Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KitchenAid Gourmet Aluminum Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set, Red
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In recent years, I've upgraded my cheap old pots and pans to really good KitchenAid cookware. I started by buying the KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials Hard Anodized Nonstick 12-Piece Cookware Set about two years ago and was pretty happy with them, although they weren't perfect.

I was impressed enough with that older set that I didn't even think twice when offered the KitchenAid Gourmet Porcelain Enamel Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set in red for review - I simply accepted the offer. I was interested to see if they improved on my old set and honestly, I was happy to have another set of really good cookware.

This new set met almost all of my expectations. Unfortunately, KitchenAid has not improved their technology in a way that allows them to completely satisfy me. Like my old set, these new pots and pans can't be put in the dishwasher without voiding the warranty. This is the only reason I am not giving them five stars. If they could be put in the dishwasher, they'd be perfect.

That said, they wash really easily by hand and this method is just fine most of the time. I simply think that the dishwasher does the best job in sterilizing dishes and prefer it whenever possible. For those who usually wash pots and pans by hand anyway, this is likely not an issue at all.

With the bad news out of the way, I'll move on to the positive points, which are numerous. Like my other KitchenAid cookware, this set cooks really well. Using my electric stove, the heat is distributed very well and everything I've tried cooks evenly. The glass lids are fantastic, allowing you to check the progress of your dish without the need to remove the lid and allow heat to escape.

Both the lids and the pans have kind of a rubbery-type grip that stays cool so you can touch them while cooking with bare hands.

The 10-piece set offers a good variety of sizes that come in handy no matter what you need to cook. My only wish here is that it had an 8-quart stockpot instead of a 6-quart stockpot. Of course, the 6-quart stockpot is useful for a lot of things too, but I like to freeze homemade chili, spaghetti sauce, chicken stock and more, so a larger pot is extremely useful when cooking for such a purpose.

Now for the purely superficial pro: these pots and pans are just beautiful. I have always admired cookware with enamel coating outside and I am particularly drawn to red for this. My one fear was that the enamel might be easy to scratch and not last but after using this set, I think the KitchenAid set will stay just as pretty as it did when I took it out of the box for a good long time.
VINE VOICEon May 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had these for four months and here are the things I like about them:

1. They heat really fast.
2. The lids are nice; you can see your food without taking the lid off.
3. I like the color. I know other people didn't but I thought it was nice.
4. My favorite is the 3 Quart covered saute. I use that nearly everyday and wish my other pans were like this.

Things I am ambivalent about:

1. There's no steam hole in the lids. The steam escapes from the rim instead and can sometimes make the lid dance up and down.

Things I don't like:

1. The handles have little silicone comfort grips but the comfort grip doesn't entirely cover the handle, there's a little sliver of metal on each side of the grips which gets really hot. I notice this especially on the lids.
2. These pans are not dishwasher safe. To be fair, many similar brands, such as Calphalon, are also not dishwasher safe. The only ones I found that could go in the dishwasher are Circulon pans and they're much heavier and often more expensive.
3. After only four months of using them, there are scratches at the bottoms of my pans. Granted, I use them A LOT but I only use non-stick safe cooking utensils. Apparently my food is abrasive?

Things I observed:

I followed the directions and only hand washed my skillets and saute pan. It's very easy since food comes right off the enamel exterior and the non-stick interior makes cleaning a breeze. But with the small sauce pans, I just throw them in the dishwasher. I also throw the lids in the dishwasher too. So far, I haven't noticed much difference between the hand washed and the machine washed.
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very solid set of pans and I'm enjoying using them, especially the fryers. I do have other non-stick pans and unfortunately this set does not quite rank up there with my other pans. For example, cleaning up after cooking scrambled eggs in these pans is not an easy "wipe and done" process. In fact, the pan handles are secured by bolts on the inside of the pans and the food gets stuck underneath the bolts and cleaning them is not all that easy. The construction, however, is solid and the beautiful red color makes this a very attractive set that I believe will last for a long time.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When one thinks of KitchenAid, the first thing that pops to mind is the line of those professional and commercial stand mixers, such as the KitchenAid Professional 5.5 QT Commercial Style Stand Mixer that are known for their power, performance and long term durability.

This KitchenAid Gourmet Porcelain Enamel Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set in red is a far cry from what one might imagine when one hears "I enjoy using KitchenAid appliances in my kitchen," but from a number of months of use, the quality appears to be there. This cookware set includes most of the basic pots and pans that one would expect in a kitchen for daily use.

The Set:

There are 1 and 2 quart saucepans for making so many basic items of for cooking a few bowls of hot cereal in the morning. The 6 quart covered stockpot is perfect for boiling pasta of all types, making soups or stew or anything else where you see the term "stockpot" showing up in a recipe. The 3 quart covered saute pan is wide and straight-sided, and can perform a great number of the functions of a skillet, but it has deep sides for extra capacity. This one is ideal for those one-dish meals, and it's now a favorite for simmering chili.

But it's the two skillets in this set, both the 8-1/2-inch and 10-inch, that really get the use. The larger one is great for quesadilla, cooking eggs, frying bacon, or making such things as a simple grilled cheese sandwich. Just remember to use wood or nylon spatula/turner in the skillets to eliminate as much scratching as possible.

Other details:

The glass tops are nice for watching the progress of the foods being cooked without having to constantly lift lids every few minutes. The handles are interesting in that they're made of both soft silicone for easy and safe handling, and stainless steel for the main part.

Cleaning:

It's suggested that these pieces not be put into a dishwasher or else it might void the warranty. Will admit that I've occasionally washed them this way, but only after carefully insuring that neither the non-stick interiors or porcelain come in contact with anything else. I don't suggest or recommend this, but have heard that it's the banging into each other when a dishwasher is sloppily or improperly loaded that causes the problem, and so far so good. Other than that, they generally clean well, both interior and exterior, when washed with standard liquid dish soap and a sponge.

Summary:

This is an good set and and a great buy for anyone wishing to replace some older pots and pans with something not only a bit more contemporary, but to add a bit of color to a kitchen, as this is also quite an attractive and eye-catching set. It's a 5-star choice for this fumbling amateur gourmet cook who thinks that Anthony Bourdain: A Cook's Tour is where to get creative food tips.

So who says one cannot have a bit of fun in the process while adding other red items, such as this Kuhn Rikon 4-Inch Nonstick Colori Paring Knife? And yes, I got it...

UPDATED/Revised February 17, 2012:

At the request of a personal friend who saw this review and privately questioned the use of a dishwasher when cleaning these (and other) non-stick pans, I've added some info to the comments and here. Will continue to do so if/when it's necessary... and thanks for reading this.
review image
on August 28, 2012
Looses two stars for the following:

1) Even when only half-full, the condensation in the lid begins to spit around the pot and make a mess on only a LOW boil. I've seldom had this happen with previous cookware and it's a mess to clean up.

2) The handles on the lid get too hot because of the metal and you will need a pothold to pick lids off. I find this a little inconvenient when cooking on a stove top.

3) The large pot's handles get too hot, even when it's less than half full, and I needed pot holders to hang on to it while stirring. Very inconvenient.

4) The red plastic under the handles started coming loose after awhile on one of the frying pans that was used more often.

Otherwise, they cook evenly and look very attractive, but they have poor design for handling.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a the Kitchen Aid stand mixer that has never let me down. I've made so many things with it, it wouldn't be my kitchen without it. In that, Kitchen Aid has my loyalty.

That loyalty was tested when my experience years ago with some KA non-stick pans were just, well, bad. This set is a redeemer for them. I'm not crazy for the red, but hey, I'm not going to ding a star for that.

The pans are thicker and heavier and the non-stick seems to be of a better quality than some Calphalon pans I have, but that's hardly scientific. I waited and used these a lot before I wrote a review as you can't just look at a pan or use is a few times and judge it fairly.

They feel like quality, the pans have a good heft, the same with the glass lids too. The handles are comfortable and have a nice rubber grip, a nice touch to be sure. The heating in the pan is nice and even on my gas stove and I believe that I really do like these pans, despite the red color. I do take care of non-stick pans, both in cooking and cleaning, so that will be a must if you are looking to have them last as long as possible. I have had no trouble keeping these like new, after daily use over the as no scratches, but I wash by hand and hang the pans. I also use no metal utensils in the pans at all.

If you push me to say something negative, the best I can say is that the handles get a *little* hot and the 1 QT pan tips on it's side easily due to it's sturdy handle. Neither of these are anything at all that should dissuade you from considering this set, especially for the money. I think this a very good set that offers a lot of value for the money. I like these so much, I even learned to like the color as well.

This is a great set as a gift to others or yourself.
VINE VOICEon March 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are so many choices when it comes to cookware, that it is sometimes surprising how craftsmanship and design can suddenly elevate a pot or pan above the mundane crowd. KitchenAid has succeeded in doing just that. The dark red is an attractive alternative to the usual metallic colors. However, it is when I first grasped the handles that I knew KitchenAid was really on to something. They are stainless steel with a textured soft silicone on the bottom. These pans are really comfortable to hold. The metal gives the right strength and the silicone that critical comfort. The non-stick surface is top quality and easy to clean. We have gas heat, so it is important to have a pan that will diffuse the ring of fire without being weighed down by layers of metal. Once again, KitchenAid has found that sweet spot with heavy gauge construction, but not too heavy. The pans heat up quickly, but most critically, evenly. The smaller frying pans have sloped slides that facilitate getting food in and out. The glass lids allow you to peer in without opening and losing heat. The things that one can criticize the most about this set are those of personal preference rather than function. I started using these pans expecting reasonable functionality, what I got was a top notch cookware set, that can easily compete with sets costing 2 or 3 times as much.
on August 28, 2012
When I bought these I thought they would be a little more heavy duty. Don't get me wrong, these are a decent quality p&p's but not what I think of when I think of Kitchenaid. The bottoms are the same thickness as the sides with no extra cook surface. Although the handles are decent quality with good size pop rivets. Also the large saute' pan is only 31/2 qts, kind of small. I used to be a chef and I was used to good commercial heavy duty p&p's, but they were a lot more expensive. Also by being a chef I am very hard on my p&p's. But hey if you are looking for a nice looking set of p&p's and are gental on your cookware these might be for you.

I have since looked at more p&p's and found that the Tfal's are a little better quality for the money or for just a little more coin the Martha Stewarts are real nice. God bless and bon appatite'.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really like this cookware. First of all, it is very attractive - I like the deep read enamel color of the exterior with the chrome handles with matching red silicone heat guards underneath. The handles are securely attached to the cookware with large rivets. I also very much like the clear glass lids - they let you see the contents while cooking without having to lift the lid. The lids also have the red silicone heat guards on the underneath of their handles. Second, the non-stick interior works really well & is VERY easy to clean in warm soapy water. Do note, however, that, due to the enamel exteriors, the included use & care instructions state that these pots & pans are NOT dishwasher safe. So, it is a real plus that they clean up so easily by hand. I have, however, washed the glass lids in the dishwasher with no ill effects.

I'd say that the gauge of the metal this cookware is made from is medium weight. It is not as think & heavy as our old Calphalon anodized aluminum cookware, nor is it what I would consider to be "flimsy". It feels substantial enough in your hand without being overly heavy, so I would classify it as "optimal". It is a joy to cook with.

I am docking it one star, however, because I think it would be better if the silicone heat guards on the handles extended all the way around the handle, including protection top & bottom. When I used the stock pot to boil 4 quarts of water for cooking pasta, the tops of the pot's handles got too hot to touch. Also, the silicone guard on the handle of the larger of the two saucepans began to pull away from the metal handle on one end. Looking underneath it, there was a threaded screw that extended from the handle down into the silicone guard. I pressed the guard hard up against the handle & it popped back into place, so I hope it will remain so. Time will tell if this is the case.

All in all, I like this cookware very much & hope it lasts a good, long time with regular use.
on February 8, 2013
Very poor design and execution of this product. Two of the glass lids are the same exact size, and they do not fit any of the three skillets. The handles for all pans have an irregularly shaped hollow area under the part that connects to the body of the cookware, and it would be impossible to keep this area clean under normal conditions of use or maintenance. The saucepans are an odd shape. The bottom of the pans is a glossy black material that doesn't look as though it would stand up to abrasion from any sort of cooking surface.

Other problems include inaccurate return instructions that refer to an enclosed return label (not present) and conflicting information concerning refunds (question whether return freight is included). The web-address to seek replacement labels is no longer active, and the home web-site does not have a category specifically for product returns.

Will purchase another set of cookware from a reliable local source after inspecting the products being sold.

Have requested return from the vendor.