Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar Paperback – January 27, 2004
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From Publishers Weekly
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top Customer Reviews
If you consider yourself in love with Nicholas II's family, you'll probably very much enjoy it. If you like historical fantasy, you may enjoy it. If you are wedded to reality at all costs, you will probably be bothered.
The author often is lengthy in his writing and provides the reader with a rich feel for Russian culture and history. But the first three quarters of the book go very slow. It took me about ten days to read this first part, and only one night to read the last quarter of the book. This last part of the book is excellent with some unexpected plot twists that postponed my bedtime. I recommend the book, but stick through the slow first part, the ending is worth it.
Robert Alexander has obviously spent extensive research into this period, uncovering documents of significance and achieving bits of detective work in a quest to explain the still unresolved questions about the July 18th slaying of the Romanov family. To our good fortune Alexander has elected to transform all of his research into one of the more fascinating of the many novels about those perilous times, and in doing so he has created a concise, immensely readable, short novel that breathes new life into Russian history.
Told through the eyes of Leonka the Kitchen Boy, who was 14 years old (the same age as the Heir apparent Aleksei) and observed the night of the slaughter of Nicholas and Alexandra and their five children and few servants, THE KITCHEN BOY is a fresh look at an important event and its sequelae.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This book was very well written and a very interesting perspective. To take something real and tangible and create a fiction that reads so easily as non fiction is amazing. Read morePublished 3 days ago by Amanda Faux
Insightful and gripping. One of the best books I have read on this topic. I couldn't put it down!Published 16 days ago by sargent
It started off slow but was riveting. The twist at the end caught me off guard. It was very a good read.Published 1 month ago by eifleli
Very interesting, thought provoking. Excellent historical detail.Published 2 months ago by Weeziemw
A quick read but some interesting speculation on the end of the Russian royal familyPublished 2 months ago by Mary M.
It's about 75% accurate You must suspend logic for the other 25%
It is definitely historical fiction.