BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on October 17, 2012
Thank you Amazon for the very quick delivery.

I have been noticing that a lot of SSD vendors ship out their products in nothing more than a hard plastic shell, not Kingston. The Hyper 3k comes packaged with a nice box. The SSD and the 3.5" adapter and screws are held snugly in place by dense foam. As this is a bare drive, there are no software or sata cable provided. However, sata cables are cheap and software to clone your old drive to your new SSD can be downloaded for free from various software companies.

I'm sure you all are aware that SSDs are fast, really fast when compared to HDD. This Hyper 3k is no exception. To maximize the speed of this SSD make sure you run it in AHCI mode and not IDE mode. It is very comparable to my girlfriend's Samsung 830 speedwise. It is also built, in my opinion, a little sturdier than the Samsung. It seems a little heavier and the header where you plug in the power and sata is much, much better than the Samsung. With the Samsung when you try to disconnect the sata cable it almost feel as if the whole header will come off. The Samsung, however, has a much better toolbox called Samsung SSD Magician. The Samsung SSD Magician has features to optimize the OS, to do firmware update, to run benchmark, performance optimization, and secure erase. The Kingston SSD Toolbox, which must downloaded from Kingston website, only gives you Drive and Details. Details is useless, and Drive will tell you the model of your SSD and the firmware that came with your SSD. Kingston, you guys really need to give us a better toolbox. Visually, the toolbox looks like it was designed back in the 90's.

Firmware can not be updated via the Toolbox, you have to go to Kingston website and download it from there. Quite cumbersome. Also in order to update the firmware, you HAVE to be in AHCI mode. If you are in IDE mode, don't panic, there are quite a few tutorials on the web on how to change from IDE to AHCI by in the registry and reboot into bios to enable AHCI.

Good news for Windows 7 users, your SSD will be automatically be 4K aligned. What does that mean? It means you can clone or migrate your OS to the new SSD and not having to worried about doing the 4K alignment yourself.

For cloning my HDD to my Hyper 3k I used to programs, AOMEI partition Assistant 5.1 and Macrium Reflect 5. Both are free programs.
1. Install your SSD in the computer case but don't plug it in to the motherboard yet.

2. Uninstall any programs that you no longer used in your HDD, are haven't used in a long while, which means you are no longer using it:)

3. Defrag your HDD. What you are doing is trying to remove as much data as possible because the content that is left has to fit into
your new SSD.

4. Once it is smaller, launch AOMEI and shrink your drive. For example, you wean down the content of your 1TB drive to 150GB of data. Macrium Reflect will not be able to clone your drive because it still sees 1TB and will give you an error message that your source drive is bigger than you destination drive. With AOMEI you can shrink the PARTITION of you drive to 150GB. There is a tutorial on AOMEI's website. *you will have to reboot after AOMEI shrinks your partition*

5. After the reboot, power down your computer.

6. Plug your SSD to the motherboard with the sata cable and connect the sata power cable from your power supply to the SSD.

7. Turn on your computer and go disk management and initialize the unknown drive (your SSD). Once initialized, Windows will recognize your SSD and assigned a drive letter to it.

8. Launch Macrium reflect and click on clone my drive. It will show your HDD and SSD. All you have to do is drag the partitions down to the SSD. Most people will only have 2 partitions on the HDD.

9. Sit back, relax, this could take 30 minutes or more depending on how much data you have. I only had to clone 73GB so it took only 17 minutes.

10. After it's done, you will need to reboot.

11. Google how to enable AHCI mode and follow the steps (not long and complicated at all).

12. One more reboot and you are done.

Enjoy your new drive:)

Update 11/05/13: After 1 year of usage, this SSD is still as fast as the 1st day I installed it. It has proven to be very reliable. The Kingston HyperX 3K withstood 2 abrupt power failure and a lot, and I mean a lot, of writing cycles as I am constantly moving my steam games back and forth from SSD to my HDD. Toolbox still shows that my SSD's health is still 100%.

The Holiday season is here and if you are looking purchase a SSD for yourself or as a gift for someone else, I recommend that you consider this SSD (if the price is right).
1111 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2012
My drive which shipped on October 15th, 2012 came with revision 501 (501ABBF0) firmware on it, which has been out-of-date since June. At this time, the latest revision is 503 (503ABBF0) which was released in August.

I had some difficulty updating the firmware to Rev 503. The Kingston firmware update utility (found at Kingston.com > Support > Drivers/Downloads > Solid-State Drives > HyperX SSD -- SH103S3 > Firmware Update) would not recognize the drive.

As it turns out, it was either a conflict with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) software I had installed, or the Intel AHCI driver that installs with the Intel RST software. Once I uninstalled Intel RST, rebooted, and the generic AHCI driver was automatically installed in its place by Windows 7, the Kingston firmware update utility recognized the drive and successfully updated to revision 503.

Once the update was completed, the Kingston firmware update utility will recognize the drive with or without the Intel RST software and Intel AHCI driver installed. There must be an incompatibility with revision 501.

The Kingston firmware update utility will tell you your firmware revision number. Make sure to check it out first thing after you get your drive!
77 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2013
I installed the 120GB version of the HyperX SSD in an older Dell Vostro 400 desktop running 32 bit Windows 8 with a Core 2 Duo and 4 GB RAM.The SSD was a great upgrade at the time, speeding up the PC considerably over the previously installed WD 500 GB HDD. I would have given the HyperX SSD five stars, but it died without warning 7 months after purchase. Both the desktop and a Dell Inspirion 1525 laptop were unable to recognize the HyperX SSD. A drive of any kind dying in under a year's time is completely unacceptable. I do regular backups, so nothing was lost, but it was a huge headache.

The HyperX SSD is still under warranty. After contacting Kingston, forwarding on the serial number and my Amazon invoice as proof of ownership, an RMA was issued. I'm awaiting a replacement as I write this review. We'll see if my HyperX SSD was a one off lemon or if this is an ongoing issue.
on September 30, 2014
Really Disappointed.

I thought that Kingston will work better than other SSDs. I dont know what happened but the comp suddenly restarted and said no bootable hard drive found. I went to boot sector and the SSD was not even there. Tried plugging and unplugging and then the SSD appeared but now my comp will either hang or will get blue screen of death in about 5 mins, even if idle. Any type of SSD utility that I run to check its integrity actually fails to complete because the computer freezes. I hooked this SSD to another comp and run a SSD tool software that detected that there was some kind of fault in this SSD and then the SSD disappeared from the my computer altogether. I see multiple people with these complaints on forums, Kingston should have fixed this. All my data, my windows, my installed softwares are gone now. Thank you Kingston
on October 11, 2013
This drive is one of the best. It is very fast and very easy to install. Comes
with screws and mounting bracket for 3.5" to 2.5".
Highly recommended, and as usual hats off to Amazon and their fast and on time delivery. Item was very well
packaged.

It is now 10/13/2013 and as I went to remove the drive to put into a new built the sata connector just fell off the drive. No force of any kind. It does appear that this part may have been glued in the past or it got super hot.
Anyway another drive on it's way. Thanks to Amazon for their great warranty service.
I will still recommend this drive because I don't know if it was returned and just accidentally sent back out or if this is a Kingston problem which I really doubt.

10/27/2013
I went ahead and with time and patience soldered the connector back on the drive. As stated above this is a fantastic drive and I would highly recommend it. Just make sure you check the drive for loose or broken connectors when received. I didn't mess with the warranty because of all the data I have on this drive and needed it back immediately.

BM
on October 22, 2016
I've used this for both smartcache and as a boot drive. You haven't lived until you've used an SSD for a boot drive.

I used to turn on my computer, then wander off to make some coffee, do my laundry, swipe a few on Tinder, maybe catch up on some TV... now I make my coffee first, THEN hit the power, because by the time I've taken a sip and put my mug down, the login screen has been waiting on *my* pretty little ass.

Personally, I recommend using it as a boot drive; while I didn't run any actual benchmarks, SmartCache didn't seem to do much for me, and was kind of a pain to deal with when I did a transplant and tried to install Windows on a different SSD.
on December 4, 2012
I bought this ssd to use as an OS drive for my home build PC. It came with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter which is good, a lot of ssd's out right now do not include them. I had been planning on buying the 128GB Crucial M4 with the Marvell controller but this was one was on to good of a deal to pass up, 60 bucks. Cha-ching! This drive is comparable the M4, the M4's read speed is a little better but the write speed is a little better on the Kingston. Of course the actual stats are depend on the type of data that is the drive is reading/writing. Also, since it's being used as an OS drive and I'm not a robot I couldn't really tell the difference between the two drive's speed even if I wanted.

So far after two months of use I'd rate it a 5 star across the board, but I will make a note about the installation. When I installed the drive I ended up having to update the firmware on my ASUS P8P67_PRO motherboard. This isn't really a negative for this drive but rather the motherboard but it is an issue that others may encounter so I figured I should mention it.

One more thing, one concern I had about this drive compared to the Crucial M4 was the long term durability. As an OS drive this shouldn't be an issue but if you plan to use this drive in a way that will involve a lot of data writing I would pay the extra and get the M4 or even maybe the Plextor M5 Pro when it is finally released. Like I said though, this drive should be perfect for running Windows and a few programs. I keep most of my program installed on a 1.0TB conventional hard drive. I will update this review if I have any long term issues with this drive.

And in case anyone cares about this sort of thing I'll post my system specs:

MOBO: ASUS P8P67_PRO
CPU: 2500k intel i5
Heat Sink: Corsair Cooling Hydro-Series H60 Liquid CPU cooler
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Power: 750W Antec High Current Gamer
OS drive: Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB
HHD's: 750 GB Samsung 7200 RPM SATA 3, 1.0 TB Hitachi Deskstar
GPU: MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition 2 GB
Media Drive: LG Blu-ray writer
Case: Antec Lanboy Air (Yellow)
on May 18, 2013
I got this for a steal of a deal back before Thanksgiving and have been using it 7 months so far. I have had zero issues with it and from what I can tell...it's pretty fast!

Hard for me to really tell exactly how fast it is because I bought it and placed it in a 2 day old Core I7 Computer running a fresh Windows 8 install. Takes me no time to get to the login screen though. I hear nothing...I slow down never...thing moves along as is.

Also have a few of the cheaper Kingston drives...I have been very happy with the reliability and speed of each of my Kingston drives so far...but this one is in my baby...so I am extremely happy with it!

EDIT: I have had this for two years now and it is still going strong...I have never had a single issue with this in any way...best SSD I could have bought!!!

UPDATE #2: This thing is still killing it...not one blip at all! NONE of my Kingston SSD drives have ever had an issue and this drive is the one that takes the most punishment every day! After 4 1/2 years there may be better now in terms of speed...but you can't beat how this one just keeps running!
on August 1, 2014
Bought this in the hopes that other reviews were accurate. The teeth for the SATA connector were bent out of shape. When I called Kingston for assistance they informed me that since I ordered the item via Amazon, they would not be able to provided me with any warranty assistance. I promptly returned the item.
on August 25, 2014
I used this drive for storing documents, photos, ebooks, etc. In that respect it was write-one, read-many device, no heavy usage writing.

Worked great for a few months, then died catastrophically, taking all my data with it. After that, the drive was not even recognized in ANY of my computers (PC or Mac).

I will NEVER EVER buy another Kingston product. Sure, I can send it off for a refund (if they accept it) but I'll be damned if I send out a drive to a company with personal documents/tax returns on it.