Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,784 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,174 reviews
on February 8, 2016
DVD transfer is excellent without flaw.

This is one of the best films of the last 10 years. Colin Firth gives a performance worthy of his Oscar and then some as the speech impaired King George VI. His counterpart, speech therapist Lionel Logue, is brilliantly portrayed by Geoffrey Rush. The two parry and jab, struggle with class differences then bond in the task of getting King George ready for his role as a leader of the British people.

This film is a unique look into the hidden world of British Royalty. The expectations and pressure of being a public figure are thrust upon those who may desperately wish to avoid the limelight. There is no escape. Such is life for all of us. We must, at some time in our lives, face up to challenges we would rather not. How we deal with these challenges determines our personal direction in life. Oscar winning director, Tom Hooper, manages to give us a very intimate film. We can feel the characters' anguish as if that anguish was our own. Helena Bonham Carter rounds out the main cast as the determined wife of the King. I am always impressed with Carter's versatility and skill and she is in full force here with a subtle yet powerful performance as the strength behind the throne.

This film is recommended for those above 13 as there is some vulgar language. Beyond that, I would recommend 'The King's Speech' to all movie fans. It is a viewing experience you will not soon forget and will return to view it again and again. Bravo for the Oscar winning Best Picture of 2010.
on February 20, 2017
The screenplay and acting are, of course, beyond superlatives. All filmmaking disciplines are in exquisite synchrony. Outstanding cinematography, editing, art direction, et al, create the representative time and place but, even more noteworthy, is the mood and emotional state they evoke as Albert, then King George VI, attempts to navigate the torture of his speech impairment vis-a-vis his ability to communicate with his people. He appears a lonely diminished figure, headed down high-ceilinged, long dark hallways to scary microphones, angled in some scenes to appear as twice his head size. Sometimes he seems to be approaching the mike in an isolated space, when suddenly a full auditorium rises and faces him. We're getting a real punch of that scary feeling he must be experiencing as he walks through corridors with floor to ceiling broadcasting equipment. The closeups of his face as his mouth struggles to form words are heart-wrenching. The views from high landings down winding stairwells and the shots of narrow spaces opening into vast arenas add to that almost agoraphobic sensation, aided by a slight tilting of the camera to produce a touch of vertigo. This is such an amazing movie in toto, but these particular photographic elements are impressive. A movie to be viewed over and over!
That 4-word sentence is the spine-tingling climax of the movie, a quote that's in some respects the equivalent of Terry Malloy's finding his own voice in the famous cab scene from "On the Waterfront": "I could have been a contender instead of a lousy bum, which is what I am." Of course, the words alone betray the surface meaning and ensure that we see through them to the person (Marlon Brando) who now emerges as a true champion, like King George VI ready to right the wrongs done him by his older brother (Rod Steiger) and set right the injustices of both his personal past and a perilous present.

Both statements in both movies occur under the most intimate circumstances, the words escaping the person who utters them to his surprise and only one listener. When they are subsequently "validated" in public at the end of both movies, the acts are admittedly anticlimactic but not overly so. The King's final action is at once spoken as personally as to one friend (his speech therapist) and his many new friends (the British nation); Brando's final action is on behalf of his murdered brother and his fellow waterfront workers. His final "bout" (with Lee J. Cobb) is off-screen but nevertheless felt as a victory because of Leonard Bernstein's score, just as it is largely the film score (more than the spoken words) that leave no doubt about the King's conclusive, and again heroic, personal and public, success.

Another memorable "speech" moment: never has the "F" word (or for that matter the "S--t" word) been so exhilarating in film, ranking with Gable's sensational (and at one time even censored) "Damn" in "Gone with the Wind."

The "King's Speech," then, is in good company. And you will be too (all the more so upon recognizing the fear we all experience upon undertaking an action that raises doubts about our ability to perform it not to mention our life-long search for an authentic voice we can claim as our own). The fear of public speaking is not only universal but often claimed to be rank second to no other--this film makes it understandable.
on December 26, 2012
Prince Albert was forced to the British throne following the death of his father and his elder brother's decision to abdicate in order to marry Wallis Simpson. Albert's (now King George VI) severe stuttering lead to a profound fear of public speaking, which is a bit if its own impediment to a British monarch. In secret, King George and his wife, Elizabeth (known in her later years as the Queen Mum) hire Australian speech therapist, Lionel Logue. King George resists Logue's techniques and he rebels against Logue insisting that the two men behave as class equals, something completely foreign to the King, during their therapy sessions.

The lead cast is excellent: Colin Firth as the proud but insecure monarch; Geoffrey Rush as his patient, steadfast speech therapist; and Helena Bonham Carter as the King's loving, supportive, and persistent wife. There are numerous moments of great tension, as we wait to see how King George will perform at various public speeches. There are also many humorous touches, most notably the surprise meeting between George and Elizabeth and Logue's stunned wife.

When I initially heard about "The King's Speech," my first thought was: "A movie about stuttering? How can this succeed?" But it does. The stuttering merely provides the backdrop for the tentative development of the friendship between these two very different men.
I had, of course, heard and read the rave reviews for "The King's Speech." I had, of course, heard of the Oscar nominations and then the wins (Best Picture; Best Actor for Colin Firth plus more). I bought it quite a while ago and put it aside until I was "in the mood" to watch what I thought was going to be a fairly dry movie. I pulled it out tonight and finally watched it. And I am so glad I did. What a marvelous, heartwarming glimpse of history.

I personally don't remember King George VI but I definitely remember the Queen Mother and of course Queen Elizabeth and Princess margaret. This movie not only told a story of the King but gave me some insight into the rest of his family's lives.

Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were superb in their roles, as was Helena Bonham Carter.

This movie touched my heart. I would recommend it to anyone.
on December 5, 2015
I usually tend to stay away from movies with an 'R' rating, due to not enjoying language and other things you usually find in those films. However, this one was not bad at all. I am assuming it got the rating due to the language, and most of it was only offensive to the British.

This movie was fabulous. The actors were wonderful and did a marvelous job portraying a difficult situation. I felt so much empathy for King George IV or as he was previously known, The Duke of York. He did a wonderful job portraying fear, agony and communication apprehension at public speaking. I felt for him every step of the way.

The actors in this film deserved Oscars. It was one of the best films I have ever seen. Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter were incredible and a very believable sweet couple.
on March 7, 2017
Based on a true story. Gives a peek into what was going on behind the scenes of the monarchy pre-world war two. I grew up with my parent's stories of the era and it was interesting to see their stories blended into the King's Speech. Colin Firth gives a heart warming and believable performance as the king (of course).

Best to watch it after your little ones are in bed as there is some foul language, though not used in an offensive way.
on August 13, 2013
Loved it! I watched with my 10-year-old son, and found that it included many historical events that I needed to explain for him to really understand, but the second time through he enjoyed it too. Looked up George VI afterwards and found that a trove of papers had been released in 2002-03. Much of the info about the situation (e.g. Simpson's other lover was a car dealer) seems to have come from those papers.
The only reason I could see for the rating was language. They were all words my son had already heard, and they are clearly used as a way to untie the king's tongue. I don't think it did him any harm to hear them in that way. I think the message of persisting and overcoming did him a lot of good.
on April 26, 2017
I present this film each year in my Yearbook class. With parent approval.

I used this film as an example of why communication is so important and the false assumptions that can be made when your communication is seen to be faulty.
on March 6, 2017
Wow, just wow. This is a wonderful film.
I wish I had watched it before I watched The Crown.
Such a great film.....5 stars!!!!