Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

• Customer Reviews

Showing 1-10 of 5,933 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7,750 reviews
on November 16, 2015
4.5 STARS. As always, I prefer to give credit where credit is due rather than short change a product, but just keep in mind there are a few drawbacks to this mixer. But first the pros, this sucker is STURDY! Most of us have seen these mixers everywhere for what seems to be decades, but it was probably just me that didn't realize all kitchenmaid stand mixers aren't created equal. While they may look alike, different models have different capacities, speeds and effectiveness in various applications. I really wanted to wait to write this review until I had really explored this machine because it's such a big investment (in my opinion at least!). Now that I have, the sturdiness of this product has definitely proven to be true. We have a rather small kitchen and so it gets moved around quite a bit, this hasn't resulted in any sort of loosening or wiggling which is important when you have that dough hook running at top speed (some of the cheaper mixers act like poorly balanced washing machines). The sturdiness, however, can be a double edged sword due to the heft. If you have trouble lifting things or perhaps a bit of arthritis be sure to store this on a mobile kitchen cart or simply give it a permanent countertop space to avoid having to lift it from a bottom (or worse-top) cabinet which can be a task. Next is function, I cannot tell you how nice it is to be able to toss something into this mixer and walk away to get the other ingredients without having to babysit a bowl! Especially when I'm working with something dense like honey or doughs. The attachments have all been easy to put on/take off and are sized well enough to store away easily. There is room for improvement though, the rubber spatula sided mixer attachment is sold separately which is what can scrape down the sides of your bowl without you having to angle a separate spatula into the mixer, I would have been open to forgoing some of the other attachments in order to have this one right off the bat, but they are cheaper and easy to find at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.. Also, the swing back mechanism for the top of the mixer via the hinge at the neck has no protection against it flipping up and down hard. Think about the drawer add-ons you can install so they don't slam, that would be great for the head of this mixer, just to protect the hinge. Color-wise, the blue color of this mixer is absolutely dreamy! It's beautiful and a bit novel without being overly kitschy and is still easy to match to other kitchen products out there. Overall, I really do love this piece of equipment and think it is a great investment for anyone who likes to cook or bake. This model and size is great for families and even sturdy enough to teach the little ones on. Half star loss for the lack of slow-down mechanism for the head and the lack of spatula on the mixer attachment leaving you to clean up the walls of the bowl pretty frequently, but apart from that this machine is fantastic.

PROS: Built To Last, BEAUTIFUL color, Easy On/Off Attachments, Does Not Slow Down When Dealing With Thick/Difficult Foods (i.e. Honey, Doughs, etc.), Great Size, Good Investment Piece (I bought this two years ago and the price hasn't fallen).
CONS: No Cushion For Mixer Head When Lifting up/Down To Prevent Hard Slam, Spatula Mixer Attachment Not Included Requiring You to Scrape Down The Bowl Pretty Often, Expensive (but again, it's not bad for an investment piece-I can't see this thing breaking any time soon or ever maybe)
TIPS: TJ Maxx and Marshalls have attachment for these mixers on sale regularly for 60% off the selling price so if you have one nearby go and check for that spatula attachment or even a pasta maker or meat grinder I've seen them all there!, If you are working with dough (or especially if a young one is learning) watch out for it coiling up your dough hook and into the gears-it can happen quickly if you're not careful. Last, I've found that a metal blemish extractor (bought and dedicated for mixer cleaning) is the best tool to get into the attachment holder and metal pieces in the head of the mixer in case they get dirty (or gunked up with aforementioned dough... ). It is sturdier than a toothpick which runs the risk of breaking and getting caught in the gears.

***Did you find my review helpful? I hope so! Let me know if you have questions by using the comments section below ***
33 comments| 404 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2016
The fact that there have been many posts in the past several years about grey residue does not speak well of KitchenAid's ability to resolve issues of quality control. The solution that worked for me was scrubbing the bowl with baking soda paste as recommended by the KitchenAid website.

I purchased this model KitchenAid (Aqua Sky) in the past week (in March 2016) and had the problem many have reported of grey residue around the bowl. It ruined my very first recipe, a batch of lovingly prepared yeast waffle dough, when I started mixing. At first I thought it was grease that had dripped from the motor into the food, then I realized the contamination was coming from the bowl, which I had washed once before use. (The imprint on the bottom of the bowl indicates it is made in India.) After throwing away my ingredients, I re-washed twice with a Scotch-Brite scrubby sponge and hot water and detergent, and then twice more scrubbing extremely vigorously with Comet cleanser, then rinsing thoroughly. But still wiping the inside of the bowl with a white kitchen towel left a grey residue!

After further research I found a page on the KitchenAid site that describes this problem. You can find it if you Google 'KitchenAid remove residue from stainless bowls'. The article says the residue is from polishing in the factory and cannot be removed in the dishwasher or by ordinary hand washing. It recommends 1) Bar Keeper's Friend, or 2) a mixture of lemon juice and salt, or 3) baking soda paste.

I purchased the Bar Keeper's Friend, but I wanted to try the other steps first, in case it can help anyone else reading this who would prefer not to make a special trip for Bar Keeper's Friend. After a thorough scrubbing with lemon juice and salt, there was still a slight residue coming off on a towel. After the baking soda scrubbing there was no longer any residue and I did not have to use the Bar Keeper's Friend. Then I successfully redid my recipe and had no problems with residue.
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2017
The mixer is great, obviously. You all know that. The purpose of this review is more to help with the color selection, in case anyone out there was like me and struggling to differentiate between Ice Blue and Aqua Sky. I had seen Ice Blue in person at Target. But I could not find Aqua Sky in person, and struggled with trying to figure out which online pictures were accurate. There weren't that many real life pictures available to look at. So I just winged it and ordered Aqua Sky. Luckily its perfect for me. And here is the best way I can describe the difference between the two colors.

ICE BLUE is a very light, bright, airy (and did I say bright?) blue with a touch of green. Gorgeous. and AQUA SKY is a turquoise a few shades darker. More like the color of the stones you would see in Native American jewelry. Compared to Ice Blue I'd say it's more of a country blue/green. Like a Ball jar. (for reference I have included a picture of it beside an actual Ball jar lol). In the other photo I have placed a baby blue cup and a light mint green plate, so you can see how the shade of Aqua Sky kind of falls in between the two. One pic with flash and one without.

I hope this helps anyone else out there who is struggling to figure out what the shades actually look like and which is best for their kitchen.
review image review image review image
on March 6, 2016
Second time buyer for this product- I have something to share as I washed the bowl today my sponge turned gray and the water was dirty black color I'm not sure what's going if I got a bad bowl? If someone or kitchen aid customer service could explain the reasoning of this?
review image review image review image
44 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2015
Had to return it for another one. The mixing bowl is aluminum not stainless steel (although the bowl says stainless steel at the bottom ) the mixing bowl was giving off a grayish color in light color cake batter. I sent Amazon.com a letter stating the issues and why I was returning it. It's been a month later and no reply as of yet.
on March 4, 2016
I mean, what can you say about KitchenAid products, except great things? I've put off buying this mixer for almost two years. Something else always got in the way. Since my birthday is coming up, I decided to treat myself.

Let me cover the "used" status of this, that I specifically purchased. "Used" items on Amazon are often simply returned items that, often times, have never been used. The description in the used areas will tell you that either the item might have a blemish, or that it's simply the packaging that's been damaged. The latter was the one I chose. The item looks like it never came out of the box. I think someone opened it, saw it wasn't their color, taped it back up, and returned it. All of the attachments were still in the styro-foam just as they were originally packed. The box had a slight indention on one side, and one corner on the top was slightly mashed in. And I do mean slightly. Every piece of paper work was in it (the recipe book, the whisk-not-dishwasher warning tag, the registration paper). It pays to go to the Used section on an item, and find a return. I paid only $217 instead of $279 for it. I also recommend paying for the SqpareTrade warranty. It was $17 for 2 years.

The Imperial Black (and Gray) are not a high gloss finish. They're a matte metal finish, with a slight texture to them (much like the surface of a lemon or lime). They still marry nicely with modern, contemporary, or traditional kitchens. They grey would be nice ina country kitchen with a lot off white, or other pastel colors. The mixers are such a major eye-draw in any kitchen and, in my opinion, the Imperial colors blend in nicely with any kitchen, yet add a bit of softness to an otherwise hard-edged room.

The mixer actually isn't as big as I thought it'd be, but it's still heavy duty, and solid as a rock. I'd recommend the Artisan series, instead of Artisan Deluxe. They come with the same attachments (although the pour shield might vary). However, the Artisan series come with the metal bowl. The Deluxe comes with the glass bowl. Both are 5-QT. The glass bowl, while nice, is heavier, and there's always a risk of it breaking. Metal all the way. It's a nice touch of bling to any mixer color.

I could not be happier with my purchase.
on June 27, 2016
Everyone should have a KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer. It's durable, multi purpose and attractive. This mixer is everything you and I will ever need. I bought this as a wedding gift for myself and my husband. Everything I've made has come out perfect. I bought the Artisan over the regular stand mixer because the Artisan came with a splash guard. The best part are the attachments. I have only bought so far the ice cream bowl mixer and love it, I've made chunky monkey ice cream, chocolate ice cream and raspberry sorbet. When cleaning the mixer, you don't want to use cleaners on it, just a wet sponge to wipe it down with some soap. The best part about this mixer is the fact it comes in so many different colors, I bought it in Enpire Red. Don't hesitate to buy this, definitely buy this product, you won't be disappointed.
on February 17, 2016
I ordered this mixer 2/10/2016 and unpacked it this morning 2/17. I washed the bowl and attachments and wiped down the mixer. I bought machine with the main purpose of making loaf bread. I got everything set up and started the process. As the dough was mixing the head became unstable and popped up and down. The whole mixer wobbled. I made sure everything was locked into place before I started. But the worse part was the grey "stuff" that came off the bowl onto the dough. If I hadn't washed it I would think it was my fault. So my recipe of 6 cups of flour is going to be thrown out. When I unpacked the mixer I noticed the bowl was made in India and I thought it looked and felt cheap. I am so disappointed and will packing it up and sending it back. I even decided on buying the 5 qt with more wattage to accommodate 6 cups of flour and it still bounced all over the place. My friend said she loved hers and it's 20 years old. I bet that one was made in the USA.
review image
55 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2016
This is my second mixer, bought this for my daughter. Bought the first one about 8 years ago, could not be happier with that one. This one came with a bowl that was obviously cheaply made- sediment/metal flakes came off the inside when rubbed with my hand. And take a look at the outside finish in the picture, note the obvious black material underneath the thin stainless steel finish. Would you not love to have that in your cake...not!
I looked at the underside of the bowl, which states where the bowl is made. The defective bowl from the new mixer was made in India. I looked at the bowl from the old (good) mixer, and that one was made in Korea.
So I threw out the bowl from the new mixer to avoid health risk, and bought a used one off Ebay.
KitchenAid, shame on you!
To increase your profit margin, you chose a new (and presumably cheaper supplier) for the bowl....and did not do the quality control you should have done.
on January 17, 2017
35 years ago I got the larger KitchenAid to use in bread making and grinding flour, the one that cranks the bowl up. It was impressive in both power and construction but alas it now belongs to someone else.

This is the little brother (325 watt vs 575 watt motor). It was also purchased for use in bread making and grinding flour. It has a couple of advantages over its big brother: (1) it fits on the counter under the cupboards and (2) the tilt head makes getting the mixing bowl in and out easier than was the case with the larger KitchenAid mixer.

While the construction of this unit seems to be as good as the old one the assembly left a bit to be desired. The ring around the drive for the beaters was not properly seated (easily fixed) and the label band was not properly seated at the back where it is screwed to the housing, which took a little more work to fix properly. Finally, the slot for the anti-twist pin that all attachments have needed to be radiused on the bottom, the casting had excess material that prevented the pins from seating properly and needed to be cut away. Not too much work to fix.

Otherwise it arrived in perfect condition.

The mixing beaters work fine for mixing dry or sloppy ingredients. The dough hook works fine for a standard loaf of bread dough, not sure how it will do with dough for two loaves.

The splatter shield leaves a lot to be desired. It does not attach to the bowl firmly, it is a bit warped so it does not sit down properly all the way around, and it needs to be held in place by hand. It isn't really needed if the speed is started slow and not raised too much while mixing ingredients. This part has been squirreled away in a dark place as a useless piece of equipment.

To grind flour I purchased a Mockmill which attaches to the KitchenAid as if it were OEM equipment, an item I'll review once it has been used a few times. The Mockmill, as advertised, is shown attached to this KitchenAid model so I'm sure it has more than enough power to grind flour with this mill.

My take on all those broken beaters mentioned in other reviews is that they were used to mix ingredients that were either too viscous for that beater or the speed was set too high. That said I'm not impressed with the dough hook but the shape is right and it seems to have no trouble kneading enough dough for one loaf. Purchasing a backup may be a good idea.

To avoid destroying the machine should something lock up the beater KitchenAid put one gear in the drive train that will break up so as not to damage the rest of the drive train. The replacement isn't too expensive so it is my recommendation that one backup replacement should be kept on hand to avoid putting the machine out of commission until the replacement part arrives. Probably overkill though.