Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on April 13, 2011
I bought the KitchenStir Chef's Stir Pan after using a T-Fal Actifry for several months. The KitchenStir has many things to recommend it, it doesn't take up as much space, it's much cheaper, it has variable temperature and stirring controls, and it does a really outstanding job for medium to high temperature cooking.

Cleanup is very easy, and the unit seems very sturdy. I have only one negative point to make, and it concerns the metal mesh filter that comes in the lid of the cooker.
You need to get rid of it before you use the lid.

When I opened my box, the metal mesh had bent and broken at the cut edges, leaving several sharp bits of loose metal. I removed the mesh, and thought nothing more of it, until the next time I used the lid, when one last shard fell out into the food I was cooking. It must have gotten caught in the plastic housing, and survived the initial rinse of the lid.

If I had been preparing soup instead of fried potatoes, I wouldn't have spotted it, and it might have been eaten. I hate to think what that would do.

That mesh cost the Chef's Stir Pan a fifth star, because in everything else, it is outstanding! I liked it so well I bought one for my mother. She'll be getting it for Christmas, AFTER I take out the mesh filter and repackage the machine.

So be careful, but enjoy this product.

Update: It's September 2013, and I'm still using both the high-temp and low-temp models. Neither one has had any flaking or peeling of the non-stick coating - (I do hand wash them though, and use only soft silicone utensils in them.) On both of the bases, I have had to apply a silicone grease to the center post a couple of times when they developed a nasty squeak, and that usually lasts for about a year or so before re-greasing is required. But that's about the only maintenance they have needed, and they get run through the wringer at my place.
1414 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2012
OUT OF BOX EXPERIENCE
The device was well packaged by the manufacturer to protect against damage, and the unpacking process was a pretty straightforward. The included recipe booklet and alternate handle are welcome additions.

CRAFTSMANSHIP, FIT & FINISH and MATERIALS
The stir pan is surprisingly light given its overall size. Not so light as to feel cheap or 'disposable', but light enough that most anybody could stow or lift it to counter height without issue. Materials are mostly well chosen, with plenty of real metal, and glass. Some of the plastics are overly glossy and feel a bit on the cheap side, and the labeling of knobs and switches is on a metallic sticker that seems a bit low-rent. That being said I don't think durability of the device will suffer as a result. Mechanical switches, knobs and levers give the stir-pan a decidedly old school "solid state" feel. The overall aesthetic is no-nosense, function over form. Not the prettiest appliance, it reminds me of laboratory equipment or a piece of commercial/industrial gadgetry. I must admit that is oddly charming in it's own way.

USING THE DEVICE
I was able to put the stir-pan to use immediately without referring to any instructions (not advising you do the same, just pointing out that assembly and usage are fairly self-explanatory). It made wonderfully simple work of a beef stir fry. I picked up some pre-sliced raw stir-fry ready beef from the supermarket, along with a bag of asian medley type frozen vegetables, and some stir fry sauce. Dinner was done so quickly, and with so little effort it was amazing. Literally as easy as switching it on, dumping in the ingredients, and then letting it do its thing.

I have not needed to add oil to anything I've cooked so far. I love it more than my microwave. Seriously. After the detachable pan has cooled sufficiently, you can put it straight in the fridge to store leftovers, and then warm them back up to perfection by reattaching the pan to the cooking base and letting it do its thing again.

CAPACITY
Capacity is ample when cooking for 2-3 adults, beyond that I think you may need to explore more capacious options.

CLEANUP
The removable non-stick pan, stirrer, and glass lid clean up easily in the sink or dishwasher, and drips and spills wipe cleanly from the metal surfaces. It hasn't shown itself to be an especially "messy" device, but I would be sure to keep the area around the controls wiped down so that crud doesn't accumulate around the switches and knobs.

IT'S FOR YOU IF...
- You want mealtime convenience without having to resort to the microwave or take-out
- You are cooking for yourself, a couple or small family
- You want to incorporate healthier cooking techniques into your lifestyle

THINK TWICE IF...
- You are primarily cooking for a larger family or group
on December 15, 2012
I had mulled over purchasing an electric frying pan for years, but never followed through until I found this option with the automatic stirring mechanism. I'm iffy on using non-stick cookware, but the appeal of this lazy girl's method won out.

One of my favorite features is that the user can choose to have the stirring tool off, on (stirs all the time), or use an auto setting (alternates stirring and not stirring).

Another plus is the super easy clean-up (the pot, lid, and stirrer can all go in the dishwasher).

A negative aspect is the fluctuating temperatures. Even though the dial shows a wide variety of settings, from "warm" to "400 degrees" these do not seem to be at all accurate. Even on the warm setting (which, according to the dial, is somewhere less than 120 degrees F) it will frequently boil wildly.

I'm not sure if this is a problem unique to the one I purchased, but when plugged in and turned off, the unit still heats up slightly. Once I figured that out, I was careful not to plug it in until I was ready to cook, but I consider this to be a serious flaw that users should be aware of.

It worked beautifully to make filling for a shepherd's pie, from browning the meat to adding flour, broth, and vegetables until cooked to perfection. I have also tried it for risotto, where it did not work as well due to the inability to maintain a gentle simmer.
on July 13, 2012
This cooks great tasting meals very easily and would easily get five stars but I'm giving it four stars for the funky screws that hold it together and hold the handle on. They keep coming loose and ours stripped out on the handle already so we will eventually have to use bigger thread screws and perhaps some kind of heat resistant epoxy to make the handle stay on. The only other thing I could ask for would be if it had a timer to shut it off because if you cook your dish too long it will turn it to mush; it will still taste good but it will be the consistency of refried beans. July 2012

September 2012 update: the pot continues to work wonderfully, we use it practically every day for dinner. We also used it like
a crock pot, just set the temperature low and you've got a crock pot that stirs. We did take the screen out of the vent cap and are being careful not to get moisture inside the heating part when cleaning. This is so good we're getting rid of our four burner stove. Who needs it when you have a KitchenStir?

January 2014 update: the pot continues to work as it should the gears slip if the ingredients are too thick but I want to note that the non-stick coating comes off. Once it starts it can't be stopped. If you don't mind that it's still a good pot.

March 2017: first the switch broke that turns the stir paddle on and off, I took that out so paddle runs all the time, next the on/off switch broke so we're going to replace that. My conclusion is that the concept is wonderful but the execution was done as cheaply as possible. I would no long recommend this pot. I've also lowered my review from 4 stars to 2 stars. Ours continues to work but only because I'm able to repair the parts as they break.
on November 30, 2014
Loved the idea - but the inside finish chips off. Thought it might just be the way I used it. So I bought another one and was twice as careful.... and the same thing happened. If they made one with stainless steel interior, I would purchase. But now now. Very Very disappointed.
on September 1, 2012
I tried a few times to use this product and I must conclude that it just make a mess.
I do not like it and I want to return it, it is a food waster.
Example, cut potatoes in small dice size and put them in auto mode in this device.
You may get mushy burned on a side potatoes and with lot of fumes. This is ridiculous.
on December 2, 2010
I am so excited about this product. I have been making homemade toffee for years and at Christmas time I make over 100 batches for friends and family. The hardest part about making toffee is that it is time consuming and you have to stir it constantly. I was leary about ordering the kitchenstir because I had tried another product(stirChef) and because the toffee gets so hot it melted the stir arm. The kitchen stir has a temperature range of up to 400 degrees making it perfect. The first time I used it I was so excited. It works perfectly and lets me do other thing while it is cooking. I have been bragging about it ever since. If you make any type of hard candy you will love it. And the clean up is so easy. I would highly reccommend it to anyone. I have!!!!!!
4242 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2015
I've had it for 2 years and never found the need to use it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2013
Purchased this for auto soup, stew and french fry prep. The stir rod is so weak that it stalls on potatoes and other vegetables. DO NOT buy this pan.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.