearts game. I mean your not even playing with the "real" Sora. Your playing with "Virtual" Sora and I thought that right there made me even like the game a little less because I didnt care about this computer version of the Hero I love.

Overall for a fan of the series your gonna really enjoy this game. If your on the fence about it, trust your gut and let this one slip past you. If you do play it, Enjoy!
on January 13, 2013
The story for this game takes place after Kingdom Hearts 2 where Mickey is trying to piece together the first journal and find out what happened during the events of the first game, since in Kingdom Hearts Chain of memories, Naminé basically re-wrote Sora's memories and cleared the journal.

What happens is that a virtual version of Sora from the data in the book is who King Mickey gets in contact with to find out what happens in the book as they try to unravel the mysteries about what happened. This feels a bit wonkey to me and is a poor idea in my eyes to try to get the journal back to its original condition. The game itself is fun to play, but the story feels a bit off. If you are a Kingdom Hearts fan then I'm sure you'll get this game for the story as I did. But if you are just someone who is not familiar with the story then you will be just lost.
on June 2, 2016
Love the kingdom hearts franchise it's my all time favorite video game, and I'm happy to play some of the 3ds games, just wish I didn't have to buy a separate console to be able to enjoy all the games and story. Non the less I love them they are one of kind, it's different ways of game play is interesting but keeps it fresh, a must for kingdom hearts fans!
on January 4, 2018
Game came quickly and in perfectly new condition as well. The game itself is mediocre, but still an enjoyable experience if you’re a KH fan like myself. If you enjoy 3D RPGs (Which there are not many on the DS) this will be a fine addition to your collection!
on November 7, 2013
I have yet to finish this game, but I'm finding it to be so much fun. Sometimes it goes old school, side-scroller, which I find challenging because I'm not use to it; but that was what makes it fun. The fact it doesn't always stick to the traditional way how the other Kingdom Hearts games play. I've first heard about this game several years ago, that it came out as a Japanese cell-phone game, and yeah, it's evident even in the DS version that this once was a cell-phone game in some parts, but still awesome. I bought it because I've heard that there are secrets in it that hint about Terra, Ventus, and Aqua from Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, which is my most favorite game in the entire Kingdom Hearts series. However, since I have not finished it yet, I'm not sure how true that is yet. One part that made me laugh was the Coliseum level where you team up with Hercules and Cloud, you fight heartless in Final Fantasy style a.k.a turn-based, which I thought was genius! Over all, it feels very different from the other KH games, which I feel is very refreshing.
on March 10, 2011
This is a great new entry in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. The story is a bit inaccessible if you're not familiar with the plot of the other games. And I do mean all the other games -- re:coded is full of references to KH1 & 2, CoM, even 358/2 Days and BBS. Unlike some other entries in the series, though, this one has a tight storyline and answers (or at least hints at the answers of) questions raised by earlier games. I won't give any spoilers, but in my opinion, the last few hours of the story are truly chilling, and I'm more impatient than ever for the next game in the franchise.

The gameplay is interesting and keeps you engaged. The mandatory challenges and the inability to save while exploring the corrupted data was a little annoying for me, but not so much as to put me off the game entirely, and it didn't detract from the story. More gameplay-oriented or hardcore gamers would probably find it enjoyable, but for story fans like myself, it's interesting, and it's not necessary to play a perfect game in order to get the plot elements. I'd say my biggest beef was probably that the camera angles were overly tedious to manipulate; I'm used to the KH franchise letting me spin the camera in a full circle just holding down L or R, but in re:coded you can only tap L or R to make the camera face in the same direction as Data Sora.

Overall I'd say that this is one of the best entries in the KH franchise so far, if not THE best, in terms of fun gameplay in conjunction with a tight, interesting, and at times heartwrenching storyline. I highly recommend it to anyone familiar with the franchise.
on December 14, 2011
This game was fun for the most part. The camera was a bit tricky at first. The game can be hard and frustrating in some parts (special stages where you fight in a completely different way). The graphics were amazing for a Nintendo DS game. The graphics were actually better than 358 Days. The game can be passed in a short amount of time compared to other KH games. This game is probably more for a huge KH fan. Casual fans may be disappointed at how short this game can be.
on February 18, 2011
"their hurting will be ended when you return to mend it"

Don't know what the above means? That's okay because neither does Jiminy Cricket, the faithful keeper of the two journals detailing Sora's past adventures. Who is Sora? Anyone who's played a previous Kingdom Hearts installment on the Game Boy, the PS2 or the PSP knows that he is the main character who, armed with his powerful Keyblade, travels across worlds, fighting the hordes of darkness while searching for his lost friends. It probably helps if Re:coded is not the first Kingdom Hearts episode one plays but it's not essential. I am not playing this game but my 8 yr. old girl, the owner and operator of our family's DSi does and she just loves her first 'big' RPG where she can level up, do boss battles and feel in control more than in any other game she played so far and... get her acquinted with 'the other side of (King) Mickey (Mouse)', they real one she she says.

This installment is about the 'data' version of Sora with help from Goofy and Donald cleaning the real Sora's digitized journal's datascape of 'bugs', hoping to learn about the true meaning of the mysterious message above.

The game plays just right on the DS, taking advantage of the lower touch screen where the map and all the housekeeping 'stuff' is shown while the main action takes place on the top display. I can't say that the game is specifically made for little kids but the DS rendition makes it a lot more kid-friendly than a PS3's so thsi is an opportunity to let the younger kids (8-9 yr. olds, boys AND girls) enjoy a good game with a good story, featuring many familiar Disney characters.

I will grant Re:coded 4 stars (mean's "I like it" as opposed to the 5 stars' "I love it") mostly because anyone 'new' to the series has a lot of catch up to do to fully understand what's going on and not all the background can be find in game or in the manual. Other than that, it's a great game.
on January 30, 2016
This made me the best mom ever. I gave this to my daughter and did not see her for a week as she had her nose in the game :)
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.