Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Klipsch 1010440 Qunitet IV Home Theater system -(Black HG)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

on February 19, 2011
I used the Quintet IV setup for about a year in my small-ish room and was mostly pleasantly surprised by the results and quality of this little system. Klipsch makes great speakers and this 5-channel package is no exception.

Likes:

As soon as you take the Quintets out of the box, you instantly know you're holding a quality product. The speakers are solidly built and moderately weighty; certainly heavier than you'd expect from a satellite speaker system. The binding post connectors are a nice touch and are much appreciated as for the price they charge, Klipsch could've just as easily equipped them with cheap spring connectors. Another nice touch is that the bases are dual purpose and can be used instead as wall mounts. You can tell thought has gone into the design of these speakers. All of my wire runs were relatively short and I fed these with 16-gauge speaker wire, which is more than enough at shorter distances.

Klipsch speakers are known for being extremely efficient and these are no exception. I'd expect any modern surround receiver, regardless of price, to be able to drive them very well. I used a Pioneer VSX-21TXH, but I'd expect them perform with equal aplomb when paired with an entry-level receiver. Despite their small size, they produce the signature Klipsch horn-loaded sound: crystal-clear highs, along with excellent mids for a speaker of this size. They end up sounding much "bigger" than they really are. Klipsch recommends pairing these with a subwoofer, due to the inherent limitations of satellite speakers. I chose to use a MartinLogan Dynamo 700 (10") subwoofer which blended very well with the speakers with the subwoofer volume slightly below half (again, small room) and crossed over at 80Hz (Ideally you would set the crossover higher as the speakers bottom out at 120Hz, but individual mileage may vary). When paired with a subwoofer, this setup ebbs an flows with ease when presented with dynamic movie soundtracks and really shines with lossless Blu-ray tracks. They're excellent, unobtrusive home theater speakers that you'd be hard-pressed to beat in this price range.

Dislikes:

I only found two reasons to dislike the Quintet system.

1) The Center channel: Even though this center employs the same horn-loaded tweeter as the satellites, along with two of the 3.5" midrange woofers, I often found dialogue to be somewhat weak and/or dull, which I found quite surprising. It lacks the clarity found in the other speakers and can be improved. This can be slightly remedied by boosting the center a db or two in your receiver.

2) Music performance: These are made for home theater, and unfortunately I didn't like their performance with stereo music, even when paired with the subwoofer. Stereo imaging is quite poor and I found the trademark horn-loaded bright highs to be fatiguing when listening to music. I often had to set my receiver to "Extended [5-channel] Stereo" when listening to music to get satisfactory results, which I don't think I should have to do. Admittedly, using these as music speakers is not the best idea if you plan to do any type of critical listening as they were not made for that, which is why the 4-star rating remains. However, their performance with music was my reason for discontinuing their use as my main speakers.

Conclusion: The Quintet IV system is a great system for a beginning home theater setup in small or mid-sized room and excels at playback of movie soundtracks. Get a decent subwoofer for these and they'll change your movie watching experience completely. If you plan on listening to a lot of music, however, look elsewhere; think about moving up to some small bookshelf speakers with larger enclosures for a more complete sound and better imaging.
on June 6, 2010
I recently bought this system and an extra pair of the quintet series satellite speakers to set up a 7.1 Surround packaged, I paired it with the recommended sub-woofer (the 350) and it's shocking how good it sounds. I'm using these to play True HD and DTS HD and they are stunning. We don't have a very large room so I needed something that would be a breeze to install and have look stylish on the walls. I wall-mounted these speakers and ran some cable through the walls and connected them to a pioneer 7.1 receiver. I have tested about 100 configurations to find the ideal set up for our small living room and these do not disappoint, at all. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty willing to say these are the best speakers you can get in a sub $1000 package for certain. I would only recommend these for small to medium sized living rooms and they definitely sound better then polks and bose, I don't know what hallucinogens the last guy was on... these are far superior then any polks I've heard. Do not buy if you have an open or spacious room, but still, they might be alright for that too. they are pretty loud, clear and have a lot of bass, we don't like to turn these up too loud or they hurt. Highly recommended, don't think twice if your setting up for a small room with HD and limited room. (edit) To add, I use a Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-37 (has been replaced with SC-57) and is a 20ft x 25ft room. Hope that helps, it is now several months later and I have yet to find a set-up that works as flawlessy as mine does, in fact, I compare dto a $130,000 custom home theater and my set up is better calibrated and therefore sounds better for the space it's in. The customer theater was much larger and not as well calibrated, so I could hear the surround sound as well as ours and I did this for a miniscule fraction of the cost, abotu $4000 compared to $130,000!!
55 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2013
OK ok... let's start by saying this... look at the price, now compare these speakers to other speakers in the same price/size range... they'll blow them out of the water. Klipsch is phenomenal. I've read some semi-negative reviews that say these speakers don't sound good compared to larger speakers... well... NO... no they don't... and if you want that sound, you should buy larger speakers. You wouldn't buy a pony and say "Hey! This thing doesn't run as fast as a race horse!" would you?!

I used to sell home theater equipment for a living... we carried Bose, Polk, and many other speaker brands... Klipsch was always the most impressive. If we wanted to really "wow" a customer and get them excited about setting up their home theater, we showed them Klipsch; not Bose. Bose is a great product, but highly over-rated when compared side-by-side to the other top-notch speaker companies out there. Bose isn't terrible by any means, they make great products (I have Bose in my car and love it), but I just don't prefer them when I compare them with Klipsch.

That being said, these are my favorite speakers. I've heard the Klipsch systems with the larger almost-bookshelf speakers and they were absolutely better, but that was also reflected in the price tag. ALSO, I didn't want anything too large and intense-looking for my living room because I didn't want to push my luck too much with my significant other, so these are perfect. They're fairly small and have a HUGE sound. They fit my needs perfectly. I'm about to move and for the time-being I plan to just use 2 of the speakers with a subwoofer for a nice little 2.1 system until I'm ready to run wires and go back to 5.1. It's nice to have that flexibility.
on July 28, 2011
I saw the great reviews and thought id give these a try. I bought a set on Ebay for 260 and paired them with a 110 watt x 7 channel harman/kardon 7300 receiver. i thought they were awesome because they were a terrific upgrade from my logitech z-5500 setup, and that's where most people are coming from: this is their first non-htiab, or first 5.1 setup. and for a first listen, they sound damn impressive (especially for their size). but not 4 or 5 stars people! these sound mediocre compared to other SLIGHTLY LARGER speakers, and that comparison is not reflected in a 5 star rating!

size is key with speakers, only buy these if they are the absolute largest setup you can fit in your residence.

otherwise, keep looking:
the reason i say this is because, as luck would have it, i found a set of klipsch rs-35's (2003 era, 97Db efficiency, 125 rms, retail $500) at a pawn shop a week later for $70, and plugged them in to the same setup i described above. The difference was staggering. i thought i had upgraded from my logitech setup, but THIS was the upgrade, there was a much wider margin of appreciable difference between these 2 sets of speakers, the quintets and the rs-35's, than between the logitechs and the quintets.

move some crap around and get a space cleared for something bigger, the rs-35s are 9 lbs and fit on a bookshelf, there are guys selling their reference series klipsch stuff, and you can piece together something 10x as good for **about** the same money. do a bit of research on wattage, efficiency rating, and ohm level pairing and you'll know a good buy when you see one. There's a GREAT secondary market for quality speakers, which represent a technology that hasn't evolved like the rest of your stereo;-)

I hope this was an adequate counterpoint to all those 5 star ratings. if you're not picky, these are a great no hassle, low profile, easy solution to surround sound at a decent price. if you really care...on a somewhat emotional level...about sound quality, then this solution is not for you. you, my friend have some research in front of you.
1717 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2011
Such beautiful sound out of such little speakers. They make everything sound like it's happening in the room!

Things I've noticed:

* They are MUCH louder than my previous speakers so I don't have to turn the stereo up as loudly as I used to. I had to adjust my number system for how loud I wanted things (for example, I used to play movies at -12 on my Receiver but now I set it to -18).
* My Yamaha Receiver says that their low-end cutoff is 190htz. It is obvious that they require a sub, a very good sub to match, so if you don't have a sub and you're not planning on buying one, go buy a different set of speakers (and regret it).
* The mounts work fine once their up on the wall... putting them there is a pain but only done once. No big deal.
* I read a review that said the speaker covers come off easily. Well no one dumb enough to try to pick up a speaker like this by the front grill should be allowed to have a speaker like this... or be allowed to use sharp utensils.
* I paired this up with a Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 for an amazing price. OMG what an amazing sound. I don't think I'll ever have to upgrade again!

Enjoy your Klipschs!
on November 25, 2015
No big surprise on these loudspeakers for me. I have been a dedicated Klipsch Reference Series Loudspeaker owner for many years. I needed a compact solution for my RV "Man Cave" Audio/Video Surround System. I paired this older and rare version of Quintet 5.0 with a Yamaha RXV-473 5 X 115 watts RMS Surround Reciever and Samsung 40" 1080P LED TV. Naturally you must complete the system with a Klipsch Powered Subwoofer. I am a lucky owner of another discontinued Klipsch Product, the Super Compact and way Over Powered 650 watt BASH Digital SW-308 Reference Series powered subwoofer. You can see it and read the reviews here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046L4MP8 Easy to install using the full swivel/desktop or wall mounting stands and heavy duty large wire binding posts. The supreme quality and unsurpassed Klipsch Signature Sound and Efficiency at 91 db Sensitivity never ceases to amaze me. The Quintet concept has been around in different configurations for over 14 years. I researched the newer Quintet version and compaired the 2 on paper. The price difference was way more than the very slight and audibly unnoticable performance increase and considering the loss of the universal mounting base along with the looks of the new version...it was a no brainer. I jumped on the last "Used" set available saving a substantial wad of cash, upon close inspection I could not find even one slightly visible sign this set had ever been used or even unwrapped. The box was re-sealed but as far as I can tell they were never used. With that said I wouldn't hesitate to grab a set at full price while they last, as they are discontinued and only a few remain. You have to hear these loudspeakers to believe the capabilites and performance they produce in a speaker of this size. The center unit has 2 - 3.5" Polymer Drivers and the same 3/4" Aluminum XD Micro-Tractix Horn Tweeters as the Satellites. You can't go wrong with these loudspeakers for a smaller room and at this even smaller price. Soon...these tiny powerhouse loudspeakers will be on the "No Longer Available List" and you will be slapping yourself for not pulling the trigger. Court Adjourned.
on January 12, 2016
Great speakers. Got them for a good price so can't complain. Make sure you read the description though, these are not the Quintet V speakers. The seller describes them just as 5.0 speakers, meaning 5 speakers. This is the Quintet IV. However the difference is minor and for half the price of the Quintet V's this is a great deal.
on April 13, 2016
It's worth mentioning that I owned the Klipsh Promedia 5.1 series of speakers for probably 10+ years and absolutely loved them (until the amp on the sub died), so I was expecting the same kind of sound out of this bundle of speakers. Initially I just hooked up the 4 satellite speakers as a 4.1 system to listen to music and the sound was just ok. I had to turn the treble up to max (+6db) to make the vocals come close to sounding correct, but it was tolerable. Just recently I hooked up the center channel to be very disappointed. Maybe the speaker I have is a blem but there is serious issues with the speaker to reproduce the high frequencies. It seriously sounds as if you are listening to the speaker from another room. The mids and lows are fine but without the vocals it throws the whole sound off.

The best thing about these speakers is the base plate that comes with the satellite speakers, allowing you to connect them to a ceiling or wall without having to buy separate brackets.
on January 14, 2013
I bought these and a pair extra (series 5, could not get series 4 pair) for my 7.2 HT. Sound is amazing. The series 4 has a nice stand/wall mount for four speakers. The center one does not have wall mount and it was difficult to find a proper mount for it.

Sound is great for movies. I have to test more with the songs/instrumental music. Paired with Klipsch 350 Sub.

Note(about amazon): I first bought these from "Fulfilled by Amazon" dealer. The price was more than the other dealers but I bought it from this dealer thinking it will be better. But, the box I received had 3 shipping labels removed, which means it was a returned product and not brand new. I bought another set from amazon, much cheaper then this dealer and the box was in mint condition. So, I am no more going to trust the "Fulfilled by Amazon" dealers blindly.
on January 31, 2016
I like the speakers.
I don't like the wall mount option for the center channel which is poorly chosen.
The voice reproduction is perfect.
The lower midbase suffers quite a bit.
My old Yamaha sub does not work well at higher frequencies so I can't get a perfect match which leaves a hole.
The wall mounts are nice once you get used to them.
They work and the hole through the center is perfect.
Nice clean installs.