Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 414 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 544 reviews
on January 3, 2017
This is a rare play of nostalgia; it is simply beautiful!; well done with an impressive cast of accomplished artists like Diana Krall, and others. One of the songs tat brought back pleasant memories of my childhood was “Inch worm.” I never dreamed of hearing that beautiful song again—and so well done.

This album showcases a totally different side or talent of McCartney—soft, tender and, when required, direct and unforgiving as in “Get Yourself Another Fool.”
on June 14, 2012
It's interesting how divided McCartney fans and Beatles fans are about this album. Some don't like it because they want a new rock/pop album from Paul. Some don't like it because they hate standards. Some don't like it because they are apparently just noticing that Paul is 70 and doesn't have the voice he had at 20 or 30. So I was skeptical when I bought it and what a pleasant surprise. He sings beautifully -- soothingly, sometimes above his register. He's obviously experimenting vocally like he always does, only it's with his aged voice. And its the age in his voice that gives the material emotional heft. When he sings More I Cannot Wish You, it's as a father to a daughter. When he sings Get Yourself Another Fool, you know exactly who he's directing that too! My favorite is My Valentine (his new song for his new wife) and I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter. I also love Ac-cen-tu-ate the Pos-i-tive, especially the way he puts and "r' at the end of "Jonahr and the Whale, Noahr and the ark." His own original compositions on the album all sound like old standards and I can give no higher praise.
on April 24, 2017
This is one of my favorite albums! I am a huge McCartney fan. Someone sent this one to me for a gift, and I thought that Paul singing old 40's songs sounded weird. It is definitely NOT. This is very calming, soothing music. I just sent it to a friend recovering from surgery. Wonderful album!
on November 23, 2012
Why bother about what professional critics say? They never really listen! They are always in a hurry, they have tons of records to listen to - and it's just their job! So it's really impossible for them to get it right when it comes to such a feel-good easy-listening not-so-famous-standards album as "Kisses on the bottom". For this is really an album for people who listen to music for pleasure, when they get back from work, or when they invite some friends home, or when they are in the mood for love. It's an album for ordinary, no-bullshit, down-to-earth music lovers. An album for people who grew up listening to the Beatles, but who also fancied Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Ella's songbooks or the Getz-Gilberto album. They are the ones who will get it. For this is such a nice album! The songs are great, and sound fresh. The musicians are superb. Great acoustic bass, great jazz guitars, sweet drums, perfect orchestra - and the goddess Diana Krall herself on top of all that! Not to mention Eric Clapton playing beautiful guitar in two songs and Stevie Wonder embellishing the last song with his blessed harmonica. And it's Paul McCartney singing, for Christ sake! We love him - he filled our lives with so much beauty and feeling. He is familly, really. And it's so nice to have him aging so gracefully... His voice is not half of what it used to be - after all he just turned 70, but he is still natural, and in tune, and he swings, he is playful, he loves the songs. His two contributions as a composer, "My Valentine" and "Only our Hearts", fit really well in the album's selection. So don't hesitate. Buy it, listen and enjoy. The more you listen to it, the more it will grow in you. Music history may not change a bit, but I'm quite sure this album will make your life better, your ears grateful, and your heart warmer. Long live Sir Paul! May he die of very old age, still doing his best to honor his legend and our love for him.
LISTENING TO THIS ALBUM PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE:

This review is a copy of a reply to a comment I made to another comment within another review. The comment I responded to was to someone criticising and questioning why McCartney would make such an album and used the "relatively" commercially UNsuccessful Ringo Starr album Sentimental Journey as a comparison.

I don't think one can make a fair comparison of any singer/musician performing covers of "oldies" unless the songs they've recorded are the same.

From my own personal opinion about this album I initially found myself asking why did Paul do this. I'm 57 years old and have followed all the Beatles closely from the very beginning of their American launch on the Ed Sullivan Show. Like many of you who are reading this I am and always will be a "Beatle Maniac". We all, or at least should, know that McCartney and Lennon wrote 90+ percent of the Beatles Music and if one examines the songs that Paul primarily wrote as opposed to the ones that John penned, and also examines all the four Beatles separate careers and public personas I think one would deduce that Paul was/is the most sentimental of the Beatles WITH RESPECT TO HIS SONGWRITING. I am in no way suggesting that he was "deeper" than Lennon, Harrison, or Ringo; quite the contrary in fact. I think every one of them were and are incredibly complex and sensitive people and musicians and the legacy of all of their music they've left for us is a testament to that. The vast percentage of Ballads and love type songs the Beatles recorded though were written by Paul.

What we have here I think is simply a 70 year old man who's had a most incredible life and, as with many of us as we age we reflect on much of our lives and certainly our childhood. McCartney has very naturally done that and he is in the enviable position of being able to record an album of songs that meant something to him personally from his childhood. Some people write memoirs, some sing and/or compose music and songs to express and expose their lives. I don't think he cares if this album is a commercial success or not. Nor do I think he's one bit concerned about the reviews it will get. Let's face it, this man simply loves music and he loves playing and singing. If he didn't, he would have quit decades ago. If anyone has seen him perform live over the past ten years then you've walked away realizing you've seen an artist who just loves what he does.

I don't think this album is about whether or not Paul sings these songs well or not. To me, it's something that gives me additional insight into why and how this man wrote beautiful songs such as Yesterday and Michelle to just note the very tip of the iceberg of Paul's incredible opus.

Musician's like Paul McCartney are incredibly rare, having had a successful career spanning literally FIFTY YEARS, and are a gift to all of us who, as fans, have watched his career and public life evolve and in many cases affect our own lives on very deep levels. I don't think this album, and certainly not Paul himself, should receive any negative criticism whatsoever and I think that those who do critique it are missing the point and more importantly the whole picture. If you're not interested in listening to this music you don't have to buy it and if you've bought it you don't have to listen to it. But please, before criticizing any recording this man puts out at this stage of his life, think long and hard about the bigger picture (i.e., what this man has given to us) and at the very least, don't try to compare him to ANY other singer; former Beatle or otherwise.

I think it's safe to say that whatever Paul chooses to do musically is, and has been for a very long time, a labor of love. It's not about money or commercial success to him; of that I am highly confident. Whether or not these are the "greatest" recordings of these individual songs or not is not the point. Indeed, I should think that Paul himself would tell you they're not. They're songs that he loves and clearly, he's shown us he loves to sing. I think that's really all there is to this and intensely critiquing this effort is just wrong.

On November 8, 1975 I saw the legendary pianist Arthur Rubinstein perform two concertos with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Zubin Mehta. Afterward, he played six or seven solo encores. Not only is it unheard of to attend a concert and hear TWO piano concertos in one evening by the same pianist but at the time this took place Maestro Rubinstein was EIGHTY-EIGHT YEARS OLD. As is the case with any concert, classical or otherwise, there will be all kinds of people in the audience. Some of those people will be familiar with the music being performed, others will not, and a few will know it so well and have such well-trained ears, that they'll be able to pick out every missed or dropped note or mistake. Now Rubinstein dropped some notes here and there but I don't think anybody cared. That this man, who had been playing piano for people for seventy-five years or so was not criticized for his dropped notes or mistakes, nor should he have been. What Rubinstein gave to the world of music and to those who followed his career and life was nothing short of a blessing. To criticize him for doing something that less than 0.25% of the world population could come close to doing would simply be wrong.

Although McCartney's not a classical musician, I think the analogy is still a fair one to make. Paul's given us too much for too long; he has nothing to prove. The man is seventy years old and I think that at this point nothing even remotely negative should be said about what he records. Negative words and thoughts about his music or singing are best kept as thoughts. They ad nothing of value to anyone to be written in public reviews. There are very few entertainers in this world who by virtue of their tremendously great careers, simply shouldn't be criticized negatively; unless of course they turn out to be serial killers or something. IMHO Paul McCartney falls into that category. Don't like the music, don't buy or listen to it but regardless, before you consider yourself worthy of criticizing Paul's artistic output at this stage of his career and life I suggest you first compare your own life to his before you knock him.

I'm listening to the album right now and each and every song puts a smile on my face. I can tell, he had the time of his life producing this and the musicians accompanying him are superb!
on April 22, 2014
The choices McCartney made to sing these songs gives us a rare education in music. "My Valentine" is a much richer and more melancholy song than the American "My Funny Valentine". I know, I know they're not the same song just a similar title, but they're good to compare. The songs are both novelty, but "My Valentine" stands up to time, sad but not too sentimental, even for these days. McCartney's voice holds up well to the tune, and he sings in a key he usually doesn't which is good. Unfortunatly, I can't say that for all the tunes he's picks. It's difficult to listen to some, not so for others, but when you get a pop star, a BEATLE, whose catalogue is largely rock or soft rock and whose voice is strong and fluid it's difficult to make the transition into the Golden Years. Still, McCartney has songs to write and songs to sing, and they'll be a few more stunners added to the catalogue.
VINE VOICEon February 8, 2012
This album doesn't have the usual Paul McCartney sound. A big factor is that, though he sings the songs, he's not playing the music (other than a couple guitar parts). So, the whole album takes on a different tone, which I think is what McCartney was going for. It's a nostalgic record, even if so many of us aren't old enough to remember the times he's recalling. The closest album this can be compared to is Run Devil Run, his covers-heavy album that revisited rock's early years, but the fact that he's covering old songs is where the similarities end.

If I were to compare this to the album's Paul has made since Flaming Pie, I'd have to say this ranks at the bottom. That's a compliment to the other albums, though, and not an insult to this one. Judged on its own terms, this is quite a nice album. The songs are beautifully arranged, and McCartney remains an incredible singer. His original songs are the best part of the album, too, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer McCartney put out an album of original (preferably rock/pop) songs, with his regular band. I simply adore Memory Almost Full (as well as the other albums he's made since the mid-90s) and, according to the liner notes, this was a pretty low-impact album for him to make. Hopefully, the momentum of recording this will carry through to pushing Paul back to the studio for a new album of originals. For now, though, I'd call this a pleasant diversion and a nice little addition to the McCartney catalog.
on March 22, 2014
Seems like all pop stars these days who maintain any kind of following will do an album of standards at one point or another in their career. The best part about this collection is the fact that the time and effort was made to make sure the arrangements, the singer, and the collection of songs were the best fit for all three. This wasn't a rush job just to put out another album or to meet a contract obligation.
Each song reflects the distinctive and impressive ability that McCartney has always had of wrapping himself around a good lyric and a great piece of music.
Using Diana Krall's band was genius and it makes Kisses on the Bottom another Home Run hit out of the park for McCartney and company.
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2012
I saw the PBS special about the recording sessions and the concert performance afterwards. There are so many things to love about this album. The first is hearing McCartney outside his normal neighborhood. He seems relaxed, but musically and rhythmically he is absolutely on, a bit like Fred Astaire in that regard. I was surprised that McCartney's knowledge of songs from an older era. There aren't that many classics on the program: Berlin and Arlen are the only two A-listers represented. But the bench of wonderful American songwriters goes deep. The song I seem to have taken with me (and driven my wife crazy with) is "I'm Going to Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter," which during the Fifties used to send me up the wall as a relentless "hard-sell," faux-swinging song in cover after cover. McCartney delivers the best rendering of that song I've heard -- gently and genuinely swinging. Diana Krall, her musicians, and guests create a blue-velvet setting around the diamonds of McCartney's vocals. I realize that the production has an air of self-indulgence about it, but if you can't indulge McCartney, who, other than Tony Bennett and Bonnie Raitt, is worthy?
on March 21, 2012
I got hooked on the standards years ago listening to my mother's Nat King Cole and Rosemary Clooney records. I have an extensive collection of this sort of music. This is an enjoyable album with wonderful instrumental support. The people I have asked cannot, however, identify the singer on most of the songs. The person this collection brought to mind for me was Harry Nilsson. I have been a fan of his since the sixties. He also claimed to be influenced by these early songs. His delivery is not quite as bouncy as McCartney's but I think truer to the originals.

Obviously McCartney is aging and his voice is not as strong as it once was. However, these songs were often sung by "movie stars" with little vocal talent. My favorite collection is one done by Fred Astaire and he certainly didn't have a "perfect" voice. Rod Stewart is also not the most talented singer but a lot of these songs are about attitude, delivery and the wonderful music.

So, if you want a CD with top-notch vocal quality this one might not be for you. If you want a CD where you get to hear Paul McCartney sing the kind of songs you love with beautiful background music and arrangements you will be satisfied. I often judge music by my reaction when I first hear it. If it makes me close my eyes and just let it sink into me I'm satisfied. This collection does that. Well worth the ten bucks!