Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kittrich Rolled Adhesive Bookcover, 18 Inches x 9 Feet, 1 Roll (03-750-12)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on February 12, 2011
Lining your books is an art. If you've never done it before, find a book you don't care much about and experiment. After about the third book, you'll get it right.

This material is excellent but not as stiff as I've seen in the past; I am referring to other vendors. It is suple but will harden after a year so it is best to line your books at one time, say six or seven at a time. Throw this material away after a year or so because it gets stiff and brittle.It will also be hard to remove the covering material.

The best way to use this product is described below:

Tools: sissors, exacto knife or small 1- 1-1/2" pen knife.

Take the book and open it to make a rough cut of the material. You will to leave about 1-1/2" below and above for the flaps. Leave material for tieing down
the flaps. For large books lay the book out length-wise with the roll itself rather than parallel to the roll. Mark the future cuts with a permanent pen.

Ideally, if there is time, cut these strips and put books over them to flatten them so they won't curl while lining the book. Flattening takes about a day.

Use the sissors to cut the book liner. Leave 1-1/2" above and below the book dimensions.

To start lining the book, cut a triangular edge out of one of the corners. Cut deep enough to part the cover from the lining.

Pull the cover free but slowly and smoothly. You want to roll slowly to allow the adhesive between the cover and the lining to separate.

Now, pull the cover and liner apart and place the front of the book in the way you lined it up when you made a rough cut. Leave 1-1/2" above and below the book edges. Line the edge of the book first, then slowly roll the lining in place until it gets to the trench in front of the backing. Then, slowly pinch the lining into this trench. Use your fingers here but also use the outside palm of your hand as a squeggee (outside palm is opposite of the thumb). Now, roll the lining over the back. All the time push the bubbles towards the spot where the book meets the lining forcing the bubbles out. With the back done roll through the trench, pinch it in, then continue to the edge of the back cover.

With sissors cut the liner, careful not to catch the adhesive and wind up caught in your own web. Cut a rectangle around the book with enough room for the flaps.

Cut diagonal flaps for each of the edges: 4. Cut vertical cuts at the book binding, to let the liner breath; without this you run the risk of breaking the back of the book when the liner is attached. Fold the flap inward attaching them to the inside of the book. Take care to leave enough liner to hold the lining securely without using up all of the inside of the books. Cut strips to make vertical seals for the edges of the flaps: at least 2 each per diagonal flap. Seal any edges that look loose with additional cut strips.

Lastly, trim the book binding at the back of the book. Push inward to seal. Push any bubbles out.

Open and close the book to make sure the book binding can breath. If not, consider cutting the liner near one of the binding ridges.

If this review was helpful, please add your vote.
on July 27, 2013
I have a lot of paperback books I let my middle school students borrow, and this stuff is a lifesaver. It can be re-positioned without tearing up the book cover, and it protects the books from the wear and tear of teenage use (and that's saying a lot). If you have multiple people using any of your books--use it!
on January 7, 2011
I attempted to use this for hardcover textbooks with thick front and back covers.

The product adhered great to the flat surfaces of the front/back covers, but when I tucked the extra 1.5" around the edge onto the inside of the cover, these "flaps" wouldn't stay put -- it wasn't adhesive enough. I've never had this problem with other brands of contact paper. I had to resort to tape to secure these inside flaps; the other option would have been to trim the flaps altogether, but I like to protect the bottom and side edges of the book, as that's where most damage occurs.

My bottom line opinion: This product works great when it stays flat (e.g. laminating stuff), but don't rely on it for any applications where you need to bend, fold, wrap, or tuck a small edge or flap: the contact paper since it isn't sticky enough to hold its own. I'll be getting a different brand for future textbook-covering endeavors.
on January 3, 2014
I bought this to put around the jackets of dictionaries I bought for my classroom. My students are responsible but the front and back covers will still be torn by the end of the year. This isn't clear; it's not entirely opaque but I was expecting something that was as clear as Saran Wrap. This is about 20% clear and, frankly, looks really stupid on the book jackets! I might be able to use it for something else but I'll probably end up throwing it away.
on October 7, 2010
I covered 3 thick cookbooks and 1 paperback cookbook and have enough left for 1 more book. This product was fairly easy to apply and remove for repositioning. The instructions aren't very helpful where covering a book is concerned and on the first attempt, I had to remove and reposition the adhesive several times, but it became easier after that. When applying to books with dust jackets, I put a rolled piece of tape under the inside flaps to keep the dust jacket from moving around. Though not perfectly applied (with some bubbles here and there), I'm very happy with the results. I wanted something to protect the books and this adhesive works just fine.
on July 14, 2013
I had a large poster which needed to be customized to double as a dry erase surface. After purchasing another product (clear shelf liner) to do a similar job, that application was very difficult because any readjusting meant that the underlying papered surface was going to be damaged. It also had a glossy surface which hindered the readability of the poster from a distance. This project is much easier to apply, and is removable (with a slight residue left behind) which allows for it to be repositioned as needed. Works well as a dry erase surface, though you should test a specific color before you use it to determine how easy it will be to erase. No complaints here. Each roll should be able to laminate a large poster (about 3x4 feet), and any seams are not really visible. Very satisfied with the utility of this product.
on January 17, 2014
The product is easy to apply and keeps my manuals looking good. I find it is tricky to get the stuff started to peel off the backing but it can be pulled up and reset onto the book without any problem.
on April 10, 2013
Bought this to cover a 30 year old book that was getting a little ratty around the edges. Some would say it was "well loved". Anyway, the product was a little too curled right off the roll, I would warm it up some before using it next time. It was pretty easy to cut as it has measuring dots to follow. It was a little difficult to wrangle peeling off the backing paper. The one thing that would have improved it was it could be a tad more sticky. Once I had the book positioned on the film, the overlap (about 1/2 inch) wasn't sticky enough to stay stuck. I had to use clear packing tape on the inside cover to keep the film stuck in place. So that's it. It works fine with some finagling.
on March 3, 2013
I bought this to cover paperback books I was using in my 6th grade class book groups. I was hoping that it would make them a little more durable. While it does offer some protection, it isn't really clear like advertised. The film is more translucent than transparent. It is removable which is nice, but because of this it doesn't completely adhere in places so there are some air bubbles on the edges even when I used a bone folder.
on January 28, 2011
I bough two rolls of this contact paper to cover my huge college books, which was exactly what I was looking for. It was easy to use since you can peel the paper off to adjust if it doesn't stay flat as first without causing any damage to the books. I used this for both hardcovers and paperbacks, works fine for me so far. Gonna buy some again next semester.