Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 10, 2013
I purchased this card specifically for use in a Garmin Oregon handheld GPS. It is a class IV, so speed wise it is not a blazing fast performer, and is probably best for "static" data applications like storing MP3 music in a media player or cell phone, or maps in a GPS (which is what I bought it for). By "static", I mean applications where the device is mostly only reading data and not writing much. This card will also work well in smaller or older digital cameras of 12 megapixels or less, for still photography or VGA video (640 x 480). Class IV cards like this will almost certainly NOT work for high-def video.

As a camera card, I would only use Kingston or Transcend cards with caution. I have only experienced a few SD card failures in digital cameras since switching from film to digital in 2003, but both were from Kingston and Transcend cards. I have never had a Sandisk card give me any problems in a camera.
Using these lower priced cards for music or GPS mapping data is not going to pose a problem since you have (or should have) the data backed up on your main computer at home. If a card fails, just buy a new one (8 gb cards are dirt cheap) and re-write the data. But a failure of a card in a camera, say on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, is another matter - you don't want to take any risks with an economy priced memory card when the same sized Sandisk card is probably only a couple dollars more.

SUMMARY: A budget priced 8gb class 4 micro-SD card with an adapter, so you can use it in almost any device that takes either Micro or Regular SD cards. Works well for read-only applications like music or GPS mapping where you only write the data to the card once, but use with caution in digital cameras, especially for critical photography where a card failure would be a major calamity. This card is NOT SUITABLE for high def video (resolution more than 640 x 480 at 30 fps). The Amazon Frustration-free packaging is nice: much easier to open than a typical heat sealed blister pack.
on August 27, 2017
Kingston honors their warranty but I had to pay my own shipping on RMA - and it is hard to justify paying shipping on cheaper older cards. Sandisk on the other hand paid for RMA shipping when I went through that process with both brands recently. Ultimately a good product so I won't ding too bad on stars but can't give 5 when Sandisk wins the warranty/RMA war. I recommend Sandisk SD cards instead.
on April 15, 2016
UPDATE:

The batch of cards I received on January, 2016 have been experiencing issues. One card failed after 4 and a half months and was replaced. The next card failed in about two weeks. I replaced it with a fresh unused card, and it failed in three days.

[237493.729272] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.
[237493.729502] mmcblk0: error -110 transferring data, sector 122880, nr 8, cmd response 0x900, card status 0xc00
[237493.729664] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 122880
[237493.729687] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0p2, logical block 0, lost sync page write

Previously I had been using these cards without issue, and I don't think anything in my configuration has changed. Space utilization of the last card was about 47% when it failed after 3 days of use. I verified that there was not much data being written to the card, just a few log files when cron jobs and such ran. Nevertheless, I've taken the step of adding the following lines to /etc/fstab, to mount directories that are commonly written to by the linux OS as tmpfs. This was a suggestion I found on zdnet:

# add to /etc/fstab
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,nosuid,size=100m 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,nosuid,size=30m 0 0
tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime,nosuid,mode=0755,size=100m 0 0
tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults,noatime,nosuid,mode=0755,size=2m 0 0

This has eliminated the periodic writes due to log files and such. I will update this review if I see continued issues with these cards.

original review:

I am using these micro-SD cards for raspberry pi projects. The cards have been working fine. Each card comes with a micro-SD to SD adapter, which I really don't need anymore as I seem to have accumulated a pile of them from previous card purchases. I've had absolutely no problem with these cards. 8 GB is more than enough space for the typical raspberry pi. I've had the cards long enough to have them in constant operation in several pi projects for several months and there have been no errors
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 17, 2015
Purchased for the Emerson Action Cam that required a Class 4 - and Kingston hit the spot with economy. And I also like how Kingston always seems to include adaptors with all their memory cards, which seems to be a hit or miss with other brands.

Transfer speeds are naturally much slower, especially when dealing with Gigabytes, but reliable. That's the big thumbs up right there. :)

One last note: You will see TF marked quite often on all manner of devices, especially on Bluetooth Speakers. TF is the acronym of TransFlash, the original name of Secure Digital (SD) - one in the same. Now some TF labeled card slots usually want the large size... and thus why I always keep these included adaptors tucked away. They are merely shells and will work with ANY microSD card. So why I see a sale, I can just purchase them without worry if they come with adaptors or not.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 10, 2015
I bought 3 each of the 8GB and 16GB cards because I need inexpensive micro SD cards for an increasing number of devices. It used to be that I used SD cards only in cameras, but now I have phones, tablets, "spy" glasses, video recorder glasses, etc., all needing micro SD cards as memory.

I don't need to waste my expensive 32GB class 10 SD cards for these devices, class 4 cards work fine and cost much less. Each card comes wih an adapter.

I have used Kingston SD cards before without any problem and the 8GB cards are working fine.
on November 21, 2015
It works I bough this older class micro SD for an old GPS Garmin 60 Csx, the manual of the GPS says that it only takes up to 2 GB cards.
I was unable to find such small capacity Micro SD card, so I took the chance with this one 8GB only $3.81 including shipping.

Its working, I have no issues with the larger capacity, but I do not know how many of the 8GB its the Tracker actually reading (no information in the settings)
on February 13, 2014
The day before this flash memory card arrived in the mail, dark clouds covered my mind and life seemed bleak and gray. Only after I plugged the microSH card into my phone did I see beams of hope and sunlight break through the darkness. Since then, I've been completely and unfailingly happy. Everyone around me has become happier as a result. I got not just one raise at work, but three. Inspired by the SD card, I wrote a best selling romance novella in a language I don't even speak. I won the lotto, but felt so complete as a person that I gave the winning ticket to a stray dog, who immediately ate it and pooped out a rainbow. This is actually the last SD card that I will ever need as I have transcended all Earthly desires.

Of course, it works fantastically in my Galaxy S2. No issues as it simply holds the data I tell it to.
on July 22, 2014
Great product. As it is Kingston, I've always trusted in them. A lot of reading writing allowed, more than the rest of Flash memory card. I've had Kingston card for long, and they've have always worked like charm.
Update for this item: I've always purchased Kingston microSD cars for most of my applications and need. But, this is the first time I got a defective one. The one I received is not recognized by the system most of the times. Every time I insert it it asks me for formatting the device, otherwise, I'm not able to access it. So, there is no way I can copy my stuff from one microSD card to the new one in order to upgrade my cell phone storage capacity. So, product defective, unable to use it, but not only that, I needed it for today or tomorrow. BTW, I'm stucked with a useless microSD card, can't use it, can't transfer my files, can't upgrade my cell phone, can't install the needed apps on my cell I was required to by Monday.
on May 22, 2017
2 years later, after limited use (2 to 4 times a year) the card is throwing I/O errors, crashing and burning.

Second Kingston SD card I've had fail prematurely. The other was a 16GB Class 4 just like this one.

Junk.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I've used the Kingston 8 GB microSDHC Class 4 card in several devices in the past year, either by itself or in the SDHC adapter. It's performed flawlessly so far, and I'm very pleased with it. The card is formatted for the FAT32 file system, with 7.20 GB free. My only possible reservations about the card would be for applications that involve loads of data at high data transfer rates. For those uses, a Class 10 card might be preferred.

For my uses, the card has been superb.