Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, Book 2)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 26, 2012
I loved the original series, and the extension, while not quite as consistently pleasing as the original is very satisfying on the whole. The characters delight me, and although the hunt grows somewhat preposterous, I like that we are seeing new depths as the youngsters become teenagers.
on April 19, 2015
My 11 year old nephew who loves in Sweden wanted this book for his birthday. He reads/speaks English fluently. He read this in less than a week then proceeded to read it again. I personally haven't read it but based on his reading habits I would say it was a winner.
on November 2, 2012
Another great book in the 39 Clues book series. As always the story is fast paced and exciting. Thankfully the authors of these books keep in mind that you've already read the previous books and don't spend whole chapters on things that happend in the other books. Another great read.
on February 29, 2012
i have every 39 clues book and this is among the top 5 great action mystery books. kids will love it :)

(my son wrote this review)
on October 11, 2013
I bought this series for my nephews who are now 14 and 15 years of age. They have loved them and I have to admit that I have been reading them right along with them. They are written very well. They are one of those books that grad you and don't want to let you go till you reach the end and then you are craving the next book by the time it comes out.
on December 27, 2011
My son loves 39 Clues and loved this book. I think he has read it twice already. He has learned alot of geography from this series.
on April 26, 2016
Not the most standout of the 39 Clues books, and this one is where it really does become a bit obvious that the series is continuing mostly for the sake of money. It feels like plot twists are being thrown out, and I can already tell that they're not going to be the final twist, but instead are distractions.

For example, we're teased with the idea that the Cahill children's father is still alive, and is Vesper One. Look, it would bean interesting plot twist. However, it being stated so early in the series GUARANTEES this is not the case. It's going to be dragged out to the end, though.

And the initial romance between Amy and her boyfriend (a character so forgettable that I really don't know his name, he's just The Boyfriend) is so overtly perfect that he's pretty obviously a bad guy. That will be the big twist. Probably Vesper One, in the end. If not, at least Vesper One's son.

A bit disappointed that a love quadralateral is developing between Amy, Boyfriend, Ian Cabra, and Jake. And, with utmost subtly, Jake is being presented as the true endgame.

But, it's a kid's book. Maybe marketed for a kid that has grown up a tiny bit, but for kids. It's okay, not stunning, but enough to keep you going.
on February 17, 2012
This is the latest addition to the long running 39 Clues Series by Scholastic and after about 13 books and some ebooks, they are still coming up with good surprises and good plot twists. For me a good twist in the story is really an important part. Now lets procede with the Negatives and Positives.

Positives:

As I have said, this is a long running series so for me I kind of expected that the longer it takes to wrap the story the quality will drop. But they proved me wrong. With the second book to Cahills vs Vespers there were a lot of surprises for me.

1. Lots of Characters appeared in this book and this made me happy. With a lot of people involved it creates a more exciting and intense atmosphere. The part that surprised me the most is that the format of the story now is somewhat similar to how Dan Brown and Steve Berry tells their story in each book. Lots of things are going simultaneously at the same time but different places. That what makes this book so exciting to read. The dynamics and interaction between the characters is put into good news.
2. The atmosphere also changed. When Dan and Amy were hunting for the 39 clues there was a "kid happy part" about them that I like but with here they are serious young adult saving lives. For me this a level of maturity that the books need at this point and I am glad with it.
3. A history lesson is also a good part. But Im really not sure where the facts and fiction lies. But neverthless they really made good use of good locations and people to include in the story.
4. What made me read this series is that it reminds me of Amazing Race while reading it. It takes you to different part of the world. That part still exists in this book. :D

5. Lasty, as I have said above, there were a lot of twists. These twists is a good development for the story. It makes me want to immediately read the next book. and isnt that what a book should do to us.. make us want more so yeah definitely a BIG POSITIVE!

Negatives:

Not a lot of negatives I must say :D

1. I understand what made Dan changed to who he was in this book. He has a dark side to him now born because of Vesper One's action. I accept this, I really do. For me it only became a negative because I am nervous on how he will be on the future because I really dont want him to be a killer. He has now a tendency to be someone who can kill people easily. And I also share the concerns of Amy for his brother.
2. Lacking of "near death" scenes which equates to me that action is little bit low on this book.
3. I just think that they find the clues this time a little bit easy compared to the other books.
So if you have read this book what is your reaction?? Are you excited this March for Dead of Night or not?
As for me I will continue reading it and I am really excited on the next book :D
on February 11, 2012
This book continue's the saga between the Cahill Madrigals and the Vespers. It is loaded with action and adventure while it sneaks in history and geography lessons. There are some mature issues; murder, attempted murder, and kidnapping. The story is well written and leaves you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next book.
on April 5, 2013
finally the second book of the adventures of our unlikely heroes. now we will have to wait for the third book of this series and we do
anxiously look forward to the third book....we will be here waiting....