Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

88%
12%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 16 reviews
on September 13, 2014
I formally became a Baha'i as a teenager in 1973. In my more than forty years as a member of the Baha'i Faith, I have read `The Kitab-i-Iqan: The Book of Certitude' more than a dozen times. It has been the theological foundation and textual wellspring of my spiritual life.

I've read several of the world's Holy Books from cover to cover: the Bible, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Dhammapada, the Gathas, the Tao Te Ching; I've read portions of the Qur'an (which I hope to read the whole of in the relatively near future). I've also read multiple times the whole of the Baha'i sacred texts that have been translated into English. But the one book that stands as the most important book in my life has remained the Kitab-i-Iqan. This is because it is the most spiritually penetrating and illuminating book that I have ever had the privilege to read.

The Kitab-i-Iqan, like all truly sacred texts, is a product of Divine Revelation. Baha'u'llah, the Prophet-Founder of the Baha'i Faith, revealed all 290 paragraphs of this work in two days; this is an astounding feat for anyone, but Baha'u'llah is reported to have done so without forethought, planning, or reflection; the text flowed out of Him by means of the spirit of revelation.

He revealed the Kitab-i-Iqan in answer to questions posed by a Muslim man, and so it is replete with quotes from the Qur'an and Hadith; it also spends quite a number of pages explaining the meaning of Matthew 24:29-31. The book is designed as an explanation of the true nature of religion, of revelation, and of the nature of the Prophet or Manifestation of God; and above all, Baha'u'llah alludes to the profound transcendence of God, the Unknowable Essence, which can only be known by means of the infinite attributes which come from God; and God can best be known as He is revealed in the person of the Manifestations of God, which include Krishna, Abraham, Moses, Zoroaster, the Buddha, Jesus Christ, Muhammad ... and most recently Baha'u'llah.

One of the greatest lessons that I have learned from studying the Kitab-i-Iqan is that, though we can understand most of the verses of the world's Scriptures literally, all of the verses have a metaphorical aspect. In fact, the metaphorical component of sacred texts is the most important: that, by ignoring this aspect of sacred verses, we cut ourselves off from the greatest part of Divine Guidance.

Arguably the greatest malady afflicting humanity today is materialism. It has infected all aspects of our lives, including our religious thinking; this is especially evidenced by the fact that most religious leaders insist on interpreting their sacred texts literally, and many insist that to do otherwise is to be guilty of heresy, even blasphemy. This mindset is the wellspring of the satanic spirit that has given rise to the religious intolerance that we today see growing to such monstrous proportions in many places in the world; it is the hellish mainspring of that strain of fundamentalism that drives some to perpetrate those gross acts of brutality and savagery in the name of religion that have become so prominent these days, and which increasingly turn more and more people away from religion.

In the Kitab-i-Iqan Baha'u'llah has provided the medicine that will cure humanity of these afflictive mindsets, but only if we ponder and reflect on His counsels. There's no better place to seek the answers we need than in the Kitab-i-Iqan.
on June 29, 2017
Everyone should read Baha'u'llah.
on May 25, 2004
That this 19th century man could have written such a masterpiece is nothing short of a miracle. In page after page, Baha'u'llah (the author) reveals where man has gone wrong in understanding God and His purpose.
If you are looking for confirmation of what you already believe, this is not the book for you. Read the book of certitude only if you are ready to forget everything you have ever known about God and His religion. Read this if you are searching for the truth.
I read wide-eyed late into the night, unable to put down the book. Eloquently the words flow like the notes in a symphony, resonating with my heart, shaking off a life-time of error and misinterpretation, and leaving me stunned and numb.
No wonder he was banished and imprisoned. Every paragraph is another nail on the coffin of old and dogmatic religious belief.
Expect to hear a lot of negative reviews from the religious organizations, but for God's sake read it for yourself.
on March 10, 2009
This work answers many interfaith questions, particularly validating and supporting the differences between the older faiths, and providing a framework for understanding why those differences exist.

The review of progressive spiritual / cultural change, set into context, provide a strong foundation for understanding other religions.
on August 22, 2014
A tablet from Baha'u'llah's pen that is unmatched in Religious History. It explains fully how all religions are united under the One God. A must read to all people wanting to know the Truth of All Religions
on January 14, 2015
on January 22, 2012
The author claims to be the latest in a long line of prophets or "manifestations" and also claims to teach very much the same thing previous "manifestations" have. For the record, according to the author and the advocates of this faith a "Manifestation" is basically a major religious figure such as Buddha, Moses, Muhammad, Jesus and others that they claim have been sent by God to proclaim His message. The only difference between them is that they were sent at different times. To insist that Jesus Christ is no greater or better than any other major religious figure is something no knowledgeable and confessing Christian could ever agree with. I shall endeavor to show in what limited space I have here that he has no Patristic authority for much if any of what he writes in this book.

For someone claiming to be in the line of "manifestations" that supposedly includes Jesus Christ the author doesn't know his Bible very well. On page 137 the author states that when Abel and Cain offered a sacrifice that they were able to call down fire from Heaven to consume their offering. Contrary to what the author would have us believe the Bible does not mention such an event ever occurring. The author may be confused because in 1 Kings Chapter 18 we read that the prophet Elijah was able to call down fire to consume the sacrifice that he offered and this occurred quite some time after Cain and Abel's time.

The author calls himself "Baha'u'llah" meaning "the glory of God". It is not possible for him to be so because Isaiah 42:8 reads: "I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images." Here we are expressly told that God will not give His glory to another. So why does this person make the claim that he is?

On page 156 the author wrote: "It hath been demonstrated and definitely established, through clear evidences, that by `Resurrection' is meant the rise of the Manifestation of God to proclaim His Cause..."

And is there any Patristic authority whatsoever for the author's definition of the Resurrection? No. But what is the Bible's definition or meaning of the word "Resurrection?" The answer to this can be readily ascertained by reading the following:

When the women found the tomb empty and were on their way to tell the others that Jesus Christ had risen, "And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, `All hail.' And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him." (Matthew 28:9). If Jesus Christ wasn't in bodily form after the Resurrection then how were the women able to hold him by the feet?

Luke 24:39, "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." Jesus Christ here shows His disciples the wounds in His hands and His feet that were made as a result of the crucifixion clearly demonstrating that His resurrection is a very literal one. If it was a spiritual one it would have taken another form than the one it has. Remember, He's showing them His physical body.

The apostle Thomas himself refused to believe that the resurrection was literal until he had seen the result with his own eyes. "But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said unto him, `We have seen the Lord.' But he said unto them, `Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.' And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, `Peace be unto you.' Then saith he to Thomas, `Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.' And Thomas answered and said unto him, `My Lord and my God.' Jesus saith unto him, `Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.'" (John 20:24-29). How can this be other than a literal resurrection if Jesus Christ is able to show someone the nail prints in His hands and the place where the spear pierced His side?

Acts 2:31, "He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption." The writer of Acts states that the body of Jesus Christ did not decompose as it most surely would have had it remained in the tomb.

Acts 13:35-37, "Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, `Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption: But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.'" Here the writer of Acts is telling us that the body of David was buried and suffered decomposition. Not so with the body of Jesus! Had the body of Jesus Christ decomposed the writer of Acts would have written about it as he did with David. The writer tells us that the reason it did not is that the resurrection of Jesus Christ was a physical and bodily resurrection. The writer leaves us with no other possibility. So what we have here is that the biblical example of the Resurrection and the author's definition of "Resurrection" are dead opposites.

What I wanted to show here is that the author is not who he claims to be and is just one of many false prophets that have plagued, and continue to plague, mankind.
66 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse