Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 18, 2010
I just returned from a 2 week vacation in the UK with my digital SLR cameras. My wife's camera used a Class 10 16GB card, and I used the same, until my card died. Thankfully, I had purchased 4 of these Class 4 Kingston 4 GB cards. I used them to take pictures for most of the vacation without problem. Thanks to these cards, I was not forced to buy expensive camera media while 'in the field.'

Does speed really matter?
I have a 15.1 MP Canon T1i digital SLR. My wife's camera is a 12.2 MP Canon XSi. I shoot in burst mode because I do not have image stabilization on my lens (burst mode increases odds of a tack sharp image), and I often shoot in dark rooms (museums) that do not allow tripods. These cards never precluded me from recording a shot during the two weeks and 15 GBs I used them. I shoot in Raw + L mode (meaning I get a largest JPEG and a RAW image for each shutter opening). I never had a problem due to this "slow" memory card.

I researched the issue of memory card speeds before I left on the trip. I had already purchased high class cards (2x Class 10 16GB cards), but found that after I made said purchase, that they were a waste. According to both Scott Kelby and Tom Ang (the two most prolific digital photog authors): A current point-and-shoot camera will NEVER need anything more than a Class 4 card. If there is a delay in saving with a point-and-shoot, it is the camera, not the card. (assuming your card is not faulty) If you have an entry-level dSLR camera, you will ALMOST NEVER need anything more than a Class 4 card, as your camera cannot use the extra speed. I say 'almost never' because as of now the line of entry dSLRs cannot use the higher speeds effectively enough to show a benefit from a faster card (the camera itself cannot write fast enough). But, the entry-level market is growing in its technological capability, so this may change over the next few years.

The only time you will need a higher speed card is if you are using high-end dSLR work and are shooting in burst mode in RAW. This means you've spent several thousand dollars on your camera, and another grand to $1500 on your lens. People who spend that much on their equipment (professional photographers) will not read this review because A- they know the above and B- why buy such a cheap card if they can afford thousands in equipment?

Don't waste your money on higher class ratings of cards unless you have thousands sunk into your photo equipment already.

The most important thing with memory cards are (in priority order): 1- correct format (SDHC, etc), 2- size (how many GBs), 3- brand name (Kingston, Sandisk, PNY, etc) The first two are obvious, but the third item is where the rubber meets the road. Companies without the big names sell for less money, usually, to try and gain market share. To do this, they often use inferior parts and processes (or get the cast offs from the bigger companies), and produce inferior cards. Of the cards I have had fail, all have been non-name cards. Buy from reputable manufacturers and you will be happier.

Video Addendum - The above applies to photography, not videography. If you are shooting HD video (Canon T1i can do this), then you may think about a Class 6 card. Basically you need a minimum speed faster than the data speed (plus an overhead, 10-20% is usually fine). For 720p video @30mpbs (18 min per 4gb file), you need 3.8mb/s minimum write speed. That means a true class 4 card (min 4mb/s) would be cutting it close, and class 6 is a bit of overkill (unless you go for the 45mbps 1080p, then that's getting close too).
on November 11, 2014
If you have an older computer like my Dell Inspiron 1501 the ram memory is limited to 2 gig. The bios will not accept more RAM. If you bring up task master, after you have been using your computer for a while there are a very large number of processes and services that slow your computer to a crawl. Even researching which ones you can kill still leaves you with about 3/4 of the 2 gig used up. This means that your computer has to swap to the hard drive and you have a large number of disk errors related to the disk swapping to memory. Windows has a feature called ReadyBoost in which you can install a USB or SD card to augment the Ram. This is not about the transfer speed of the USB or SD, but the access time, the USB or SD card being much faster access than the Hard drive. The problem is most SD cards have transfer speeds and characteristics related to them that causes ReadyBoost to not recognize the SD card. USBs seem to all work but having a USB stick out of the computer is cumbersome. I tried a class 10 SD card and a class 6 card and ReadyBoost would not recognize the cards. This class 4 card works. The result is 1.08 gig of my RAM is used and the rest is on the SD card. Having about one gig of RAM dramatically speeds up my computer. With the 4 gig on ReadyBoost it is like having 6 gig of RAM. I have researched this for a months contacted and worked with Sandisk which was no help. I finally just ordered cards. IF YOU WANT AN SD CARD WHAT WORKS WITH READYBOOST THIS ONE WILL WORK.
on July 28, 2017
The new High Density family of Secure Digital memory cards come in 3 speeds, SDHD2, HD4 and HD6. So this "SD4" card isn't the fastest, but if you combine SD4 speeds with a move from USB 1.0 to USB 2.0 cameras, guess what? My new 7 megapix files download to the PC faster than my old 3 Mpix shots did. So kill yourself if you want to, looking for a class 6 card and pay a premium for it, or go to an off-brand card at less cost that claims to be even faster than 6 but may break down or hang up, or just get this and repeat softly to yourself, "Better is the enemy of good enough".
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
You do not want to buy this for your late model high end Digital SLR. Neither do you want to buy this SD card for your late model digital camera of any kind. More megapixels means bigger file sizes, higher transfer rates and longer transfer times if you use this old technology memory. However if you have an old device that uses the older chips this is what you want to buy. Not all the older devices can successfully read the larger capacity memory chips. Kingston has good enough quality to handle the needs of your older devices with this product.

This is a great place to store firmware updates for camera's and other devices no need buying the top of the line chip to store data. It helps me remember where my firmware is kept. If I see a 4 GB Class 4 chip I know its a firmware storage chip not a photo chip. I keep all my devices firmware on these chips in case I get a bad firmware update and need to roll back to a known good firmware version. If I can look at a chip and tell in a glance whats on it I am better able to focus on my photography.

This memory chip works for me on many levels so I give it a 5 star rating.
on October 12, 2016
I got this SD card to use in a mini DV camera I was testing out. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because I wasn't sure the camera was high enough quality for my needs, but I needed a SD card that could hold enough video to be useful.

This one completely meets my needs. I try to buy very well-known brands, especially for reusable media that is going into digital cameras, but this one has a good size/cost ratio. 16 GB isn't huge but I didn't need huge. I've used Kingston's products before so I felt safe going with this card.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
VINE VOICEon January 6, 2010
If you need a solid, non-flashy card for your digital camera, you can't go wrong with Kingston. I've had them for 10 years in various devices and I've only had a problem caused by the camera itself. Kingston, to their credit and their amazing warranty, replaced it quickly. I couldn't find a receipt for it, but they replaced it no problem. That's great service.

The card is rated as a Class 4 card, so it can handle greater than writes of 4 Mb/s to the card. For photography, it doesn't matter unless you're using a high-end digital SLR (writing large files is an annoyance.) If you plan on filming video, the card should be fine for AVHCD lite (720p HD) but when in doubt, go for the faster (Class 6 or higher) SDHC cards. I have one of these cards for a Canon Powershot G10 shooting 15mb RAW files, and it works flawlessly.

The Amazon Frustration-Free packaging is another benefit. One of the things I hate about getting memory cards is that shrink wrapped plastic. If you're like me, you grab the nearest sharpest object to open those plastic clamshells and try to open it in such a way where you don't injure yourself. Instead, it's eco friendly AND I don't have to worry about the off-chance I'll injure myself, turning a $13 card into an expensive emergency room visit.
Had an old GPS that needed a bit more life in it. This SD card fit the requirement. The speed was plenty enough for the job and the space was enough to hold all of the new map data. I have bought Kingston memory sticks and memory disks in the past and will continue to do so if the price and specs are right. Remember, it is Class 4, so the speeds may not be what you are looking for, but also may be the required Class for the device.
on June 26, 2017
The card was damaged when it arrived in that it that it was apparently used & not new, the little tab on the side that is meant to save or not save photos you take was broken off so it wouldn't slide into the camera & it's not useable. We were at a an awards dinner & had to go 40 miles to the nearest available retail dealer to buy a disc for our camera. Disappointing, email to seller went unanswered.
on June 12, 2014
This SDHC card is class 4, which means that it reads and writes data slower than a higher rated card. For this reason, you should consider getting a faster card if you plan on using the burst feature on a DSLR camera. That being said, if you don't mind to wait a little longer for the photos to be written or the file transfer process, this card will do just fine. You don't want to be limited by the cards read and write capabilities. These are so cheap, don't be afraid to get a couple for vacation or something, but note that 8GB of photos is quite a bit for the average person, so I wouldn't think filling up one or two cards is easy to do in between instances that you would put them on your computer and delete them from the camera. If you're the average person, this cheap card will do just fine for most purposes!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I really like this product! Kingston makes excellent products and this does not disappoint!
It holds many photographs and performs very well. I am confident storing my precious photographs on a Kingston SDHC card! All I can say is make sure you never buy a knockoff. I made that mistake and lost a ton of photo's. Kingston is a reliable brand. Your photos are memories you cannot replace so buying quality is critical.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.