Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 136 reviews
on March 3, 2017
"the smoker" is a great story. I bought the book mainly for it. The other stories are a bonus
on June 10, 2001
I too read "The Smoker" (now a chapter of "Kissing in Manhattan") when it was published in the New Yorker last June. I loved the story on my first reading and it's merited several rereadings. The same is true of this book. It's is funny, sad, mysterious and touching. If you wish to read a book containing characters that will make you feel cozy and comfortable, this isn't for you. But if you want to read a book that will make you think a little more about both the dark and light sides that exist beneath everyone's facade, this is it.
on June 16, 2014
I was lucky enough to stumble across this title at a used bookstore, and it was so great that I ended up giving the book away and purchasing an e-book version of it. A collection of connected short stories, each character is a resident of the magical Preemption apartment building, where anything and everything can happen. This book explores a range of topics and emotions, including love, lust, desire, and mysticism. Most importantly, the entire collection is a twisted love letter to the weird and wonderful nooks and crannies of New York City, far from its shiny, tourist-friendly surface.
on May 6, 2013
Some have figured out that David Schickler is one of the most unique writers to publish in quite some time. He doesn’t spill out the same stuff we’ve been reading for the last thirty years, but something new and fresh. His work sometimes upsets readers, and that’s a sign he’s onto something.
Schickler’s writing is edgy and pushes the boundaries of everything we hold sacred, but in doing so he makes us think. He writes about people who live in society but don’t fit in, at least traditionally. He uncovers their quirks and what makes them likeable. Their faults and exposed, but somehow this makes them better, or at least more interesting.
If you’re a reader who is looking for something different read this author.
on January 25, 2013
From the first time I read "The Smoker," an excerpt from this fantastic little novel, I was hooked! The characters, stories, and plots really resonate with the way I perceive the world and who I am: an eccentric. Planning on writing a screenplay inspired by this little gem. I would say, if you just read a couple of pages and you don't like the stories, then the book is not for you. If, however, you are curious and are hooked from the way in which David Schickler's writing delivers such a direct and no-bulls***, straight-to-the-point narratives and dialogues in his stories, then congratulations: you have found yourself a gem!

If you like films like ROGER DODGER, SPREAD, AMERICAN PSYCHO, THANK YOU FOR SMOKING, CLOSER, then you will most likely enjoy this!
VINE VOICEon August 12, 2001
When I started David Schickler's "Kissing in Manahattan" I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I knew it was a collection of short stories which is usually not my thing anyway, and the first of the eleven tales I couldn't wrap my brain around. But from there it took off like a rocket, and I loved it. At first the stories seemed random with the only common thread being Manhattan, but as the book progressed the characters all began to resurface in subsequent stories.With this technique it reminded me slightly of David Mitchell's "Ghostwritten". Although this book is not nearly as dense. You don't have to be a New Yorker to appreciate the sexy and near absurdist portrait he creates with his colorful characters inhabiting an almost fairy tale city. It also wonderfully captures the enormous isolation that prevades a place that is teeming with wall to wall people day and night. A quick read at under three hundred pages it should make a smart movie, the right having been bought by Scott Rudin.
on April 2, 2013
The stories in "Kissing in Manhattan" are rich and varied. "Jacob's Bath" was probably the best story in the
book~ I was very moved by the beautiful ending. "Fourth Angry Mouse" was so funny ~ I laughed out loud!
The other stories were interesting~ there were parts of them I loved. I think this author creates more interesting
and complex male characters~ his females were often so much alike. I enjoyed the links between characters & stories.
Imaginative, original style! I do recommend this one!
on April 20, 2017
Loved the story lines
on July 30, 2016
good writing, but plot fizzles out a little in the end.
on November 25, 2001
of characters. i purchased this book after reading the short story entitled "The Smoker" in the 2001 O. Henry Awards. I found the characters bizarrely charming and being a new yorker i could relate to parts of the tales and character lives. I agree there is some fragmentation from story to story. The characters overlap some stories, but not all, and in some instances they are mostly character wallpaper. But I enjoyed this book very much and would recommend it to anyone looking for something fresh and quick to read. (I finished the whole book on a bi-coastal flight).