Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 149 reviews
on October 23, 2010
Don't let the Publisher's Weekly review keep you from reading this book. I downloaded it because at $3.99 it wasn't going to be a big loss if the book was no good. Hah! It was great...I was expecting a Patricia Cornwell/James Patterson type novel and this was much, much better, with a completely unpredictable ending! Police/doctor mysteries are not what I usually read, but this was just different enough that it held my interest throughout. It's hard to give a synopsis without creating a spoiler but just read it...you won't be disappointed and if you have a Kindle, it's a great bargain at twice the price.
on March 2, 2017
I am not the type of reviewer that completely analyzes all aspects of a book but I will say this was a well written story. The characters seemed to be someone that at least once in our lives we met or were friends with even. I appreciated the dual perspectives that were used when describing an event so that the author didn't have to go back and rewrite the same scenario for each character. The ending was Clever, I normally can predict the ending but this one caught me off guard. Well worth your time to pick up and read.
on April 1, 2017
This is the 2nd book I've read by Carnoy and the layering and complexity of the story made it very intriguing and hard to put down. I read it in one sitting because it was so captivating and believable. I hate spoilers, so I won't divulge any details, but this one keeps you guessing from start to finish.
on October 19, 2016
I met David Carnoy in a hotel bar while out with friends in NYC. He told us he'd written this book, his first novel, so I bought one. I had no idea it would be so good - I am still recommending it years later. Not the usual predictable thriller - and not too violent, either (I don't like that). Just enough to keep you reading and wondering what will come next. And Carnoy proves life isn't predictable. His writing is super; will read more of his books.
on July 4, 2017
Kindle's main value for me is finding books like this from e-mail offers and readers' reviews, books I otherwise would never stumble upon. I started with Carnoy's second novel "The Big Exit" which I got at a bargain price. It was so excellently written, so involving that I purchased this, his first book. And it was fine, an auspicious debut. Carnoy is a major talent: his prose is clear and clever, his plots inventive with surprising twists that don't seem like cheats, and he has a way with character development that is superior to most genre novelists. I'm ordering his third book; and I don't expect to be disappointed.
on August 22, 2010
Knife Music is part medical thriller and part police procedural, and it certainly has all the gut-level suspense of a detective story. But this is no ordinary thriller. In the tradition of Richard Price or Dennis Lehane, Carnoy digs so deeply into the past experiences that have led to the motivations, secret or subconscious thoughts of each of his main characters that you almost feel guilty for eavesdropping. He has a remarkable ear for dialogue; in a line or two or maybe a single phrase of age-appropriate lingo he conjures a character's history and emotional baggage, masterfully rendering the rhythms and inflections of speech, cadence, tone, and cultural dialect. Movies and popular music are the common language of all these characters; images from iconic films of the past three decades appear throughout the narrative as reminders of who we are and who we've been. The people in this story are so human, so fleshed out, that one can't help but recognize them.
Tying together all the elements of this excellent literary thriller is the author's cinematic sense of pacing. The novel covers a period of about ten months and is written in the present tense, except for the intermittent flashbacks that supply back-story. Carnoy zips backwards and forwards through the immediate and distant past with remarkable ease, giving the reader an easy-to-follow timeline in the form of a police log date stamp at the opening of each scene. Along the way he manages to reveal just enough of the hidden depths of his characters' hearts to keep his reader turning the pages.
on January 2, 2011
I stumbled upon this treasure, when trolling for some books to take with me on vacation. Sounded good, price was right, so I grabbed it. What a wonderful surprise to find it one I couldn't put down! Kept me on the edge of my seat right up until the last page. Some reviewers have been critical of the writer's style of bouncing back and forth between time periods.....but I actually found that interesting.

Some of my favorite authors are Harlan Coben, Nelson DeMille, David Baldacci, Michael Connelly, Stieg Larsson, and James Patterson. If you like them, I think you'll enjoy "Knife Music".

One of the most enjoyable reads I've had for a while. Have been telling all my friends about it. Can't wait until the author's next book comes out!
on February 15, 2014
This was a first novel by David Cornoy. The plot revolves around a surgeon who is accused of sleeping with a teenager and in doing so causing her eventual suicide. The story line wasn't bad and there were some nice twists and turns. But I there were several places that I became aware of the writing, and not in a good way. It felt sometimes like a piece of writing submitted to a creative writing class. The writer certainly has potential (and he received lots for raves on Amazon.com) but I do hope that his next books are a little more polished. I have to admit that one of the things that drew me to the book (after reading the reviews) was the incredibly low price for the Kindle edition ($3.99).
on January 31, 2011
Overall, I loved reading this book. The characters had enough depth to them that, even though the story is fictitious, that the story could have been real. Each character had just enough background and just enough flaws, the scenes have just enough details, and the storyline is so effective that the book comes alive. It's definitely a page turner.

However, I took one star off because there were loose ends.
Sometimes, rules are made that seem harsh and a bit stupid; but it is this kind of rule that protects us in the long run. Dr. Cogan broke one of these rules; it got him into the bad situation that is the plot. His rule-breaking was never addressed. The reason for the book was forgotten. A big discrepancy between the story of a witness and the diary was never addressed and should have been taken out or changed. I don't like loose ends.

The twist at the end of the story was a stroke of genius on Carnoy's part as was the title. I do not hesitate to recommend this book.
on October 31, 2010
I have been in a reading rut and was looking for something new, and Kindle had this book priced $3.99, for a first time author. The premise seemed interesting and the ratings were really good so I thought I would give it a try. I really liked it- it moved along well and had a solid ending. I will look for more from this author and thank you Amazon for pricing it right for me to give it a try, I don't know if I would have otherwise.