Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on December 18, 2017
Like all of his works that I have personally read (Encounters with Jesus, Prodigal God, Counterfeit Gods, Hidden Christmas, etc.), Tim Keller's book "Jesus The King" is an excellent piece of literature. In this book, Keller surveys the book of Mark, approaching the book from two perspectives: The Identity of Christ, and the Purpose of Christ. I was glued to each and every chapter. One of the greatest strengths of this book is Keller's ability to always point to the Gospel with each narrative that he discusses. I literally recommend this book to anyone who wishes to dig deeper and understand the life of Christ, or even to just help reflect on the Gospel message that gives us hope. This book is a great aid to accompany one's reading of the Bible, and I can't say enough great things about it.
on June 29, 2017
One word. "Incredible"! I have never been an avid reader of any kind. This book was recommended to me and I have not put it down. I have never experienced Christ in this format and quite frankly never knew it could exist for me. Dr Keller explains the life and death of Christ so beautifully that allows for readers to feel like they are actually at the events that took place.
This book is incredible and highly recommended. You want to know who Christ is, truly know? Add this book to your collection. You won't be disappointed.
on March 15, 2018
Absolutely riveting book. It is not a light read and don't be concerned if it takes a day or two of meditation to really absorb a chapter. This book would make an outstanding small group Bible study. My daughter "loaned" me her book but I just couldn't stop underlining and writing revelations in the margin. So I bought her a new one and two more for dear friends. I've wept, sung praises to Jesus, and word-smithed words all through this book. If you are not sure about Jesus, read this book by a man who really knows Him personally. You might find that you are very glad you have become much better acquainted. I definitely am.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 26, 2016
If you're looking to discover your purpose and meaning, take time to learn about Jesus Christ's life, death and resurrection. For in it, you will find your true identity and worth.

For those searching for truth and those who want to grow in their faith, Keller walks through the Good News as Mark was inspired to record it and shows us the purpose and meaning of Jesus' life, and in so doing, he reveals our purpose and meaning.

Highly recommended reading.
on October 7, 2013
I was absolutely thrilled with this audiobook....There have been a very few audiobooks that I have rushed to listen to, but this was indeed one of them. I enjoyed John Stott's "The Cross of Christ" but that requires scholarship and a degree of Christian maturity, but "King's Cross" is an audiobook that can be absorbed and appreciated by even the most unfamiliar with the Christian faith as the author guides the listener through one of the gospels, The Gospel of Mark, which is the shortest of the gospels (gospels are the 4 books that detail the life of Jesus Christ, who Christians believe to be the Savior, Messiah, The Anointed One, and Promised Redeemer to The Jewish People). I just passed this onto an assistant priest in my churhc with just one or two remarks that "it communicates about the Anglican Church" worldwide (of which I am a member) and it speaks of how the center of my particular denominational branch of The (catholic) Church has shifted to Africa and South America!?!! Timothy Keller's ability to tie so many threads together in describing the life of Jesus and the Church within the Christian historical context is akin to that of a master weaver who ultimately produces a priceless and magnificent-looking rug!!! The only other comment that I made in passing it on for encouragement and illustration of how excited I was that I believe him to be akin to a present-day C.S. Lewis (who by the way was Anglican as well!!), although Timothy Keller is a member of the Presbyterian denomination. There are some audiobooks that I want to listen to again, and I think that this is one of them....of couse after my pastor finishes it! Shalom!
on August 4, 2011
The C.S. Lewis of the twenty-first century? That is the statement that Newsweek so boldly proclaimed concerning Tim Keller. Nonetheless, he has lived up to the description. I first read Tim Keller when I picked up his book The Prodigal God. Since that day, I have listened to countless sermons and read countless articles by him. I quickly picked up a few of his other books Counterfeit Gods and Generous Justice. You can imagine the excitement when I picked up The King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus.

From the inside of the cover: "The most influential man to ever walk the earth has had his story told in hundreds of different ways for thousands of years. Can any more be said?"

The answer is absolutely. Written by a scholar with a pastor's heart, Keller looks at the life of Jesus as recorded in the Gospel of Mark. Masterfully written, Keller speaks to both believers and non-believers. Each step of the way, Keller is drawing us to a deeper understanding of Christ and therefore a deeper relationship.

The book is divided into two parts: The King and The Cross. In the first part of the book, Keller examines the identity of Christ through specific stories from the Gospel of Mark. He explains and applies scripture in a way that stirs the affections and produces a deeper love for Christ. The second part of the book begins to look at the mission of Jesus. Following the outline of Mark, Keller explains and examines Jesus' journey to the cross. Concluding his book, Keller explains the story of Christ can be our story too. Keller states, "It can be your story as well. God made you to love him supremely, but he lost you. He returned to get you back, but it took the cross to do it. He absorbed your darkness so that one day you can finally and dazzlingly become your true self and take your seat at his eternal feast".

As a masterful storyteller, Keller draws us deeply into every story. The story of Jesus comes alive and fresh as we journey through Mark together. The book is of tremendous value. I have already recommended it and given it to a few friends. Anyone seeking to pursue Jesus will benefit from greatly from this book.
on November 21, 2011
Tim Keller is a New York Times best selling author, speaker, and the founding pastor of the 5,000 person Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City. "King's Cross" is a look at the life of Jesus Christ as told from the gospel of Mark. The book is essentially a biography of Jesus and explores His identity and purpose.

In "King's Cross" Keller helps the reader see that the nucleus of other religions is advice, but the focus of Christianity is news. Other religions say, "This is what you have to do in order to connect to God", but the gospel says, "This is how Jesus lived and died to earn the way to God for you." The gospel is that God connects to you. It is not centered on what you've done but what Jesus has done for you. That makes the gospel fundamentally different from every other religion or philosophy. Keller does a splendid job of using historical, anthropological and sociological information to add greater depth to an already well-known story.

The author asks, "Why would God make us?" There's only one response. He created us not to get happiness but to give it. The Bible says that our real trouble is that we as Christians are creating our identity in something besides Jesus. We treat our Savior as the filler and not the substance.

Most readers of "King's Cross" will already be intimately familiar with the gospel of Mark. What is so attractive about Keller's book is the depth it adds to our understanding and analysis of this familiar gospel story. He provides additional layers of substance and clarity that may cause many Bible readers to find new comprehension and depth. This book should appeal to the challenging secular intellectual and the committed follower of Christ.
on May 2, 2017
It is an outstanding book. Whether you are a new believer or have known Jesus your whole life there are things you can learn from this book. It is written from the perspective of the book of Mark. I was encouraged and challenged and have already looked up passages from the book to share with others in conversations. I will be rereading the book in the future....something I rarely do!
on July 9, 2017
My husband and I truly loved this book! We read this book with our book club and had many great discussions. We both feel like this book brought great insight, deeper understanding and helped us to have deeper convictions about what the cross really means. We would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting a deeper understanding of the cross and what Jesus' sacrifice really means for us and the world.
on July 19, 2015
Excellent, insightful, intelligent, heartful, scripturally sound, and easily readable. This is fast a favorite book and is a book to grow by. The author has been referred to as a C.S. Lewis of our time; I value the writings of both and fully recommend this book.