Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Our Best Wines Holiday Savings with 1¢ Shipping Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services LostinOz LostinOz LostinOz  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Capacity: 32 GB|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,249 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on December 8, 2007
Excellent for the price. I give it a 4/5 because it performs slower than expected from a C4 SDHC card. I also have a Sandisk EIII 2GB. Although it doesn't have the class ratings because it's not SDHC, the Sandisk outperforms the Kingston in both read/write.

My test scenario: Using a Nikon D80 taking 6 shots continuously. The Kingston took considerably longer to write contents from the Nikon D80 buffer.

If you're looking for a high speed card in a similar scenario, then look elsewhere. However, if you want a good card and no particular need for speed, then I recommend getting.
on January 19, 2008
I contemplated a 4 star rating, but when you buy the card, you know that it is a "class 4" card, which means it's supposed to transfer files at at least 4MB/s. If it's crucial and you can afford it, you could get the "class 6" card, which would make a difference when transferring large amounts of data.

In short:
*Pros:*
- Capacity. You can get more capacity, but this is a bout the best size/price ratio.
- Price. Again, 8GB and 4GB cards have the best size/price ratio.
*Cons:*
- SDHC. This is not really a con if you have new equipment, but SDHC is a newer standard, so you have to make sure you have the right equipment - SDHC IS NOT THE SAME AS SD!!
- Speed. It's not "slow", but if you've had fast cards you'll notice the difference. Of course, you know this from the "Class 4" rating, so it's also not really a con.

I've owned 2 Kingston SD cards. The oldest of them is about 3 years old and is still as reliable and good as when I first got it, so I have reason to believe this card will last for a while.

My older Kingston 50X SD card is about twice as fast as this card, but it's only 1GB, so I needed more GB's to capture more video. This card would be just about perfect if it was faster. When I say that, I don't mean that the card is slow - my Vista machine can use it for ReadyBoost and camera performance is good. Just know that ReadyBoost can only use 4GB of memory, so you'll have 4GB of memory just sitting unused if you use it for this purpose.

Primarily, I use this card for recording video clips and pictures with my Canon cameras, SD800IS and A710IS. For that purpose the card is great. I haven't noticed any lag when taking 7.1 Mega-pixel pictures (which range from 1MB to about 4MBs) or full screen VGA video (640x480). Here's some general advice for these cameras in particular, but it applies to most cameras:
1. Don't record more than about 10 minutes of video at a time because the file size goes over 1GB, but this depends on the camera and video format, not the card itself.
2. You might want to get an external card reader, if you don't have an internal card reader. You'll be fine transferring files directly from the camera if you only take a few snapshots and short videos. But if you plan on truly using all 8GB and transferring them at once, do yourself a favor and get a card reader. Most cameras are not meant to read/transfer files at fast speeds (even if they're USB 2.0 capable), and at least with the SD800IS, I could not transfer files over 500MB. Once I used a memory card reader, transferring was a breeze.

Although reading times are fast enough (between 4-8MB/s), writing is a bit slower - it tops out at about 4MB/s, which is good enough for the "Class 4" rating and fast enough to capture pictures without (noticeable) lag in my cameras.
It's a great card for the price; just make sure you understand what you're buying.
on October 22, 2009
May have just been a bad one of the batch, but 90% of pasted pictures were unveiwable or distorted, videos that were coppied to the SDHC were unveiwable. When copying documets under a subfolder, it would be copied to all folders, even created a music folder and had an almost infinite number of subfolders named "music" within each one. But customer service from this vendor is excellent. Immediate responses, very helpful.
on December 23, 2009
I didnt realize how fast the point and shoot cameras are getting sooo many megapixels until I started looking for a good one for my mom... This card is no good for a 12 megapixel camera! It takes way too long to save each picture slowing down how fast you're able to take consecutive pictures! Go for the Sandisk extreme cards and dont look back!

I only have SLR cameras, and use the San Disk extreme cards because speed is crucial! Dont cheap out on a card after buying a nice camera, or you'll be sorry! Thats the first thing i noticed when showing her how to use her new Canon Point and Shoot camera is how SLOWWWWWWWW it took to save each photo before I could take another.. If waiting a few seconds between each picture is a non-issue, buy all means save some money and buy this card.

Bottom line: You're wasting your money buying this card to use in a high resolution point and shoot, which they all seem to be now days. Just too slow!
77 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2009
I ordered two of these for additional camera storage. One was unusable from the start. The other entered a similar state after a few hours of use. Now both can be read and written, but inconsistently. Data is often corrupted and sometimes the device fails altogether. These are not the first SD/SDHC cards I've used by a long shot, and user error was not responsible in any way for their lack proper function. The other SDHC cards in my stock work fine in all of the devices I use.

I'm somewhat disappointed in the quality of this item. With a sample size of two, I can't really comment extensively on Kingston's overall quality statistics. It is rather suspect however that two of two are borked within a single order. I can't say anything about Amazon's response as I've so far dropped the ball on following up with them. Other reviewers indicate that all problems have been handled expediently.
on September 18, 2010
I just returned from a 2 week vacation in the UK with my digital SLR cameras. My wife's camera used a Class 10 16GB card, and I used the same, until my card died. Thankfully, I had purchased 4 of these Class 4 Kingston 4 GB cards. I used them to take pictures for most of the vacation without problem. Thanks to these cards, I was not forced to buy expensive camera media while 'in the field.'

Does speed really matter?
I have a 15.1 MP Canon T1i digital SLR. My wife's camera is a 12.2 MP Canon XSi. I shoot in burst mode because I do not have image stabilization on my lens (burst mode increases odds of a tack sharp image), and I often shoot in dark rooms (museums) that do not allow tripods. These cards never precluded me from recording a shot during the two weeks and 15 GBs I used them. I shoot in Raw + L mode (meaning I get a largest JPEG and a RAW image for each shutter opening). I never had a problem due to this "slow" memory card.

I researched the issue of memory card speeds before I left on the trip. I had already purchased high class cards (2x Class 10 16GB cards), but found that after I made said purchase, that they were a waste. According to both Scott Kelby and Tom Ang (the two most prolific digital photog authors): A current point-and-shoot camera will NEVER need anything more than a Class 4 card. If there is a delay in saving with a point-and-shoot, it is the camera, not the card. (assuming your card is not faulty) If you have an entry-level dSLR camera, you will ALMOST NEVER need anything more than a Class 4 card, as your camera cannot use the extra speed. I say 'almost never' because as of now the line of entry dSLRs cannot use the higher speeds effectively enough to show a benefit from a faster card (the camera itself cannot write fast enough). But, the entry-level market is growing in its technological capability, so this may change over the next few years.

The only time you will need a higher speed card is if you are using high-end dSLR work and are shooting in burst mode in RAW. This means you've spent several thousand dollars on your camera, and another grand to $1500 on your lens. People who spend that much on their equipment (professional photographers) will not read this review because A- they know the above and B- why buy such a cheap card if they can afford thousands in equipment?

Don't waste your money on higher class ratings of cards unless you have thousands sunk into your photo equipment already.

The most important thing with memory cards are (in priority order): 1- correct format (SDHC, etc), 2- size (how many GBs), 3- brand name (Kingston, Sandisk, PNY, etc) The first two are obvious, but the third item is where the rubber meets the road. Companies without the big names sell for less money, usually, to try and gain market share. To do this, they often use inferior parts and processes (or get the cast offs from the bigger companies), and produce inferior cards. Of the cards I have had fail, all have been non-name cards. Buy from reputable manufacturers and you will be happier.

Video Addendum - The above applies to photography, not videography. If you are shooting HD video (Canon T1i can do this), then you may think about a Class 6 card. Basically you need a minimum speed faster than the data speed (plus an overhead, 10-20% is usually fine). For 720p video @30mpbs (18 min per 4gb file), you need 3.8mb/s minimum write speed. That means a true class 4 card (min 4mb/s) would be cutting it close, and class 6 is a bit of overkill (unless you go for the 45mbps 1080p, then that's getting close too).
on March 21, 2010
Bought this memory card along with Kodak digital camera. Worked fine for first day, however I was at my daughter's track meet when the thing just quit working -- Camera indicated an error and told me the card needed re-formating (of course I would lose all pictures at that point). Tried to re-format the card and that failed as well !! Luckily there was a store nearby where I could quickly run over and buy another memory card so I could capture pictures of my daughter. I've had several other memory cards by various manufacturers and not one of them ever failed. This card is junk!! The last thing you ever want to happen is your camera memory card to flame out on you, losing all captured pictures and be left stranded with just the internal memory available. DO NOT TRUST THIS CARD !!!
on January 18, 2011
This card does not work in my Canon Powershot camera. I get an error message saying that the card is locked, even though the toggle switch on the card is clearly in the "unlocked" position. I have googled the problem and tried everything I found online to resolve the issue, but in the end determined that the card is defective.

Although I spent very little on this card, I might as well have thrown my money away. The card does not work, and it costs almost as much to ship it back as it I spent on it (less than a dollar difference, and not worth my time to print a shipping label, package it up, and take it to the post office). So in the garbage can it goes- what a waste!
on December 3, 2007
The price of the SD4/4GB card jumps around a lot here. It is a great value at $22. Not so hot at $40. Wait a while and it may go down again. Note that only newer SD devices can use the 4GB SDHC cards. Older cameras, etc. can only use regular SD cards up to 2GB. If you're not sure, check your owner's manual or contact your manufacturer. Also, older SD card readers will not work with SDHC cards, but SDHC card readers are available for about $10 on amazon.com
on November 30, 2010
I purchased the Kingston 4GB memory card at the same time as I bought the Wolverine slide converter. The memory card was not recognized by the converter. It was also unusable by my Nikon camera and SanDisk card reader. I returned the memory card for replacement. The people at Amazon were excellent. I had a new memory card in a few days. My new Kingston memory card was also a piece of junk. Again, I returned the card; this time for a refund. Again, the system at Amazon worked flawlessly and I was given credit very quickly for my returned card. May-be I simply got into a bad batch of memory cards from Kingston, but I don't plan to purchase that brand ever again in the future.