Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KitchenAid KSM150PSSM Artisan Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer, Silver Metallic
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Color: Silver Metallic|Change

on October 11, 2002
I shopped around a long time before I bought this mixer. Based on other reviews and the great reputation of KitchenAid, I finally took the plunge. While it's a lot of money to shell out for a countertop appliance, I've found that it's been worth every last cent. No more scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula, no more unmixed flour in the bottom of the bowl, and it is pretty and sleek enough that I can keep it sitting on my counter!
The pouring shield makes it easy to dump ingredients in, and not get them poofed back in your face! I occasionally whip up batches of decorator's cake icing, which requires 2 pounds of confectioner's sugar. On my old mixer, everything within a 1-yard radius of the mixer would be covered in with a layer of sugar. Not any more. The pouring sheild keeps the mess contained to the bowl and the underside of the mixer head. I wanted a mixer with a tilt-up head instead of the bowl-lift mechanism on other KitchenAid models. It's designed well so that tilting the head back doesn't even knock the pouring shield off with the beater.
I make a lot of focaccia bread, and mave always hated the 10 minutes of hand kneading. So I dumped the dough in my kitchen aid and ran it at the lowest speed with the dough hook. It came out beautifully. Not sure how I ever lived without this.
The only problem is that with the black model, it ends up looking a little streaky if you just wipe it down with a sponge. Be sure to wipe it dry, too! My boyfriend, the cuisinally challenged, put the regular beater attachment through the dishwasher, and it came out with some sort of powdery-looking deposits all over it. Working on getting that cleaned off.
Overall, I would highly recommend the Artisan mixer. It's powerful enough for the heftiest mixing jobs, and was thoughfully designed with the practical cook in mind.
44 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2005
I've always had a KitchenAid mixer - my mother passed a PINK one down to me...that might tell you how old it is....so, when I saw the beautiful colors offered in this mixer, I just had to buy one. I chose the GRAPE and I am not disappointed - I had to find a place for it in my kitchen...I couldn't hide this one away! It mixes like a dream - the white paddle is such an improvement from just the old whip beater. Now I can mix everything - many things that are too thick and that I had to mix by hand before. Plus the BEST price is on Amazon - with the rebate offered by KitchenAid, no tax, no shipping, plus I also got the $25 off special offer from Amazon (if purchasing at least $125 in Kitchen and Housewares)! Can't beat that deal!
on March 11, 2009
After studying consumer reviews (online and magazine), I purchased the KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer. It's so much more powerful and better designed than the one it replaced, but my first experience was disappointing. I needed to make a meringe using two eggs. The wire whip beater just skimmed over the top of the whites and didn't begin to beat them. According to the manual, the factory setting for the beater height sometimes needs to be raised so that the flat beater doesn't hit the side of the bowl. My problem was the opposite, so, using a flathead screwdriver, I had to turn the screw to lower the beater height so that the wire whip would reach egg whites, then check the flat beater to make sure that it would still clear the side of the bowl! No one has ever mentioned this, but I'm sure I'm not unique. Otherwise, this mixer lives up to its reputation and I love the silver finish, which matches my stainless steel appliances!
on May 16, 2012
I was thrilled when I got my Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas. I immediately registered it and started using it. About a month or so after getting it, I noticed a chip in the beater. I sent an email about it to Kitchenaid and they promptly sent me a replacement. Then, last week, only four months after I got the mixer, I turned it on and the beater wouldn't turn around. The motor ran fine, but it wouldn't turn. I called Kitchenaid and they told me they would send a replacement mixer. That's where the problem started. My husband is a Foreign Service Officer, serving at an Embassy overseas, and as soon as they realized we live outside the US, they told me my warranty was no longer valid. Apparently, it says in the warranty, which is something I would have read AFTER I bought the machine. In addition, when I asked the customer service agent to email the information about the local company who repairs Kitchenaid, she told me she couldn't email me. Apparently, if you don't have a warranty, you don't have any rights because they communicated with me via email before they found out I was living overseas.

I would NEVER have purchased such an expensive mixer if I had known I would get NO customer service and would not have any type of warranty. To anyone living overseas, regardless of whether you are serving with the military or are at a US Embassy, think twice before purchasing anything from Kitchenaid. You will spend a lot of money with no protection. I expected more from Kitchenaid.
on December 4, 2006
One of my favorite and first memories is helping my grandmother in the kitchen, using the mixer. Unfortunately, she passed away when I was very young and who knows what happened to the mixer... I wanted one of these my whole life, and after much debating I finally got it a couple of years ago. Paid for next day shipping, and I took the day off work so I would be home when this came, I almost cried tears of joy when I opened the box. I love this thing, it is the best!! I am so happy with it, I even named it. (Hey, guys can name their cars....) Lives up to my expectations and beyond. Bread dough is a snap with this, beats the fluffiest egg whites... I plan on getting the attachments for sausage and pasta. If you aren't sure to get this, go for it! You won't be disappointed!
on December 2, 2015
Everything is great except the quality of the bowl. There're black dirts came out from the metal and will be mixed into the food you are making. The outside of the bowl is polished which looks great, however the inner side is not well done. I tried hard to wash the inner side several times but still got a little into my dough (picture attached). I've searched other reviews and seen the same thing happened.
review image
on May 26, 2008
I love the icy color. Takes me back to my childhood. I have gone through only a couple of hand mixers. Bought a cheap stand mixer a few years back and never use the wretched thing because it doesn't work right. Good will is getting the old one and the new baby is all mine. As much as the "more power" of the bigger motored version of the kitchenaid seem appealing, I know I want the tip back mount, not the elevator mount. I don't do the monster mixing the commercial grade mixer would warrant. The only difficult decision was boysenberry or ice blue. Nostalgia won out.
on December 27, 2015
I bought it NEW from ALWAYS QUALITY. At least I thought it was new. However, I received the product with dead flies in the bowl. There were also black greasy marks (not sure what it was) on the base and a white creamy substance all over the the joint where it tilts (I don't even want to know what it is). This is disgusting and horrible. I'm returning this and this is unacceptable. I don't know how the dealer stores their product. How can there be dead flies and gross substances all over the product. Is it really new? I felt scammed. Be careful when ordering. I would recommend opening the "NEW" product with gloves and a mask. Who knows what substances I was exposed to. Buyer beware.
review image review image review image review image review image
on September 30, 2004
With two kids in the house it was time to upgrade from the $99 mixer and had our eye on this. With the color choices it was a no brainer. For us it was Grape....at first (having a brown kitchen) would that look...perfect!!!

I like the fact that it is so fast to make cupcakes, bread, pasta, cakes, cookies, anything for the kids. They love having treats and I actually get more time to do things with my wife.

This is a must have for any kitchen if you are doing baking. Stop wasting time and step up to the best...enjoy baking!!!
on July 23, 2011
I've always admired and wanted one of these. When I discovered Amazon's low price, I bought one. Shipping was quick, and I was up and running as soon as it arrived. I've been using it for everything I can think of since then. My first task was New York style pizza dough. That had me a little worried as the mixer seemed to struggle with my first attempt, but I learned to knead the dough wetter and add a little more flour at the end to get the right hydration. Since then, all has been roses. I have made pizza, several types of bread, meatballs, meatloaf and several other goodies. If things keep going like this, I will be a happy camper for years to come. The only question is why I waited so long to get one.

One hint to those who have reported their dough climbing the dough hook up into the grease... Spray the dough hook with a little cooking spray or rub it with olive oil before kneading. The dough will not be able to climb the hook. Problem solved.