Truck Reviews Beauty Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 7, 2016
Oh how I love love LOVE this book. Like so many little ones, my daughter was having a really hard time adjusting to kindergarten. She would cry every day before she got on the bus. She would tell me constantly how much she missed being home. She seemed so sad and lost. I reached out to a friend whose daughter had gone though something similar a few years ago. She recommend this book. This book, above anything else we tried, helped my daughter adjust to going to school.

The book itself is so well written. It's full of kindness, empathy, compassion and understanding. Young Chester Raccoon is scared of going to school and doesn't want to go. His mother, who is full of wisdom, finds a way to let him know that she's always with him...even when they're apart.

Get ready for the tugging of the heartstrings! The first time my husband read this to our daughter, he came out of her room a little teary-eyed. He gave me the "why didn't you warn me??!"

We've read this book sooo many times. Any time my daughter is upset about anything (doesn't even have to be school related anymore) she wants to read this and snuggle.

This helped so so so much. If I could hug the author I would. We had sad mornings every day for the first several weeks of school. After reading this there was an immediate change. Thank you thank you Audrey Penn!!
review imagereview image
18 people found this helpful
on March 1, 2018
This book is the sweetest read. Ever.
I read a ridiculous amount of books to my little one. This one I will remember forever. I was looking for something to read to her before she started school. It would be her first time apart from me. This book speaks to the separation between a mother raccoon and her baby as he is about to leave her for the first time to go to school. She comes up with a way for him to feel her love when he’s missing her, by pressing his paw to his cheek... after she “kisses “ his hand. I must confess, my voice shakes every. Single. Time. I read the last couple lines of this book. You must buy it to see why. Bonus/ check out Pinterest for the cutest ideas to do with your little one that they will love to go with this book. I made missing hand cookies that were waiting at home when I picked my daughter up from her first day and we did several crafts that tied in beautifully with the story.
A beautiful book, one to save and pass on to the next generation !
2 people found this helpful
on July 6, 2016
This book was recommended to me by my daughters therapist. She had something happen to her that made her terrified of me not being with her at all times. This book has been a lifesaver! I need to find the book where it's the mom that leaves for work or whatever because this one is about a fear of going to school and the child leaving the mom for the day. Her fear is of me leaving so I think having both will help ease her mind even more! She is so in love with this book and she reads it to herself everyday as well as when I read it to her before I leave! Absolutely beautiful.
5 people found this helpful
on October 11, 2014
This is a wonderful book that I use every year with my PreK class. It gently tells the story of a young raccoon who is afraid to leave his mother and start school.
When we're done with the story, I have both the children and their grownups trace, cut out, and decorate their handprints on cardstock. We punch holes and attach yarn. The parents and kids kiss their handprints.
I then give them heart stickers, which we put in the middle of each handprint. The grownups can take their children's handprint home, and take them out whenever they miss their little ones. The children keep their grownup's handprints in school and when they get lonely they can wear the hand and feel their grownup's love close to their heart.
This really helps with separation anxiety - especially from the parent's point of view! :-)
6 people found this helpful
on February 14, 2016
I purchased this book for my newborn granddaughter. I used to read this book to my daughter, her mother, when she was a child. It is a wonderful story about a mother's love for her child when the child is afraid to begin a new chapter of his or her life without a parent being with them all the time. When the baby raccoon is afraid to start school, the mother raccoon tells him a story about how much she loves him and will always be with him. When he becomes afraid, all he has to do is open his hand and his mother's kiss will be in his palm. An easy and heartwarming story.
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 5, 2018
Super cute little book. We used this to help my son transition into a new daycare/preschool. The book talks about Chester the Racoon and being nervous to be apart for his mom. The mommy racoon starts a tradition of kissing the inside of his paw and tells Chester when they are apart to place his paw against his face and it will remind him of his mom and all the love she has for him.
The book is easy for a toddler to understand and has a sweet message. For the first few weeks of school every morning in the car I would kiss my sons hand and he would do the same to mine. Id tell him if he was ever missing mommy too much to put his hand to his face and he would think about how much I loved him and how I cant wait to give him a kiss after school.
He liked the raccoon in the book so much I bought him a Chester The Racoon stuffed animal that is now a favorite of his.
on August 6, 2016
I bought this book to read to my daughter as she was struggling with going to preschool. She was fine once she got in the building but had a terrible time getting her out of the car to go in. This book is so sweet and has been a favorite since we read it the first time. The kissing hand has now become a tradition with my youngest daughter and I, she is now able to read it to me (she's in 2nd grade now). I highly recommend this book to calm the first day jitters. ❤️❤️
2 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2018
We got this for our 2 year old who recently started early preschool who was having a rough time.
We also got llama llama misses mama, and Oh my baby little one.
We read them Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
On Monday morning we had no hysterics.
He seemed to enjoy oh my baby little one and llama llama slightly more than the kissing hand, the words are more rhythmic which he enjoys.
However I think for 3-5 year olds this one would be better.
We will enjoy the story regardless for years to come.
on December 6, 2017
One of my absolute favorite books. My son who is four has been asking me to read it every night since he was about two. We love Chester! The stickers are a good idea too. We put one on at the beginning of the preschool and school year and whenever we are having a hard time separating for the day. Cute reminder that the love is still there!
One person found this helpful
on April 14, 2017
This was a childhood favorite of mine. My mom used to read it every year before school, and we still do the kissing hand every once in a while. When I found out one of my high school friends was having a baby this book immediately came to mind. I ordered it right away and wrote a little note for him. This is such a special and comforting book I highly recommend it!
One person found this helpful