Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Foo Fighters GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,236 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,080 reviews
on November 16, 2015
4.5 STARS. As always, I prefer to give credit where credit is due rather than short change a product, but just keep in mind there are a few drawbacks to this mixer. But first the pros, this sucker is STURDY! Most of us have seen these mixers everywhere for what seems to be decades, but it was probably just me that didn't realize all kitchenmaid stand mixers aren't created equal. While they may look alike, different models have different capacities, speeds and effectiveness in various applications. I really wanted to wait to write this review until I had really explored this machine because it's such a big investment (in my opinion at least!). Now that I have, the sturdiness of this product has definitely proven to be true. We have a rather small kitchen and so it gets moved around quite a bit, this hasn't resulted in any sort of loosening or wiggling which is important when you have that dough hook running at top speed (some of the cheaper mixers act like poorly balanced washing machines). The sturdiness, however, can be a double edged sword due to the heft. If you have trouble lifting things or perhaps a bit of arthritis be sure to store this on a mobile kitchen cart or simply give it a permanent countertop space to avoid having to lift it from a bottom (or worse-top) cabinet which can be a task. Next is function, I cannot tell you how nice it is to be able to toss something into this mixer and walk away to get the other ingredients without having to babysit a bowl! Especially when I'm working with something dense like honey or doughs. The attachments have all been easy to put on/take off and are sized well enough to store away easily. There is room for improvement though, the rubber spatula sided mixer attachment is sold separately which is what can scrape down the sides of your bowl without you having to angle a separate spatula into the mixer, I would have been open to forgoing some of the other attachments in order to have this one right off the bat, but they are cheaper and easy to find at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.. Also, the swing back mechanism for the top of the mixer via the hinge at the neck has no protection against it flipping up and down hard. Think about the drawer add-ons you can install so they don't slam, that would be great for the head of this mixer, just to protect the hinge. Color-wise, the blue color of this mixer is absolutely dreamy! It's beautiful and a bit novel without being overly kitschy and is still easy to match to other kitchen products out there. Overall, I really do love this piece of equipment and think it is a great investment for anyone who likes to cook or bake. This model and size is great for families and even sturdy enough to teach the little ones on. Half star loss for the lack of slow-down mechanism for the head and the lack of spatula on the mixer attachment leaving you to clean up the walls of the bowl pretty frequently, but apart from that this machine is fantastic.

PROS: Built To Last, BEAUTIFUL color, Easy On/Off Attachments, Does Not Slow Down When Dealing With Thick/Difficult Foods (i.e. Honey, Doughs, etc.), Great Size, Good Investment Piece (I bought this two years ago and the price hasn't fallen).
CONS: No Cushion For Mixer Head When Lifting up/Down To Prevent Hard Slam, Spatula Mixer Attachment Not Included Requiring You to Scrape Down The Bowl Pretty Often, Expensive (but again, it's not bad for an investment piece-I can't see this thing breaking any time soon or ever maybe)
TIPS: TJ Maxx and Marshalls have attachment for these mixers on sale regularly for 60% off the selling price so if you have one nearby go and check for that spatula attachment or even a pasta maker or meat grinder I've seen them all there!, If you are working with dough (or especially if a young one is learning) watch out for it coiling up your dough hook and into the gears-it can happen quickly if you're not careful. Last, I've found that a metal blemish extractor (bought and dedicated for mixer cleaning) is the best tool to get into the attachment holder and metal pieces in the head of the mixer in case they get dirty (or gunked up with aforementioned dough... ). It is sturdier than a toothpick which runs the risk of breaking and getting caught in the gears.

***Did you find my review helpful? I hope so! Let me know if you have questions by using the comments section below ***
88 comments| 734 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2016
The fact that there have been many posts in the past several years about grey residue does not speak well of KitchenAid's ability to resolve issues of quality control. The solution that worked for me was scrubbing the bowl with baking soda paste as recommended by the KitchenAid website.

I purchased this model KitchenAid (Aqua Sky) in the past week (in March 2016) and had the problem many have reported of grey residue around the bowl. It ruined my very first recipe, a batch of lovingly prepared yeast waffle dough, when I started mixing. At first I thought it was grease that had dripped from the motor into the food, then I realized the contamination was coming from the bowl, which I had washed once before use. (The imprint on the bottom of the bowl indicates it is made in India.) After throwing away my ingredients, I re-washed twice with a Scotch-Brite scrubby sponge and hot water and detergent, and then twice more scrubbing extremely vigorously with Comet cleanser, then rinsing thoroughly. But still wiping the inside of the bowl with a white kitchen towel left a grey residue!

After further research I found a page on the KitchenAid site that describes this problem. You can find it if you Google 'KitchenAid remove residue from stainless bowls'. The article says the residue is from polishing in the factory and cannot be removed in the dishwasher or by ordinary hand washing. It recommends 1) Bar Keeper's Friend, or 2) a mixture of lemon juice and salt, or 3) baking soda paste.

I purchased the Bar Keeper's Friend, but I wanted to try the other steps first, in case it can help anyone else reading this who would prefer not to make a special trip for Bar Keeper's Friend. After a thorough scrubbing with lemon juice and salt, there was still a slight residue coming off on a towel. After the baking soda scrubbing there was no longer any residue and I did not have to use the Bar Keeper's Friend. Then I successfully redid my recipe and had no problems with residue.
33 comments| 215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2017
The mixer is great, obviously. You all know that. The purpose of this review is more to help with the color selection, in case anyone out there was like me and struggling to differentiate between Ice Blue and Aqua Sky. I had seen Ice Blue in person at Target. But I could not find Aqua Sky in person, and struggled with trying to figure out which online pictures were accurate. There weren't that many real life pictures available to look at. So I just winged it and ordered Aqua Sky. Luckily its perfect for me. And here is the best way I can describe the difference between the two colors.

ICE BLUE is a very light, bright, airy (and did I say bright?) blue with a touch of green. Gorgeous. and AQUA SKY is a turquoise a few shades darker. More like the color of the stones you would see in Native American jewelry. Compared to Ice Blue I'd say it's more of a country blue/green. Like a Ball jar. (for reference I have included a picture of it beside an actual Ball jar lol). In the other photo I have placed a baby blue cup and a light mint green plate, so you can see how the shade of Aqua Sky kind of falls in between the two. One pic with flash and one without.

I hope this helps anyone else out there who is struggling to figure out what the shades actually look like and which is best for their kitchen.
review image review image review image
22 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2016
I mean, what can you say about KitchenAid products, except great things? I've put off buying this mixer for almost two years. Something else always got in the way. Since my birthday is coming up, I decided to treat myself.

Let me cover the "used" status of this, that I specifically purchased. "Used" items on Amazon are often simply returned items that, often times, have never been used. The description in the used areas will tell you that either the item might have a blemish, or that it's simply the packaging that's been damaged. The latter was the one I chose. The item looks like it never came out of the box. I think someone opened it, saw it wasn't their color, taped it back up, and returned it. All of the attachments were still in the styro-foam just as they were originally packed. The box had a slight indention on one side, and one corner on the top was slightly mashed in. And I do mean slightly. Every piece of paper work was in it (the recipe book, the whisk-not-dishwasher warning tag, the registration paper). It pays to go to the Used section on an item, and find a return. I paid only $217 instead of $279 for it. I also recommend paying for the SqpareTrade warranty. It was $17 for 2 years.

The Imperial Black (and Gray) are not a high gloss finish. They're a matte metal finish, with a slight texture to them (much like the surface of a lemon or lime). They still marry nicely with modern, contemporary, or traditional kitchens. They grey would be nice ina country kitchen with a lot off white, or other pastel colors. The mixers are such a major eye-draw in any kitchen and, in my opinion, the Imperial colors blend in nicely with any kitchen, yet add a bit of softness to an otherwise hard-edged room.

The mixer actually isn't as big as I thought it'd be, but it's still heavy duty, and solid as a rock. I'd recommend the Artisan series, instead of Artisan Deluxe. They come with the same attachments (although the pour shield might vary). However, the Artisan series come with the metal bowl. The Deluxe comes with the glass bowl. Both are 5-QT. The glass bowl, while nice, is heavier, and there's always a risk of it breaking. Metal all the way. It's a nice touch of bling to any mixer color.

I could not be happier with my purchase.
on March 6, 2016
Second time buyer for this product- I have something to share as I washed the bowl today my sponge turned gray and the water was dirty black color I'm not sure what's going if I got a bad bowl? If someone or kitchen aid customer service could explain the reasoning of this?
review image review image review image
44 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2016
I ordered this mixer 2/10/2016 and unpacked it this morning 2/17. I washed the bowl and attachments and wiped down the mixer. I bought machine with the main purpose of making loaf bread. I got everything set up and started the process. As the dough was mixing the head became unstable and popped up and down. The whole mixer wobbled. I made sure everything was locked into place before I started. But the worse part was the grey "stuff" that came off the bowl onto the dough. If I hadn't washed it I would think it was my fault. So my recipe of 6 cups of flour is going to be thrown out. When I unpacked the mixer I noticed the bowl was made in India and I thought it looked and felt cheap. I am so disappointed and will packing it up and sending it back. I even decided on buying the 5 qt with more wattage to accommodate 6 cups of flour and it still bounced all over the place. My friend said she loved hers and it's 20 years old. I bet that one was made in the USA.
review image
55 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2017
Had to return and replace a couple times due to chips in the paint, scratches in the metal band around the motor, the metal band being loose, and warped pouring shield. The third, and hopefully final, one was in the best condition, but it still has a small dent and the metal band is a little loose.

The black residue was on all of the bowls. It appears to be in the tiny grooves of the brushed steel on the inside of the bowl, took several washings and a lot of scrubbing (turned a Mr.Clean magic eraser completely black) to remove.

The beater shaft does not have a spring to hold on the beaters anymore. I was told by KitchenAid customer service that this is a recent enough change that even the pictures on their website have not been updated. Another reviewer was apparently told this was because people couldn't remove the beaters (which sounds ridiculous given the fact that the spring has been on the mixers for decades), but my customer service rep said she didn't know. This missing piece makes the beaters wobble on the shaft and get pushed up by semi-solid ingredients (e.g. cold butter). I gave up on that battle and just ordered a replacement shaft from a parts supplier.

In the end, the one I am keeping still isn't in perfect condition and I have low confidence that it will last like it should, but I don't know of any better mixers on the market.
on February 2, 2017
To be fair, I have only used the KitchenAid I bought a couple of times. However, my mother has had the same model for about 16 years. I was shocked to learn that it was already 16 years old. Her machine is just as powerful as ever, which says something about the integrity of the product.

Did you know KitchenAid was built to withstand the turbulence of the sea? The navy designed this thing to be rugged and lasting. I was skeptical and searched long and hard before dropping a few hundred dollars on a mixer. Time and time again, I found that KitcheAid ruled the market for a reason. I made the decision and clicked the purchase button. You get what you pay for and I am extremely happy with my purchase (after the sticker shock wore off). This is a lifetime investment that you will pay for now and only enjoy even 16 years later.

In terms of color, my decor is very neutral (mostly creams) with dark wood tones. I wanted a splash of color, but nothing that would clash. My little mixer arrived and fit nicely. The pistachio color is creamy and fits in nicely with the decor of my house. It's not a flat color either. Looking closer, the paint has a bit of a pearly quality giving it depth. Now, to the occasional user, this might seem like a nonsense topic, but to the regular or avid baker, you look at this machine all the time and will appreciate the detail KitchenAid puts into it's products. There is a wide variety of colors to choose from!

The package arrived nice and tight with very little wear and tear from the road. The attachments grazed the inside surface of the bowl during the first use. However, after quickly consulting with the user manual, the fix was super simple. And, remember, the inside of the bowl is newly brushed stainless steel. I recommend a thorough cleaning to remove any residue before using it.

I imagine that my pistachio mixer and I will make lots of yummy memories together. Two thumbs WAY up!
on April 24, 2017
I just bought as a wedding gift for my young friend. She and her new husband are comingling their kitchens and this is the must have item to bring the new kitchen up to chef's standards.

I have owned an Artisan since 2003. It gets regular use, for everything from whipped cream to semolina pasta dough (very stiff dough). It has never misbehaved and never let me down. The finish is still as shiny and unmarred as the day I bought it. The bowl and beaters are still solid, although the spatula beater and dough hook are a little dull. Here are some of my observations after using my stand mixer for 14 years.

1.The head will move a little bit with stiff dough. If it jumps a lot read the owners manual and make the necessary adjustments (to make sure the beater is at the correct level in the bowl). Very stiff dough will cause a little movement. That's why there is a lock on the head.

2.The only issue I have had with the mixer moving slightly with very stiff dough is the entire mixer slowly walking across my counter. This was worse on my previous porcelain tile counters but it does not move as much on my granite slab counters, maybe an inch over several minutes. In any case, if you are running the mixer for 10 minutes on a stiff bread dough, keep an eye on it.

3.The motor head will heat up with hard dough, high speed, or a long running time. This has never posed a problem.

4. The mixing bowl, when new, will need a good scrubbing to remove the factory polish material. Other posters here suggest salt or baking soda. I don't remember using anything other than dish soap and a scrubby pad and I have never had grey dough.

5. I have a few of the attachments. They are pricey and may or may not be worth the money (especially the roto cheese grater). I use the meat grinder the most. It grinds partially frozen cuts just fine. I ground up about 30 lbs of turkey very easily last winter, it just took a little time.The sausage stuffer is useful, especially since you can adjust the speed to your comfort level. The pasta extruder is pretty nifty. I can't think of a stand-alone appliance that is better for that (I used to have an stand-alone machine that mixed and extruded pasta but it took up a lot of counter acreage and it broke after about 10 uses). However, I don't think I would replace my crank pasta roller/cutter with the attachment, since it is so expensive and the manual crank one is easy to use.
on May 9, 2017
Excellent product, but lamentable quality bowl (said Polished Stainless Steel with Comfortable Handle), and whip accessory. After 3 weeks the bowl turned up with spots of rust (see one spot on the photo) and the whip turned up into black powder after washing.
I just need to replace these 2 accessories but not really planned in Amazon : you need to return the complete shipment which is a burden due of the weight of the box !