Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Kingkiller Chronicles Day 3 (aka book 3)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 248 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 2, 2012, 5:59:50 PM PST
foreverold says:
the title kingkiller he either killed a king(i think he did) or somebody did[like ambrose]and fixes it so kvothe gets the blame, clue; the box has has one that cannot open, there is another one that he could not open. these are one and the same. both the maer and meluan are in line to become king/queen, it is not far removed the kvothe kills them for the box and finding out that they were the power behind the death of his blood family and ruh family. clue metal door with no key, there are tow so far the one at the school and the one that is spoken of by the white haired man with the cane with the wolf head.
i believe that if you pass thru them you are instantly there ands these posts that the ruh stop at are doors also.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012, 7:11:31 PM PST
Marc S says:
I think Kvothe definitely kills a King eventually, and cleary does not regret it.

"I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

"I've killed men and things that were more than men. Every one of them deserved it."

Posted on Mar 11, 2012, 7:32:11 PM PDT
Odle says:
1. Denna's patron is Bredon. They disappear from the Maer's town at the same time. Bredon is described as having white hair. Denna's patron has white hair as she is seen leaving with him from the Eolian.
2. Bredon is a Chandrian or controlled by the chandrian. This is seen where Kvothe is collecting rumors about the nobility. Bredon does these things in the woods as others have said. Bredon knows Kvothe from killing his parents. It is very possible that Bredon is Cinder. Bredon is also not ever seen in the company of the Maer. Bredon is the one Kvothe fought in the woods when he was killing the bandits. Bredon got away in the tent.
3. Bast has an evil tale in the story. Bast hired the men to beat up Kvothe but didn't succeed in getting Kvothe to use magic to fight back. Either Bast is trying to out Kvothe as Kote or he is trying to get someone to kill him. Although, he could also be trying to make Kvothe return to his status as Kingkiller.
4. Kvothe is the Maer's wife (Meluan) nephew. It is her Roah box that Kvothe has in the first book.
5. Masters Kilvin, Lorren and Elodin are in the Amyr. They hide all the books about the Amyr and the Chandrian. And the Cthaeh tells Kvothe that he could find all the answers if he simply would ask his teachers at the University.
6. The underthingy (as called by Auri) is the destroyed ruins of a city. The University is built upon the ruins of the `god wars' that is listed in the first book.
7. Denna is going to turn out to be either Jakis's sister (the rumors that Kvothe collected said that Ambrose Jakis' sister went to a brothel...Denna.
8. Denna asks about someone (at the Eolian) writing something down and then it happening. She either has this talent (which keeps her up at night and why she runs away all the time) or Bredon, her patron does.
9. Lanre becomes Cinder. So, it is possible that Bredon is indeed the immortal Cinder/Lanre
10. Auri has something very important in the story but I haven't figured it out. She may be a child of Elodin or one of the masters. They know she is there but haven't thrown her out of the Underthingy.
11. Auri or Denna dies/or is threatened which causes Kvothe to go into hiding as Kote.
12. Kvothe is a `kingkiller' so Jakis is either King or Kvothe kills the Maer.
13. One of Kvothe's friends will die in his stead.
14. Kvothe will become too powerful and will accidentally kill one of his friends.
15. Bast hired Chronicler to get Kvothe back to his old self but since hearing the stories told about the Cthaeh, Bast fears Kvothe.
16. The Chandrian will come into wide existence and Kvothe will have to make hisself known to all. Kvothe will defeat the Chandrian.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012, 7:41:39 PM PDT
Dog Mom says:
I actually think the person who said that the king Kvoth kills is the "poet king" - makes the most sense since that explains also the reference to his sword and what might have happened to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012, 1:29:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2012, 1:30:04 PM PDT
@Kvothe Reader:

Re:

1) there is considerable additional circumstancial evidence besides just the white hair. Dancing is mentioned in connection with both Bredon and Denna's patron. Bredon seems to be absent from town at the same times as Denna.
2) or Bredon is an Amyr.
4) Done deal. See the song in NotW that Kvothe says his father sang, which caused his mother to put him out of the wagon that night. Last line "Not tally a lot less" = Netalia Lockless.
5) I can't really see Kilvin as presented in the text as having a dark, world-shaking secret like being an Amyr. Lorren, on the other hand, is in the perfect position as Archivist to hide any information about Amyr and Chandrian. Elodin... is a mystery.
9) Incorrect - as stated in Skarpi's creation tale, Lanre becomes Haliax, not Cinder.
16) There has been a great deal of speculation that the Chandrian are not actually the bad guys, and did not actually kill Kvothe's parents. And that Kvothe interacting with them under these assumptions we've been led to have about them somehow leads directly to whatever disaster befalls between the story he is narrating and the "present day" frame story of Kote, the innkeeper.

There is a re-read by Jo Walton at Tor.com which has hashed out all of these issues in incredible depth, it's certainly worth your time to follow it if you are interested in speculation about exactly what is going on while we all wait for Doors of Stone.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012, 4:54:37 PM PDT
JAMES COLIN says:
Question. Is kvothe supposed to be older than chronicler? Even though he is described as late twenties. Chronicler, who I believe is described as much older. Curious as the how he is able to stay so young

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012, 8:40:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 14, 2012, 8:43:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012, 11:52:05 PM PDT
@ Beloved's Fool - I agree with you regarding Robin Hobb's books. I DID think, though, that Soldier Son's Trilogy was excellent. I loved it - especially the second book in the series - The Forest Mage. The world building was excellent, the experience it introduced readers to was also excellent. But as always, all things are not for everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012, 8:37:26 AM PDT
Maybe bast was forced from his home by kvothe and is unable to return unless by kvothes hands?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012, 9:54:19 AM PDT
Chronicler must be older because Kvothe read his book about the common dracus when he first got into the archives. The ages in this are all weird. Remember when Chronicler says "I thought you would be older." and Kvothe says "I am." I don't know if he is referring to the months he spent in Fae or if he goes back there in Day 3. Also, Denna was 16 or so when he first met her, but when he got to the University, Deoche says that he had known Denna for "a year and change," and implied that they had dated. That would have made her 14 or so... very weird.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012, 8:47:06 AM PDT
While Pat has indicated he intends to continue writing in this universe, he has also stated that Kvothe's story is intended to be a trilogy and nothing longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012, 7:00:46 PM PDT
I also heard that all three books were already written. Why on earth would it take four years to edit a book? There are people who can help with that, ya know. In an interview in 2007 he said: Well.... I've already written them. So you won't have to wait forever for them to come out. They'll be released on a regular schedule. One per year.

The interview: http://www.sffworld.com/interview/224p0.html

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012, 11:48:41 AM PDT
aikinight says:
I think Bast pulled that stuff at the end to give Reshi another push away from apathy. He wanted to stoke his fire with a fight.

Posted on May 3, 2012, 9:12:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 3, 2012, 9:13:01 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 8:28:27 AM PDT
Actually, Lanre becomes Haliax, not Cinder. Cinder serves Haliax. It seems abundantly clear that Denna's patron must be a member of the Chandrian, but whether or not it is Bredon is another matter, I feel. As for Bast, it seems fairly obvious that he isn't trying to kill or reveal Kvothe, he is simply trying to draw him out of his reverie. He was trying to make him use his old fighting skills and become Kvothe again when he hired the thugs.

And, of course, Meluan Lackless is the sister of Kvothe's mother, Natalia Lackless (not tally a lot less).

Posted on May 7, 2012, 8:22:06 PM PDT
Dog Mom says:
When or When is the Next Book coming out!!!!????@#$#%R!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012, 4:42:51 PM PDT
I hope he isn't going to turn into GRRM or Dean Koontz who's been halfway through the final book of a trilogy for nearly a decade.

Man, I need to seriously consider not starting series that haven't been finished... unless the authors are women. Rowling and Meyer (I was young!) never let me down like this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012, 7:35:51 AM PDT
Huggie B says:
I just read an interview with Patrick Rothfuss where he says all 3 books are done, he did them all at once. He had to decide which would be the second, "The Name of the Wind" or "The Doors of Stone". The book is scheduled to be released May 2013, another year!!!!!!!! I agree with Spike, I am going to try not to start ANY series until it is finished.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012, 2:19:26 PM PDT
ronald says:
may, 2013 expect day 3

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012, 11:06:17 AM PDT
I actually agree with you on this. I noticed it too, how they were sprinkled in as sort of an afterthought. The Felurian part is part of the magic of Kvothe, but the awkward mentions during other parts of the story are distractingly unnecessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012, 4:43:42 PM PDT
Gandalas says:
Sheeeit...try waiting for the Wheel of Time to be finished for the past 16 years or so. You have a little bit of waiting to go before you can match that! :) I have re-read that series at least 5 times over simply waiting for successive entries to come out, and then the author goes and DIES on me. :( At least they got a great replacement to finish it out...can't WAIT for January 8th, 2013 to finish it.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012, 6:58:56 AM PDT
My thought is that Ambrose is actually Denna's patron and the ring ordeal was a plot to catch Kvothe red-handed. Ambrose and Denna have been linked briefly and she remains very secretive about her patron. There could be many reason for this secrecy, but that is my thought- also Kvothe mentions that he will be betrayed towards the end of WMF- that would be a pretty terible betrayal coming from Denna! I think she certainly has true feelings for Kvothe, but still remains loyal to Ambrose. Also, I totally noted the connection to the Mayer's wife right away- from the moment she said her sister ran off with a troop- especially because he had already mentioned her looking familiar somehow. She has to be his aunt. I am relistening the first book and noticed his mother got upset about the Lackless poem he recited. I find it frustrating that he hasn't made that connection himself! He's supposed to be a genius, nevertheless, I love these books! Who know where Ruthfuss will actually take this story- I am halfway between hoping I am correct in my assumptions and hoping he will shock me.

I apologize for any possible misspelling of names- I have the audioversion of the books, so I don't know how the names are spelled.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012, 9:37:53 PM PDT
I sure hope the final book is published next year. I LOVE the first two books. Denna is one of my very favorite characters ever, right there with Rima from Green Mansions. Kvothe is a wonderful character in need of completion. When I finished the second book some time ago, I felt a real sense of loss that the final book was missing. I don't ofter reread books but am eager to time my rereading of the first two books of this series to prime me for the release of the third.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012, 11:23:41 AM PDT
C. Adam says:
Yeah, just like you, I hate starting a series that isn't finished yet. The first two books were beyond amazing, and it took him awhile to finish the first book and the second one. I'm glad that he took his time on the first two books because they were made better. In fact, I'm hoping that he takes his time on the third book, as much as I would like to have it in my hand this instant. A great piece of art can't be rushed.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012, 4:11:01 PM PDT
K. Carpenter says:
I loved this book, but now... not so much. I can't remember the first two and by the time the 3rd comes out I will have lost interest completely. Like other readers have said, I will not start a trilogy until they are all published. It's pretty crappy to leave your fans hanging for so long.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  144
Total posts:  248
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2011
Latest post:  11 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers