Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Klipsch AW-650 6.5" Reference Outdoor Loudspeaker Pair (White)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on July 17, 2014
A little background...I'm a music fanatic and I have music playing all around my house (we have acreage) as well as inside. I have bought many different outdoor speakers over the years. I have some el-cheapos, I have a set of the old style Bose 151 Environmentals that are not bad for small speakers, I have a set of Polk Atrium 45's that are excellent small outdoor speakers. I also had a set of Polk Patio speakers for my pool and patio area. They blew last weekend, so I needed some new ones, and I wanted some really great ones. After doing some research, I was torn between these, the larger Polk Atriums, and the Definitives. I think they would all be fine speakers, but I am a Klipsch fan and I liked the look of these, so I placed my order. I received them today and have been playing them for about 4 hours. At first, they sounded a bit hollow. But after about 30 minutes of play time, they started smoothing out. Wow, these sound great. The base response is the best I have heard from outdoor speakers. I have weatherproof subs that I built, but I turned them off to see how these sounded without them, and the bass is pretty impressive. But where these really shine is where all Klipsch speakers shine...the clarity of the mids and highs. They are crystal clear and sounds like guitar and horns project from the horn tweeters far better than you will get from most speakers. They are bright, but not too bright. Some extra brightness is usually needed outside anyway, because it's a wide open area. And these fill the bill perfectly. On my last speakers, I had to run the treble at +6 and the bass at +3. I have the bass at 0 and the treble at +1 on these, and they sound much better than the Polk Patios did. I can sit all the way on the other side of the pool and hear every little nuance of the music I'm playing. No kidding...this system sounds far better than most indoor systems!

I will update after I've played these for a month or so, but so far I am loving them. I suspect they will only get better. Can't wait for the next pool party where I'm sure to impress my guests with the sound.

Good listening!

Update-

They are probably fully broken in now, and they sound better than ever. The clarity of these, they way they bring out the highs and mids is nothing short of breathtaking As mentioned above; I have two outdoor subs I custom built to withstand the weather, and together with these speakers I have an outdoor system that will shame 95% of indoor stereo systems. I've had people over a couple of times since installing these, and they are absolutely amazed at the quality of sound in my back yard. Good thing I have some acreage or my neighbors would hate me.

As long as these hold up, and I think they will given who makes them; they are premier outdoor speakers. If you want the best, buy these.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Update-

It's the end of October now and I'm setting out on my deck enjoying the mild weather and listening to my sound system. The accuracy and clarity of these speakers is nothing short of stunning! It's such a pleasure to be able to sit outdoors and still enjoy audiophile grade sound. These speakers are worth every penny of what I paid for them. I'm enjoying them very much and I still highly recommend them to anyone willing to pay a little more for true quality.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2015
I compared the Definitive Technology AW6500 versus the Klipsch AW650 in my house head to head. Both were solid speakers but the Klipsch simply produced more sound at an equal quality of the DT's. I liked the size of the DT's better (they're smaller) but you can't beat the sound of the AW-650's. Also, these are fairly efficient speakers. I'm running a Yamaha RX V-1400 for power and it cranks these speakers. I also have two Klipsch rock speakers running on the same receiver. When all four are cranked up, it's pretty amazing! I spent a lot of time researching outdoor speakers and I'm very happy with the result.
on July 9, 2012
This product is awsome. I had an older pair of Klipsch on my patio but they were damagerd in a storm so I upgraded to the AW-650s. The base is very strong but not booming out of control. They sound as good as mu Klipsch towers inside the house. I thought my old ones sounded good but these blew me away. The neighbors will be envious. The $399 price was great also.
on July 23, 2011
I have used many different outdoor speakers including a old set of Cambridge Sound which have been excellent speakers. The Klipsch took it to another level. They produce excellent bass and are very clear and full in sound and project very well in my large yard. I highly recommend these speakers.
on June 21, 2016
I've had these for several years in the hot Phoenix sun (under shade of my patio - but it's still HOT). They sound great and still work well. They are very loud and I probably really only needed the 550's but that doesn't take away from the 650's getting 5 stars. Pic of my daughter, she was about 8 when the picture was taken I'd guess, but they are pretty nice size. Once hanging on the side of the house they don't seem too big outside.
review image
on May 19, 2008
I made a last minute decision to fore go the $500 DJ for a pair of these Klipsch AW-650 speakers & I connected these to a new Yamaha RX-V663. By using a Yamaha YDS-10 Ipod dock (w/an ipod of course) I was able to play party music which our party goers gave rave reviews for its sound! People kept asking me about the brand of speakers. I love these speakers! Highs, Mids, Lows, all sounded great. I would think that if you wanted window pane rattling bass, you would have to add the outdoor subwoofer. HOWEVER, the bass was clearly heard to all. These are well worth the money! You can't go wrong. Oh by the way, I have a huge yard that easily accommodated 10 six ft round tables and a serving area for the caterer.
on May 20, 2015
I installed these speakers under our eaves in our Palm Springs condo and they sound fantastic. They're a little bigger than I expected, but that was no problem, because our contractor/installer mounted them onto wood beams beneath the stucco, and he said they'll stay up forever. I'm powering them with a Denon PMA-2000IVR integrated amp, which is way more than enough juice, and sound is coming from a Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200 Hi-Fi Internet Radio Tuner, also bought from Amazon.
on July 19, 2014
These sound great. I upgraded from the 525's. More sound, however i am going to pair them with a sub and pull out the low end frequency to allow for higher volume mid's and highs. These are plenty powerful enough for any application, but i live on a lake and want to hear the music in the middle of the lake, which they do :)
on July 9, 2016
just installed the AW-650's. My wife was concerned about the size before they arrived. I convinced her the sound would be worth it:). Install went smoothly - installed on pool shed. I'm a Klipsch guy - so was excited to get these hooked up. I've seen people comment that these are as good as reference bookshelf speakers - I wouldn't go that far, but they are nice for their function(I'm very particular!). I had some old Bose 601 bookshelf speakers I would lug out for parties prior to this which seemed to provide more/better sound - but the convenience of these being mounted outdoor speakers and the good sound definitely outweighs any small sacrifice of sound. I would definitely recommend. Also, I've only had them hooked up for a few minutes. I'll give them some break-in time before really scrutinizing. My wife is playing Pitbull right now and it sounds pretty dang good!
review image
on June 30, 2014
These sound great on my screened in porch. They look huge, but if they're up high, you'll get used to it and they won't seem so big :-P. The bass is really great....especially closer to the corners where they are mounted. Out in front, they are clear and can really crank. I only use 2 channels BTW.