Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on January 13, 2012
I'm going to up the ante for the reviewer who wanted to give only Six Stars:-)

I really don't even know where to begin. I didn't read the reviews, just downloaded this because it was free and I thought the title was a wonderful play on words. Had no idea what I'd done when I opened it and started reading. Literally could not stop reading. Stayed up all night. Tried to put it down once to sleep, but couldn't. Only went to the bathroom once, although that's more info than you probably needed.

I've read thousands of books in my life; have an extensive library of everything from classics to fiction to history to autobiography; and I have never ever in my life read anything like this. It is chillingly brutal, but not graphically. It is frenetic, nonstop, full-on, in your face gritty realism with the most beautiful metaphors and witty plays on words; a head full of characters, each of whom you will love; and a prose that is astounding. When I have to stop and use the "dictionary" feature, that says something.

Even though I finished it, I'm having a hard time not opening it again today, just to go back and highlight some of the more astounding similes and metaphors; but then, I'd be highlighting every page. This is a phenomenal piece of work. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Bookworm would know what to say, exactly; but I can only try: This is a must read.
on January 9, 2015
Scott NIcholson is one of my favorite authors and this one had been on my TBR list for quite a while. Finally having the time, I grabbed this one up. The book description compares it to the Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books, of which I am a big fan, so I was expecting something dark, creepy and filled with the murders of a serial killer.

First of all, this is completely different than what I am used to reading from Nicholson. Yes, it was very dark and very creepy. I just thought that the story took a long time to develop. I understand that the author was giving us a full background of the main character, all the horrible things that went into his childhood and growing up years, the years of abuse, that went into making this man the killer he turned out to be. But being a thriller fan, I wanted more of the the serial killer on the hunt and to read about how the police would be on his trail. That really isn't what this book is about. This book is more about the inner struggle of a man with multiple personalities and what happens when one of these personality tries to take control of the others. There is a lot of reading of the arguing between the personalities in the main character's head, what he calls the Bone House. There is murder involved but it almost seems to be the secondary story. Yes, it is pretty interesting, but again, this isn't what I was expecting from the book description.

It was a good book but not what I expected. Scott Nicholson is a very good writer and I had no trouble finishing this book but it just wasn't what I was hoping for.
on June 29, 2012
The beginning of this book was great. I got pulled into the tragic story of this abused child who develops multiple personalities to help him get through tough times. When he reaches adulthood, however, the book loses all momentum and just drags on. You can't tell who is speaking, or if they're speaking out loud or just to each other inside his head. I get that Loverboy was supposed to be a sex-obsessed jerk, but it just came off as trying too hard. You'd think that once the Insider, an ancient evil entity, joins the crew, that things would pick up again, but sadly, it does not. There was also too much meta-writing that interrupted any flow I managed to find.

It took me a long time to finish this, and I only read to the end because of my weird guilt about not finishing books I've started. I'm going to have to work on that so I don't waste time on stuff like this when my To Read list is overflowing with potentially amazing books. I will say that I actually liked the writing itself and will read other books by this author. I just really could not get back into this story.
on December 29, 2011
This book is hard to put into a category..is it a mystery? Horror? Psychological thriller? It's a little of all of those things..and more...

Richard Coldiron is a man born of a bad childhood...An alcoholic and abusive father, a mother who's also battered but would rather that than be alone...the only way to cope is to make up an imaginary friend. Not unusual for a kid to do that, especially one that has that type of trauma to deal with...even those with 'normal' childhoods have had imaginary friends...it's when the imaginary friend that turns into a companion in your teen and adult years that it becomes a problem...then when you start adding more imaginary friends to deal with each and every situation you have in life...well, that's a problem on top of a problem..

Richard has the Bone House..the place he retreats to when something comes up he doesn't want to or can't deal with. The Bone House is also the home for his multiple friends...his head's a pretty crowded place.

I won't give up too much of the plot. I will say that this is a weird book. That's the best way I can think to describe it. This book is told in the first person through Richard's point of view. It is his 'autobiography' after all. 'The worst ever written..rejected 117 times'. That in itself makes it interesting. Seeing the protagonist struggle through daily life as he's trying to tell his story and have it published.

Is Richard a serial killer? Is he crazy? Is this all just 'revisionist' history? A great many questions are raised during the telling and frankly not a whole lot of them are answered. This isn't a book that will give you solid answers. But that's ok. It's written so well and at times it's just laugh out funny. Some of Richard's 'friends' are pretty hysterical.

Filled with dark themes, witty dialogue, puns galore that should at the very least get a chuckle out of you, this was a very entertaining book.
on January 2, 2011
Plot/Storyline: 4 Stars

I found this book to have a somewhat uncommon plot, even though there are many other books that have featured characters with Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). The difference was that this story was told with a kind of tongue-in-cheek humor. I did have to suspend a little disbelief as Richard, the main character, was not subjected to the type of abuse that usually leads to MPD. The author was aware of this and mentioned it once, implying that it was an anomoly. It was even more odd that Richard was fully aware of his other personalities, even though he thought of them more like imaginary friends. Toward the end, I think there was even a touch of schizophrenia breaking through, or maybe not if you prefer to believe in more supernatural things.

The first half of the book, which depicted Richard's childhood, was a fast paced roller coaster. The third quarter of the novel was drudgery, like walking thorugh a swamp. During the final quarter, the storyline really picked up and regained my interest.

I enjoyed the interval chapters where Richard's other personality took over. There were portions where I didn't know what was real and what wasn't. However, unlike dream sequences in some novels, it was not annoying here, perhaps because Richard's confusion mirrored my own.

Warning: There are hints of pedophilia and incest.

Characters: 4 1/2 Stars

Richard was a fully involved character who evoked plenty of empathy. While some portions of his thoughts were humorous, I never forgot that he was suffering from a mental disease. The author did a great job of portraying Richard as a child, albeit a rather warped one. As the story progressed, so did Richard's maturity level in a seamless transition.

Richard's mother was also pretty well developed. She brought out plenty of pity, but she also provoked a profound disgust, making her one of those character that I didn't know whether to feel sympathy for or just hate.

I would have liked to have known more about Richard's last girlfriend. She was almost peripheral to the story, yet she was important.

Writing Style: 5 Stars

Peppered with imaginitive metaphors, the narrative style of this novel really stands out. The sheer brilliance of the imagery was reason enough to keep reading this novel and go looking for more from Scott Nicholson.
on January 30, 2013
Author: Scott Nicholson
Published By: Haunted Computer Books
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Review:

"Kiss Me or Die" by Scott Nicholson was my first read by this author and all I can say is that it was some novel with the characters and that 'inner voice'in his head... but very dark...made this read. This author really has a style of writing that "Kiss Me or Die" was a novel with several different narrators often offering the to its reader many episodes ...all of these multiple personalities. From this read you will get 'his past, present and even the future mind of this serial killer.

This author will take you into the life of Richard Coldiron...who grew up in a abusive situation with not having a loving home all with his imaginary friends in the 'Bone House' and this is where the story really takes off. Now, this is the place where I say you must pick up the read "Kiss Me or Die" and read for yourself. And I don't want to forget Mr. Milktoast who was a true friend of Richard's from childhood, ...then there was Lover Boy....then... Little Hitler... and Bookworm OK, I will stop and just let you pick up "Kiss Me or Die" to see what this read is all about. And oh, my what a ending!

Please note that there are hints of pedophilia and incest in this read.

All I can say is the fact that this author can put this novel together as he did is a good sign of a storyteller that can keep the reader guessing until the end. If you are in for a psychological thriller with much 'demoinci force,' crazy, twisted, funny, creepy and sad ... then you are at the right place for a read you will not forget. Yes, I would recommend this as a excellent read...only leaving you to say wow that was some read not to be forgotten!
on March 22, 2015
I have read other books of a ghost or spirit possession theme by Scott Nicholson that I enjoyed. This story is very dark and leans into the realm of being inside the a psychotic mentally ill person. Personal preference, I did not enjoy this book, but that does not mean he is not a good writer.
on May 5, 2013
Hold on to your seats folks Scott has done it again. From the moment you pick up this book you have got to pay attention. It is well written, you can understand each and every character, and still you wonder if it is for real or is this guy a psyco? It will keep you guessing till the very end. I am glad I read it and I am sure you will be to. Kudos Scott.Kiss Me or Die
on December 1, 2013
I have read no other books by this author, so had no preconceived notions about what the book would be like. It was a (fictional) study in multiple personalities, told from Richard's point of view. The other "people" who inhabited Richard's mind did insert their viewpoints. I realize there are seriously ill people who have issues like the ones presented by Richard. That said, I had a hard time sticking with this story and learning how a serial killer "rationalizes" things in his/her mind. There was graphic sex and subtle violence. I personally do not like books of this nature. Nicholson does have a very good way with words but that doesn't make up for the awful parts of poor Richard's life.
on December 30, 2012
The best thing about being a reviewer is when you pick up a story that you haven't heard anything about and find something amazing, thought provoking, well written, beautifully crafted just sitting in your Kindle without fanfare or even mention of the gem within.

When I opened "Kiss Me or Die" by Scott Nicholson I had no expectations for it. Just something to while away a few hours while I waited for the pasta sauce to be ready for the meal I was planning. The meal I forgot to eat as I became immersed in the story. Any author who can make me forget to eat my favorite pasta dish is one I will be following without question.

Amazing book by a talented author.

Karen Bryant Doeirng