Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 50 reviews
on November 26, 2013
Really enjoyed this book!
My ancestors came to American from Ireland, but we know little about them beyond names and some dates. I was lucky enough to go to Ireland this year and see it for the first time. This book brings to life the kind of world my ancestors would have lived--a time when everything was done by hand and the whole family pitched in. The author's mother made sandwiches for him to bring to school from her fresh baked bread. I wonder if the bread was the wonderful Irish Soda Bread or Brown Bread that we all think of when we think of Irish breads. The life on the farm must have been so exhausting, but the family all worked together and seemed so close. It was a hard but happy life. Each chapter is basically like a short story of a memory of the author's life (or one of his ancestors' lives). I really didn't want the book to end. I would happily read many more stories of his life in Ireland. I hope the author will write more about Ireland someday.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2012
I originally stumbled onto this book by looking for titles on the Klondike which is one of my favorite topics of literature and history. Not far behind that however is Irish Memoirs as my family heritage is Northern Irish. Coming across this combination on both themes made it an easy decision to make to pick up for my Kindle.

I wasn't disappointed. Although the Klondike element didn't come in until the end and was a relatively small part of the overall work, I thoroughly enjoyed this compendium of recollections from a small Irish Farm along with poetry, photos and illustrations. The writing was rich. The sense of nostalgia oozed sepia-toned monochrome emotions throughout and I left the work feeling a part of a past that while not my own; could have been.

A worthwhile entertaining read made just a little bit better by its Klondike connection at the end.

5 stars

bart breen
on June 11, 2013
Klondike House, seems like a strange title at first (all is revealed in the last chapter) for a book reminiscing about an Irish childhood spent growing up on the wild and remote Beara Peninsula, in West Cork. I have just returned from a magnificent few days down there, so can easily 'place' this book, its scenery, fields and town lands, even the spring lambs. But apart from the wonderfully descriptive narrative "cows were loveable fools with bulging bellies and trusting eyes and tongues they could stick up their noses" what I liked most about it is that the author never lapses into sentimentality, it is fresh and real and respectful, full marks, John. Susan Byron author of Irelands Hidden Gems.com

Ireland's Hidden Gems - Places To See
on July 15, 2012
This was a fun read. It could have been areas in Scotland where I grew up. John really made life on an old farm vivid and reminder of how life used to be. His characters were interesting and it was almost like you might have known them years ago or stories you heard of your grandparents. School was like that. I wonder if my arthritis in my hand knuckles is not the effect of the ruler being used so often on them when I was young.
on June 14, 2012
After reading of John Dwyer's childhood in Ireland, I wish I could have lived there. In fact, I wish I could live there now. Reading his memories and of his life on the farm was marvelous. I wish the book had been longer. In fact, that's my only fault. I want to know more about him, and his siblings, who are mostly glossed over. This book makes you almost smell the turf as it's being cut, and think about how it must smell in the winter on the fire. Mr. Dwyer, you had an enviable childhood, and thank you for sharing it with us.
on January 11, 2013
An absolutely wonderful read. It's a short, sweet trip down memory lane into a country, a people and a life I don't know, interspersed with history, culture and religion. I read it on a glorious windy day here in Madras, India, and don't think the morning could have been spent any better.

Take my word, get up one Sunday morning, make some coffee, sit and read all of it. You'll not be disappointed.

The best parts of the novella are the old Irish poems that decorate the narrative like the lights on the Christmas tree John describes in the book, and the Irish-American historical narrative right at the very end, giving the story context and completion.

Lovely stuff.
on May 29, 2012
I loved this book! I'm first generation American-Irish and the stories brought back fond memories of trips to Ireland. The storytelling felt so natural & comfortable (and humorous!) that it reminded me of family gatherings where you sip a cup of tea and listen as the storytellers weave their web and no matter where you are, you are magically transported back to the Old Country.
on January 12, 2013
I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed this book immensely.

As I read the book, images of farmlife just flooded my mind and reminded me of the stories of my father's youth and the holidays I spent in Austria with my grandparents there.

I may have an evil touch in me as I cackled at the humorous (but possibly dangerous?) tale of The Beast and that of the Strawberry Cow.

Christmas in such a faraway land sounded similar to my christmasses as a child (except for the snow and the turkey story).

This book has effectively given me the "country" bug... I want to go visit my family in countryside Austria now!
on April 16, 2012
For anyone who lived the years that John describes, or those who wish to know what it felt like, this is the book for you.

John's relaxing style allows you to flip page after page in a gentle up and down (e)motion that seems to match your breathing had you actually been there yourself. From the hurried heartbeat of the first day of school, to the relaxed pace of wandering for hours in a country landscape, the words take you on the journey as seem through the eyes of a child growing into a young man.

Take the time to sit back, relax and enjoy musings from the past!
on June 19, 2014
Last month I visited Ireland for the first time and as you can imagine I can't wait to go back! We explored the Beara Peninsula and I will never forget the beautiful land and friendly people. While looking for a Holy Well, we happened upon the Ballycrovane ogham stone and was pleasantly surprised to read a similar experience occurring in Klondike House! This book ended far too soon and I would love to read more by this engaging author!