Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 180 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 214 reviews
on January 27, 2017
Book came as promised. These math books (Math Doesn't Suck, Kiss My Math, Hot X Algebra and Girls Get Curves) all by Danica McKellar are fabulous! My daughter is in pre-algebra, and she opened the book to right where she is in class (equations and inequalities) and Danica helped clarify things for her. I had lent my copy of this book (Kiss My Math) and didn't get it back, so I had to buy a replacement copy. I used these books in my college Algebra and Geometry classes (I'm studying to be an elementary school teacher) and Danica came through every time. She uses real life scenarios to explain how people would use math concepts in real life. You will not be disappointed in any of these books.
on October 9, 2016
Bought this for my wife. She is TERRIBLE with math. Luckily, Danica McKellar has these books! They are easy to understand and for all ages. Give this book a try if you math is not your subject and you need to pass the class! You won't be dissapointed.

PROS

-Chapters are fun to read (like a novel) rather than boring (like a textbook)
-Explanations are fluid, to the point, and fun. Easy to understand
-Small enough to carry in purse without expending too much room
-No disappointments. Books is perfect for all ages
on June 2, 2016
Seriously love Danica for writing this series! Every book she's done - from "Math Doesn't Suck" to "Kiss My Math" and "Math X" are all amazing. She is funny, connects with her young readers and has this amazing way of explaining math concepts in a way that it's impossible not to understand! For example, reducing numbers to their factors using the "birthday cake" method. I LOVE THAT.

Although it's written to appeal to girls, boys can learn from it too if they can overlook the references to boy crushes, makeup, etc.

Thank you, Danica!
on November 10, 2016
Bought this for my child who was getting frustrated with Khan Academy and needed a different explanation to certain pre-algebra principles. She breezed through the book in a matter of weeks and enjoyed the chatty magazine-style approach. McKeller includes stories from other girls and women about their math struggles and success and who ultimately came to love math. The only drawback, in my opinion, is that this can not be used as a stand-alone since each section has fewer than 10 workable problems. The online supplementary material is useful and directs users to additional help.
on October 22, 2015
I received the book in great condition (as described). I found this book extremely helpful and find myself referencing back to it often. It really puts the mathematical equations/information in a format that is really easy to follow and understand. A lot of real life situations are used for examples, so no more saying "when am I ever going to use this information", I know I have said this many times over my educational career. This is a great intro book or could also be used as a refresher if you are like me and have been out of math class for awhile. This book exceeded my expectations, I would definitely recommend this to both high school and college students.
on May 9, 2017
My daughter was able to connect with this book. She struggled with math at first and has improved to gain A's in this area. the book is more than just talking about math. The author Danica, tells her story and struggles in school with more than math, but about boys, and friends and middle school etc. Great book to buy for you daughter.
on November 4, 2013
This made math fun! I had previously read some of the reviews and was a little worried about some of the people who said that Ms. McKellar made math slightly sexual. WHAT! I don't get it at all. This and the next book were the most innocent books around and the most helpful! It was very helpful where I think my daughter will need it. She hasn't read the books yet but I did and I love them! If you as an adult need help understanding math for yourself or so you can help your child this is your answer. I never understood algebra, I always struggled. The only reason I made it through and passed was because I had a wonderful wonderful teacher. I was blessed. My daughter is not and so here we are. I say thank you so much to Ms. McKellar for making math both easy and fun!
on March 9, 2013
My daughter who is 13 and in the 8th grade has struggled with math and convinced herself that she couldn't do it even before she looked at the I assignment.... Needsless to say that caused many tearful math homework sessions for her (and me ). This book was introduced to us by a tutor and I decided to give it a try. We started chapter by chapter and she worked on the DO THE MATH and successfully completed each section - even concepts she previously had a a hard time with. We're getting there ....as we are almost finished with the book but her self confidence has improved so much - I am sooooooooo proud of her! I am so thankful that a book like this is out there to bring the facts to young girls!!!!! Thank you Danica, you're the BEST!!
on April 11, 2012
I bought this book as well as Math Doesnt suck, also by Danica, & I am getting ready to order Hot X Algebra. These books are written with girls in mind but dont let that deter you if you have boys. I have a 13 yr old son & a 19 yr old son, and these books have been a real asset. Speaking from an "I have also had a difficult time with math" place, when I decided to home school I was terrified. But these books have helped so very much. They explain math concepts in a way that make it easy even for a 30 something mom as well as teen boys. One of my children is developmentally delayed, & these books were appropriate and helpful for him. I recommend this book to everyone who asks.
on March 15, 2017
I highly recommend this book, I found that she is able to teach what is behind the concepts, so you have a better understanding, and her method is easy to understand. I use this for my daughter as a guide, whenever she gets stuck.