Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kipor IG2000 2000-Watt Inverter Generator
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on November 21, 2006
I recently purchased this unit to power my side by side refrigerator/freezer a few lights, 50" plama and my satellite receiver in the event of a power outage. I currently have natural gas ventfree logs for heat and gas water heater so all I needed was TV, food and light- not necessarily in order of importance.

First, my refrigerator is a GE energy star pulling about 500 watts,my plasma pulls 550 watts along with several lights and it had no problem at all. I did some testing to see how it would handle my 1875 watt hair dryer which it did with ease. Then I added to the hair dryer one 500 watt shop light-no problem. Finally I added another 500 watt flood and still no problem need less to say I was very impressed.

I had studied carefully the following brands including Honda,Yamaha,Subaru and many others before finally settling on the Kipor. Kipor is relatively knew to the market and I had my own reservatons about the name. When comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, Kipor has the quality look and feel just like the Honda EU2000. It also is very quiet just like the Honda. If only I new it would last like the Honda. However,the Kipor comes with a 2 year warranty and with the $350 I saved I was willing to take a chance.
on April 25, 2008
Buyer Beware!

This thing works great at low altitude levels but beware once you get up above 4000 feet. I had one and tried to run it at just under 5000 feet and it died. You will need to purchase jets off the internet for about 22 bucks and that may solve your problem. I camp alot above 8000 feet so I just returned it.

At 1200 feet where I live it ran most things well. Including the microwave in my trailer. It would not run my 7 inch Craftsman skill saw if I pulled the trigger quick. It didn't like the start up. I would not recomend this unit for running larger power tools on it.

If you have the choice go with the Honda or Yamaha. It is worth the few extra bucks. This is my second China made generator and my last.
on July 5, 2008
I have a Kipor 2000 in a Red case it says American Power on the side, but it's a Kipor.

I bought it at PepBoys in town. I bought it to power 4- 300watt Lights on my boat to Flounder Gig at night. It ran very well, but had a small oil leak. I did buy the extended warranty, as this thing would be used around Saltwater. I don't usually buy extended warranties.

I called the importer in Ca. and they gave me the name of a local shop that would do the warranty work on it. I was familiar with this shop and they have a good reputation. They worked with the importer to get the parts, but the importer dropped the ball. Then they sent only the one seal and the repair shop wanted to replace ALL the seals.

I got it back and it leaked worse. :( The repair shop also told me they would NOT be doing any more warranty work for these people.

I said the heck with it and took it back to PepBoys and explained what I had done and that I wanted a new one, which they gave me.

While this was all going on a buddy of mine bought one also from Pep Boys. His is fine.

The new one I got is much harder to start. Lot's of pulling on the rope. :(
I have my brother looking at it now to see if he can fine tune it to start easier. He mess's with small engines and motorcycles all the time.

I'm not real thrilled. If I had to do it over it would be a Honda.
on March 18, 2008
I bought a Kipor portable generator 2000 watts. When it arrived it would not start. The cord rewind finally broke. I returned it to the seller and he shipped me another one. When it came it would not start. The seller suggested resetting the spark plug gap. It finally started but run rough. I did not use it for several months. When I tried to use it again it would not start. Finally after changing the spark plug it started but quit running. I have not been able to find the problem and it is out of warranty. I finally bought a honda with a 2 year warranty that works great.
on September 22, 2010
I have had this generator for about 3 months. I previously had an older Powermate Pulse 1750. The Kipor is better designed, lighter, runs longer on a tank, and is more powerful than the Powermate. The Powermate starts on the first 2-3 pulls. The Kipor, as previously reported sometimes takes many more, but always starts.

Recently I was camping at 10,000 feet, and the Kipor started everytime, but took sometimes 20 pulls. A fellow at the next campsite had a Honda 2000, and also took many pulls to get his started. The noise of the Kipor and the Honda seemed to be about the same, but hard to judge subjectively. Once started I had no issues, even at this high altitude.

I can run a small efficient A/C unit on my camper, which is why I bought it. My old A/C was 6000BTU and was rated about 7 amps running. The Kipor would barely start it. I replaced the A/C with a newer unit of 5500BTU and 4.5 amps running, and the Kipor would easily start the new A/C even when running in economy mode.

Overall, I happy with the Kipor.
on October 11, 2007
I own a Honda generator (not pure power) and the new and improved ig2000 sinewave (pure power) generator.....if you use any electronics at all, you will want to use something that is "pure" for fear that it may ruin that piece of equipment you cherish. The Kipor is a bit quieter than the Honda....the run time looks to be a bit longer than the Honda, the unit weight is lighter. The price is about 300.00 dollars less, but you get a lot for your money......two year warranty. It's a keeper.
on January 6, 2010
I just tried this little guy out. I hooked it up to my 5th wheel and it ran everthing except air as expected. It ran my circular saw and powered a 1500 watt heater runinng a noisy full throttle. In short, it ran every thing I had hoped it would, one at a time. Saved $$$, but not a Honda. A little louder than a honda, and must discover durability. So faar well pleased with purchase.
on October 25, 2015
This product was sold as new. Generator would not start and after examination found spark plug gap completely closed. Spark plug wire had been melted flat like it had been pressed up against something hot before assembly. Apparently this product had been used. Generator runs fine now.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2011
I have owned this generator since December 2009. When I first used it, it worked fine. Mostly used it outside during August 2010 to power a fan. One day in August, it stopped working so I took it back to the place I had bought it from. They had it in their shop for 6 months working with the Kipor people to figure out how to fix it. The Kipor people would send the wrong part etc etc. Then, I got it back. I used it once to operate a light that I bought that hooks on to it. It worked. A few weeks later, I went to use it again and it started but it gave no power. I took it back to the place I bought it from. After 6 weeks they tell me the inverter is bad. They are trying to get a replacement from Kipor but they are not sure if they will even get the part this year and it's only May. I think I got a lemon but I am thinking that Kipor only sells lemons because when I go back to the place I bought it, they always have several being worked on. I strongly suggest that you spend your money on something other than a Kipor.
on January 18, 2011
I have two of these units--I keep one in my motorhome so I can keep the batteries charged without having to start the large unit. Both of them start on the first or second pull and appear to be as quiet as the Honda units. They feel and look like quality units. I see more and more of these units while camping and have heard only great comments!