Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on April 26, 2014
I started with a 2GB a few years ago, then over time bought two other 4GB units. I just now ordered an 8GB unit because it's only $19.97 with prime shipping - cheaper than the 4GB right now which is still at $39.99 - go figure.

MAIN SELLING POINT: If this drive were to drop out of your pocket or purse, etc. onto the sidewalk (scenarios), or be burglarized from your house, the finder/stealer cannot see your data even though he/she has physical possession of the drive. They could reformat the drive and use it for other purposes but they would NOT get access to your data. After 10 failed login attempts the drive is programmed to lock out any access attempts and MUST be reformatted. (Kingston has a built-in process that forces you to choose a decently complex password so bad guy is never going to guess your password in 10 tries.)

These have worked for me on both Windows 7 and the dreaded Windows Vista (I got rid of my one Vista PC about 6 months ago). I now have Windows 7 on all PCs.

I have turned off autorun for security reasons. Instead, I trudge down through Windows Explorer to find the DTPrivacy launcher file on the drive in the file tree. It works, it's just some extra effort that's all.

I only dock this drive when I need to. If it's not plugged in, it's less likely to be hacked. Common sense.

Some people ( a few) might run into issues with the E: drive being blocked or in use because Explorer shows the E: drive letter is taken up by the CD/DVD optical drive (which is common). It is not hard to get around this. Either try taking the disk out of the Optical drive unit or you could go to Computer, Manager, Disk Management (IF you know what you're doing, be careful here) and reassign the drive letter of the Optical drive to a "higher" letter to remove the conflict.

ADDENDUM / OBSERVATIONS:
I find that while doing a file save of CHANGES to a 28Megabyte using Microsoft Word to the Kingston drive of a particular .RTF file with a lot of mixed tables, graphics, custom text formatting can be dog slow (like 45 seconds to 1 minute) . The hourglass for that save process takes over the entire computer. Fortunately, I don't have to save that file very often. I'm just used to it. Yes I have tons of space remaining (over a Gigabyte or more) on my Kingston drive and hard drives - that's not what's causing this. I'm not worried about it. I figure it's encryption processing that is parsing the entire content of the file for changes. Just a guess. My Text file and PDF file saves go quickly.

Years ago, in the early XP days, I did own an earlier 1GB gray colored predecessor of this drive which - it was eventually discovered - had a security flaw intrinsic to the firmware of that particular earlier series. Kingston was aware of the flaw and discontinued that series long ago. Back then these were like (trying to remember) $80 dollars(?) for 1GB.

I have deliberately passed on Windows version 8.X up till now so can't speak to usability. I wasn't up for the aggravation although I'm told it runs faster. Microsoft has recently announced (April 2014) that they will finally "fix" Windows 8.1 usability issues in two separate passes. When they will drop the shoe on part 2 of the fix, I don't know. I just know it's been announced. In the meantime, I'm happy with Windows 7.

While I would be disappointed if my current blue DataTraveler drives didn't work in the revised Windows 8.X (or even future Windows 9), it wouldn't break my heart. To have simple, reliable, off-line, self-contained security ( I leave one of these at work in case my home had a catastrophe) is a small price to pay for the peace of mind these relatively cheap backups bring. If worst comes to worst I'll purchase the new iteration and be out max $80 - $100 for 4 drives that work with the latest greatest. I doubt if it will come to that but if it does, no big deal.

____________________________

UPDATE Jan 2016 - none of these have ever failed me. They also work fine with Windows 10 - no hassles or needed updates. Can still recommend highly.
HALL OF FAMEon January 26, 2010
The Kingston DataTraveler Vault Privacy Edition features 256-bit AES encryption on 100% of the memory storage available to the user. This is in contrast with the non-Privacy Edition model which partitions the storage into non-secure and secure areas. Again, with this Privacy Edition model, every bit of data is secured; you cannot choose NOT to secure a file. (Notice the intended double negative here.)

When you first plug this into a USB port, the part of the drive that houses the built-in security program registers in Windows as a CD-ROM drive. (BTW, this product only works with Windows XP/Vista; I haven't tested on Win7 yet.) The small utility runs, letting you choose a password. You can also use the utility to set the number of allowed login attempts before the drive formats the ~4GB secured data storage area.

Subsequent plugging in of the drive results in Windows' displaying an Autorun box; you should run the DTVP program, which then prompts you for password. If you fail to type in the correct password a specified number of times -- 10 is the default -- the storage formats itself.

Windows reports 3.73GB of total available storage, in line with the 4GB rating of the drive. Even though it uses a hardware-based encryption/decryption engine, read and write speeds are below those of a "normal" USB stick drive. So this is best used for storing small documents, rather than large files. Of course, given the secure nature of the drive, most users will end up storing small document files anyway.

The cap can be easily lost, so be careful there.
on July 2, 2016
I purchased three of these for work at the request of my project manager. We had been using Corsair drives with the push buttons when our client went to encrypted drives, but they failed miserably. We bought these next and they worked fine. The software passwords worked better than the hardware buttons. Each drive got a name (Moe, Larry and Curly) which we wrote on the side. Then, a password for each was created using a pass phrase that incorporated the drive's name. Very easy to remember and change when needed. Other than that, the drives worked without a hitch. Maybe five stars is too much of a glowing recommendation for just a drive, but having seen worse, this gets the bump.
on October 29, 2013
It arrived fast and is a nice product. It's very reassuring to have a secure USB. I had a SanDisk with vault but this Kingston replaced it as it so much more secure.
The cap on mine was a little loose and I lost it within a week. Kingston Customer Service immediately sent two replacement caps and securing cords promptly at no cost and which fit just great.
Highly recommended this Kingston product.

Anyone with lousy Customer Service (such as Ebay), should take note that Customer Service is sometimes, if not always, more important than the product sold. Luckily there are companies like Kingston still around who believe in it and provide it. Companies with bad Customer Service lose customers and eventually go under. Anyone who's been around for about 60 years knows this very well. Johnny come lately "computerize everything!" and put robotic people on the end of phones, types, please take note.
on January 6, 2015
A lot of corporations do not allow write access to cd or usb drives. This is to prevent data theft. At my company we are allowed to read from these devices and this is what I needed the drive for. I wanted to bring files from home to work for read only purposes. You can run the software on this usb drive without admin access but it tries to write something back to the usb drive when you do. Since I don’t have write access to the usb drive it fails and the drive does not mount.

If this is not a problem for you then this would be a good inexpensive choice. I had to go with the much more expensive Aegis security key since the encryption is hardware based and requires no writing to the drive for it to work.
on December 22, 2015
For keeping data safe, cannot be beat. Easy to use. Portable. Backup important files anytime.Take them with you or leave them in a drawer or someone else's house for safekeeping and don't worry about anyone else reading them. I have one in my safe, my daughter's house and in my office and back the files up regularly for safe keeping.
on February 18, 2012
I am overall pleased with this Flash drive. It seems to be of average speed and is just what I was looking for. Not long ago I lost a drive at a gas station digging my keys out my pocket. I realized it about 100 miles too late but fortunately nothing sensitive was lost. With this drive, I'll no longer have that concern. Though it is a little bulky, maybe that will help me to not lose it. :-) Anyway, the extra bulk does mean that I can't plug in two USB devices side by side because the size of this takes up some of the space that the other drive needs. That's the only negative for me and is something I can easily live with.
on January 3, 2013
I needed a solution for OSX in which I could easily transport all of my passwords around and feel safe in terms of keeping this info secure. Right out of the box this product worked without issue. The application it uses is stored on the device on a partition that cannot be deleted so I don't worry about messing it up. It's 256-bit encryption but I also use OSX's built in 256-bit encryption DMG format using a second password so there's no way my data can be compromised unless I reveal my passwords to someone.

I rate this product 5 stars because it is easy to use and works well with OSX.
on July 22, 2014
I have a couple of these, and they work very well; performance is good, you won't know you're encrypting. The newer models have an option for opening read-only, which is nice to have. The only problem is it needs 2 consecutive drive letters (in Windows). And i have at least one (Windows 7) computer that gets confused if i try to use 2 of these sticks at the same time.
on March 2, 2014
Been using it for a year. No issues very solid. I would recommend to anyone looking for a solid jump drive.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.