Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 13, 2017
Melissa Clark gives even thrice-familiar dishes a new sheen and new levels of succulence. If you're serious about creating terrific meals, do NOT pass this book by.
on June 25, 2017
Another excellent cookbook. She give great directions & lots of tips with every recipe & I haven't had a bad meal yet!
on July 19, 2016
I'd recommend this to anyone. It's a fun read by itself as each recipe comes with a back story and I've incorporated many of her delicious(!) and not-complicated recipes into our monthly rotation. The fish stew with lemongrass and basil! Grilled chicken with spicy cashew sauce. My current favorite cookbook.
on May 19, 2016
Typical Melissa Clark- fun and funny plus food!!!! an enjoyable read on every page!
on July 8, 2015
This is my go-to cookbook for everyday cooking. The recipes are both practical and accessible. They also have a certain comforting appeal to them, while still being unique and unexpected (Garlic and Thyme-Roasted Chicken with Crispy Drippings Croutons for example). The book is divided into 12 chapters with each chapter having a clever title. For example, the chapter on chicken is titled "It Tastes Like Chicken" and the chapter on meat is titled "I Was Never a Vegetarian." But the bottom line is there are ten somewhat unconventional categories: breakfast-y items, vegetables, fish, chicken, meat, cheese, sandwiches, fried foods, holiday foods, pies, and beverages. Each chapter has about ten recipes and there is a narrative before each recipe that is both entertaining and informative. A number of recipes are also followed with variations. So for example, the recipe for Roasted Chicken Thighs with Green Peaches, Basil, and Ginger is followed by several variations using slightly different ingredients, such as apples, gin, and coriander seeds instead of peaches, basil and ginger.

I have tried a number of recipes in this book to great success. The garlic sesame-cured broccoli salad is surprisingly good, the shrimp for a small kitchen is amazing, the roasted shrimp and broccoli is wonderfully flavorful and healthy, the spicy garlicky cashew chicken is delicious (also stuff the cashew mixture into zucchini-- it is a knockout), the roasted chicken thighs with green peaches was a winner for my partner even though he is normally not a fan of peaches, and the sausages with sweet pepper and onion stew is my partner's all-time favorite dish. Not only have I made all these recipes more than once, but there are still a ton of recipes that I'm dying to try.

A few caveats people should be aware of. First there are no pictures. This is completely fine with me, but I know there are some people who feel strongly about their cookbooks having pictures. Second, it seems like a lot of the recipes in the book are available online at the NYT where Ms. Clark is a food writer. This is also is not a problem for me because I enjoy her recipes so much that I'm happy to have paid to have them all in one place. But if you aren't sure about the book, you could consider trying a few of her online recipes to see if it is worth the investment for you. And finally, there are a wide range of recipes here. Some are healthy, some are not. Some are vegetarian, some are not. If you are looking for a book on a particular type of cooking, you will probably find some thing that will interest you, but other parts of the book may not work for you.

Overall this is one of the best cookbooks I own. I go to it regularly when I'm looking for an accessible recipe to make on a weeknight. I also usually make these recipes more than once, which is not something I normally do (there are just too many interesting recipes out there for me to make something more than once!). So the bottom line is that this is a real winner in my book.
on May 20, 2015
Love this cookbook! I've made about 15 of the recipes, and they've all been excellent. While a knowledge of basic cooking is essential (of course), few of the recipes are particularly time or labor intensive, and some are downright easy. And the ingredients can be found at any local grocery. And yet, given the ease of cooking and the standard ingredients, Clark's recipes are delicious. She is an artist, excelling at combining flavors and textures, so that each dish is far more than the sum of its parts. I highly recommend this book!

I would point out one thing. This isn't a criticism of the book, but simply a caution. It seems these days that people want a cookbook with a specific eating theme- vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, low-carb, low-fat, vegan, comfort food, BBQ, desserts, etc. This book doesn't fall into any category. It contains a wide range of recipe types, something for everyone, but not a lot of any one kind. I love that about the book. Something to fit my every taste and mood.
on March 3, 2015
Good product
on November 19, 2014
The red lentil soup itself is worth the price of this book.
on October 29, 2014
Gift-fun book-thanks for fast ship-great price YAY
on September 7, 2014
Changing it up in the kitchen. Good tips and good recipes.