Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

• Customer Reviews

on January 4, 2015
Kirkland Signature is synonymous of good products and this Calcium 600mg+D3 is evidence of that. There are several persons here that gave this product low rates because is Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) and they wanted Calcium Citrate (Ca3(C6H5O7)2). Some say that the label showed is misleading even it says: “Compare to Caltrate 600mg+D3,” and we all know that Caltrate uses Calcium Carbonate. Really two good and known brands of Calcium (OsCal and Caltrate) use Calcium Carbonate. The Department of Lung Transplant of Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami prescribes Calcium Carbonate (OsCal) to their transplant patients. Calcium Citrate is better absorbed than Calcium Carbonate (improved bioavailability) and that’s an important difference, but Calcium Carbonate has twice the amount of elemental Calcium than Calcium Citrate. For example, 600mg of CaCO3 ~ 240mg elemental Ca (40%), and 600mg of Ca3(C6H5O7)2 ~ 120mg (21%) elemental Ca. You need more Calcium Citrate than Calcium Carbonate pills to ingest the same amount of Calcium. Calcium Carbonate requires extra stomach acid so that it can be dissolved and absorbed, i.e., you need to take it with food or a meal; while the Citrate in Calcium Citrate provides enough acid to do the same work and it isn’t necessary to take it with food. Calcium Carbonate may cause stomach discomfort such as gas or constipation, if that’s the case you need to increase water and fiber intake, but if this not help you should try another type of Calcium. Anyway, if you are looking for Calcium Citrate from Kirkland in Amazon you can find Kirkland Signature Calcium Citrate 500mg (500 Tablets) with vitamins D3 and B6, Magnesium, Zinc and others minerals (Highly Absorbable Calcium for Strong Bones) that is a very good choice. Calcium Carbonate is inexpensive and cheaper than other types, like Calcium Citrate (or Calcium Citrate Malate or Calcium Chelates, etc.), simply because it is a substance easy to find in nature. At the end, the type of Calcium you need depends of your individual metabolic type and different types of Calcium can be better for different people.
33 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised at the (relatively) small size of these tablets. They are still large in the general scheme of tablets, but I was afraid they would be the super-large horse pills. They are only as bit as my normal multi-vitamin, and I am quite able to swallow them.
on June 5, 2013
calcium carbonate is the cheapest form of calcium, and it is very constipating. I was constipated throughout my teenage years due taking it. Now, i take calcium citrate instead, which kirkland also makes. much better.

calcium carbonate is also not really bioavailable, meaning that your body doesn't absorb it well.
on January 1, 2011
I discovered my Vitamin D level was down to 5. Normal is 30-100 ng/mL. I started taking this in addition to Kirkland's Vitamin D3 (2000 i.u) daily. Two tablets each, daily. In three weeks my Vitamin D level was up to 18, and even higher now back to normal levels. Have been taking this for a year now.
on September 7, 2015
Finally, calcium without magnesium or zinc! This has been difficult to find, but I'm glad to have found it, as calcium and magnesium compete for the same absorption pathways. I take calcium mid-day, and I take magnesium (with zinc) at night before bed.
on August 9, 2010
Although I thought I had read the label carefully on the web site before purchasing, I learned this was calcium carbonate not calcium citrate when the package arrived. This means you have to take more of the tablets daily to get the required calcium. Will not reorder when these are gone.
33 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2016
I like the price and I need the calcium. The only problem is that the body cannot absorb more than 500 mg at a time so what is the point of selling this in amounts larger than that. I used to buy some 400 mg capsules, but they were more expensive in the long run than these and they were a powder in a capsule and if you've ever taken a calcium supplement in that form, you will know that you burp "smoke" (actually powder) shortly after taking it unless you drink a lot of water with the capsule. I could put up with that, but I wanted to save money, so I bought these in order to get the best price. Also, the container is too large to fit in the place where I keep my meds. Even though the size of the container and the amount of mg's were a negative aspect to these, I still gave them 4 stars because of the price. And the extra mg's aren't going to hurt me, they just won't be absorbed, so it's a waste. If I could buy this in 500 mg and 200 mg, I could take 2 of the 500 mg and 1 of the 200 mg (each at least 3 hours apart). Or if it came in 400 mg, I could take 3 doses (each at least 3 hours apart).
on January 24, 2012
I just checked the label again, and it no longer has sodium lauryl sulfate. So the below review is no longer valid:

We were pretty much shocked to see that it has sodium lauryl sulfate in it. This is an industrial chemical agent used in cleaning products. It is even controversial when it is used in toothpaste, and yet it is in Kirkland Calcium which is supposed be a health product. We bought it from Costco without looking at the label and will return it.
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2014
Very economical and the pills have a smooth texture that makes them easier to swallow. There is no chalky aftertaste either.
on November 7, 2013
It's great to have calcium and vitamin D in one pill since you need to take them together for the calcium to be effectively absorbed. The only down side to these is that I must take them with a meal (not an hour later), otherwise I get horrible nausea.