BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Nothing about knitting is truly "revolutionary"--a few centuries' worth of dedicated knitters have discovered (or independently rediscovered) everything there is to know about knitting. In this book, "revolutionary" knitting simply means "knitting in rounds" or "circular knitting"--although in these patterns designer Daniel Yuhas often adds a highly creative "spin" on established, well-known techniques. (For example, he creates an i-cord necklace with dangling tubular flowers that is knitted in one piece!)

Patterns that I particularly love in this unusual collection are (1) the tall "conehead" hats that stand up by themselves (tight gauge and the method of increasing are the secret); (2) the one-piece, half-moon "flummox" mittens (start with a tube, convert it to an octagon, add some short rows, and use decreases to seam the whole thing up); (3) the heel-up socks (start at the center of the bottom of the heel of the foot, knit an octagon, and work parts of the octagon separately, until it's time for everything to "come together in an origami moment"); (4) the net-like over-the-knee "swoosh" socks (a tube is knit in stockinette, then every third stitch is dropped to form long ladders from hip to toe); and (5) the ripple baby blanket (knitted as an Archimedean spiral).

Yuhas' book also includes some less-adventurously-knit patterns for several pretty shawls (e.g., the Feather and Fan Shawl, the gossamer Isosceles Shawl), blankets (e.g., the Dahlia Blanket, the Star Play Mat), and sweaters (e.g., the Leaf-Yoke Sweater, the Hood-Down Hoodie). The amazing thing about Yuhas' patterns, is how good the directionally-knit garments look when they're worn by real people.

This is a book that belongs in every technical knitter's collection, because of the highly creative ideas for directional knitting. The book also has interesting explanations of some mathematical concepts (e.g., the Fibonacci series, the Archimedean spiral), as well as good photographic tutorials on a variety of different circular cast-on techniques. KNITTING FROM THE CENTER OUT is probably a book for advanced knitters, although the instructions (which include excellent schematic drawings) are so clear that adventurous intermediate knitters should be able to knit the patterns.
on November 14, 2014
This book is full of fun and innovative patterns. There are many things that I love about this book. One is that Mr. Yuhas explains all the different shapes you can make while knitting from the center out. Each section of the book progresses from easy patterns to more challenging ones. There are also illustrations for shaping and how the project should look after certain sections on the more challenging projects. One of the things that I love about this book is that the patterns are charted AND written. I cannot read charts to save my life and it has been challenging to find books that aren't just charted. A few stitches I did have to find tutorials on how to do them because I had not encountered them in previous knitting projects. Written and photographs of how to do stitches are provided in the back of the book. I am a "show me and I will do it with you" style of learner, so YouTube is my friend. However, the photos and instructions are very well done.

Another thing I really love is that I have never purchased a knitting book with so many patterns I have been excited to get done! I started immediately on the "Tree of Life Afghan" and I am in love with the pattern.

I have been knitting for 10(ish) years and I feel that this book is an excellent addition to any library. It is great because it teaches us techniques we may not have thought of. I would seriously recommend this book for any knitter.
on March 4, 2017
I read this book at a library in Indiana and fell in love with it! It has many adorable and beautiful projects and explains the center-out method quite well. After moving back to OK I couldn't find this book anywhere. Also, there are no ebooks available of it that I could find. But I knew I had to have it and am glad I bought it!!!!!
VINE VOICEon November 27, 2012
Love, LOVE this book. I haven't knit anything from it yet, so can't vouch for the particulars like tech editing and proofreading, but the designs have a lot to offer, with some great twists on the usual. Love the "use any yarn, any gauge" hats and the whole explanation of "sometimes, you just want to cast on the shiny new yarn, not swatch." What knitter doesn't know that feeling? The stuffed octopi are adorable and there are some great blankets in here too. I think I will learn a lot from this book, and after 40+ years of knitting, that's saying something.
on February 1, 2017
This is an amazing book for knitting enthusiasts. The patterns are unique and easy. (You have to be willing to follow a pattern!) The notes and general instructions make it stress free for those like me.... i.e. I learnt to knit a long time ago but haven't really kept it up for the last couple of decades. The book has patterns for shawls, hats, wraps, baby blankets, baby toys.
on March 17, 2017
Still working at it
on February 12, 2016
I found this to be a great technical book on knitting in the round, I often refer to it when I can't remember the best cast on methods for circular items knit from the center out. I've made the hats in the book and the Dahlia blanket but with a picot bind-off, the blanket turned out really well and the pattern was very easy to memorize.
on September 4, 2014
GOOD!!! So this product is a winner in my book. I can honestly highly recommend this product. I count on Amazon reviews when I make purchases, and know that others do the same. I would never want to influence anyone to make a product purchase, which I don't believe is worth buying. If my review is helpful, let me know by checking helpful. This review expresses my real opinion about this product.
on December 17, 2012
This is an amazing book. It has fabulous patterns that are different from the usual drivel. If it only had patterns, I would give it a four, but Yuhas goes into detail about how to knit at various rates of increase/decrease to help the knitter make original patterns. This is for knitters who like to go past the flat to the three-dimensional for a little tangled adventure.
on October 10, 2015
Fascinating to read; started a shawl project, but have not had enough quiet time to progress far. So far, it is understandable. I knit socks from the toe up and would say I am a slightly above average knitter.